Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a pad, not saying what cause I'm embarrassed, to clean bugs off the front of my 4 mo old black Azera. Scratched the you know what off the front "plastic" bumper. My detailer did the best he could but you can still see the scratching effect of the pad. I'd say he got about 65-85% of the scratching out. Detailer also indicated that a few coats of wax will eliminate much of the scratching still left. My question is, what wax/polish should I use??? Otherwise, I'm going to have to take the car to the detailer to repaint. I think I need a wax/polish that penetrates but I guess I'm as clueless about this as I was about using the **** pad in the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any of the good name brand waxes at the auto parts store will be fine. Maguires or Mothers are good waxes. You must have been really been applying a lot of pressure to scratch your car that bad. When you need to remove bugs get some bug and tar remover and use an old tshirt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't know the half of it. Also scratched the hood but detailer got all the scratches out of that. It's the "soft" plastic bumper finish that created the biggest problem. Paint job now looks a bit dull/hazy - a horrible lesson to learn. Used the same pad on my black Lincoln tc I traded in and didn't bother it a bit.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also understand that kerosene removes tar and I don't believe it hurts the paint. I did a search one time when I had a glob of tar on my front bumper that was hardened and there are many remedies that you can try. Just do a search.

As for the scratches, if the detailer couldn't get them out, you will not find any polish on the market that will help you.

I remember now. I found a site that said to use peanut butter to remove the tar and low and behold it did with a little work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used a pad, not saying what cause I'm embarrassed, to clean bugs off the front of my 4 mo old black Azera. Scratched the you know what off the front "plastic" bumper. My detailer did the best he could but you can still see the scratching effect of the pad. I'd say he got about 65-85% of the scratching out. Detailer also indicated that a few coats of wax will eliminate much of the scratching still left. My question is, what wax/polish should I use??? Otherwise, I'm going to have to take the car to the detailer to repaint. I think I need a wax/polish that penetrates but I guess I'm as clueless about this as I was about using the **** pad in the first place.
:eek::eek: know the feeling well... years ago wife thought she would help out with the car while I was away for a few days..... she used a kitchen scourer pad on the roof of a red wagon to get some bird droppings off, left about 3 cup sized orange spots instead :mad:....... I've pretty much washed the cars ever since!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I also understand that kerosene removes tar and I don't believe it hurts the paint. I did a search one time when I had a glob of tar on my front bumper that was hardened and there are many remedies that you can try. Just do a search.

As for the scratches, if the detailer couldn't get them out, you will not find any polish on the market that will help you.

I remember now. I found a site that said to use peanut butter to remove the tar and low and behold it did with a little work.
I have been removing bugs from the front of car using "SCRUBBING BUBBLE" bathroom spray cleaner for years. Apply heavy coat wait 3 or 4 min. and spray off 90% of the bugs. It doesn't seem of affect the wax job either...........

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are scratch removers on he market to remove fine scrathes. Novus and X20 are good for fine scratches. If they are deep, that's another story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Photo 1 is the before shot, see the badly touched up scratch and a decent shine on the black car. Photo 2 is after I used the 3M kit and you can now clearly read the numbers on my garbage can and see my 2013 white Sonata in the reflection of the black paint.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts