Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just noticing the the drivers rear tire is being worn heavily inside from improper alignment.

I've read all the post here and elsewhere about adding the Moog Control Arm RK100120 to the rear to be able to adjust the tire angles.

The other thing is I wonder is this effected by the rear spring height?? I noticed several months ago my 2007 Elantra seems to ride a bit lower in the rear than others I've noticed.
TIA
John

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Not many cars allow full adjustment on the rear so what your looking at should allow it to correct the problem. Not familiar with the Elantra setup but others have a negative camber from the factory which causes tyre wear on the inside edge. They must think we all drive on race tracks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm having a tire that's almost to the belts only on the inside after 4800 miles. The other (passengers) side appears to be wearing consistently across the entire tread area.
I don't recall anything that I may have hit to cause a change in the toe/cat/camber of the drivers side rear tire.
Just didn't want to go thru the trouble of reworking the suspension only to find that the spring was the issue all along. (and i'll have it apart anyway to replace the parking brake shoes so have at the spring and new adjuster also)
I'll plan to get a couple of pics posted in the morning.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Never had any issues with my i30s which have the same rear end except when the shocks started to go and chop up the inner edge. Toe-in is adjustable,maybe a bushing has failed in an arm?

Camber is -1 +- 0.5 Degrees

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got it scheduled for the free alignment check at my local Hyundai dealer thursday. We'll find out if it's a toe/camber issue. Maybe they'll be nice and give it a look for a bad part while on the rack.
Adjustment parts won't be here until Friday, but hoping it's a $7 bushing too though.
Back to my original question about it being a coil spring issue, if the spring has allowed the assembly to raise the suspension arm because it's not at the original height? Like not exactly right because it's moved??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s a Michelin X series. November 2018, made in Oklahoma. The other three are doing very well with little if any wear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That does look like camber wear.
Toe wear causes noticable feathering that doesn't look evident in that picture.
I shimmed the whole backing plate on my getz to bring it back into acceptable alignment after it was rear ended. Not an ideal solution but something to consider if you run out of options.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That does look like camber wear.
Toe wear causes noticable feathering that doesn't look evident in that picture.
I shimmed the whole backing plate on my getz to bring it back into acceptable alignment after it was rear ended. Not an ideal solution but something to consider if you run out of options.
I’m expecting delivery of the adjustable camber arm today. I’ll get it check as quick as I can get into a shop after install.
I can do the protractor method of DIY alignment if it’s going to be a couple of days.
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts