Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really disappointed in “self opening trunk” ripple/side effect of keyless ignition

Mentioned previously in my “1 month later post” but is now 3 months and still bumbed out about basically going back to primitive times in not being able to open my trunk with the remote.

Because the Hyundai factory remote can open the trunk with a 1 second push of the button, and I had numerous “self openings” I ended up disabling it entirely by removing the trunk’s fuse. Problem solved....sort of. Except with no manual key lock or lever on the trunk (the lever over the license plate area is electronic and ALSO disabled) I can only open it with the lever on the floor next to the driver’s seat.

When I asked the aftermarket alarm and remote start installer if Viper would maybe offer a remote some day that could ALSO replace the factory remote so it would not be needed to drive the car, he said no way. Cause the automakers will never release their [electronic] key codes to a third party vendor.

It makes sense, but really disappointed.

Any creative ideas (besides trading for a regular key ignition car)?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did. But I don’t trust it 100%.
Few weeks ago came out after a night of thunderstorms to find an open trunk and 3/4 of an inch of standing water in my entire trunk.

Luckily the oversisized weather tech mat (was bought for my 2015 Elantra whose trunk was a smidgen bigger) saved the day. And I confess I wasn’t using the covered remote that day, but it scared and angered me, hence the fuse removal, which I saw as a sort of neutering of the remote’s function.

Admittedly never had an accidental trunk opening with the remote cover in place, but want 100% effectiveness and if the trunk EVER opens by itself again....we’ll not willing to chance it.

. I AM using the cover now and last week the panic alarm went off. Was only once, but Bluelink alerts me when that happens. It doesn’t have an option to alert if your trunk opens. —-It will tell you if it’s open, but not passively. You have to login and check. And how frequently would be enough to have peace of mind?

If only Bluelink could ADD that feature for the trunk.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Get a $5 cover and problem solved. This same question has been posted on every model and the answer is always the same. No point in losing thousands trading it in.

·
Registered
844 Posts
...Admittedly never had an accidental trunk opening with the remote cover in place, but want 100% effectiveness and if the trunk EVER opens by itself again....we’ll not willing to chance it.

. I AM using the cover now and last week the panic alarm went off...
Sounds like you just need to give it time. Since the remote cover is working for you, you might find that a year from now, you won't be so concerned about it. The alarm goes off for me every now and then--if I have other things in my pocket, and I bend over or shift my weight.

another worthwhile investment might be a car cover. They are waterproof and if it's custom made for the Elantra, will fit snug around the bumper. Also cheaper than the loss you'll take if you trade it in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get the key cover. I've bought key fob covers for every car I've had- mainly to protect those overpriced fobs from damage. If you're that worried, I've heard some folks get a small rigid container (like a pill box) to put the remote in before it goes in their pocket.

Reality is this is NOT an Elantra or Hyundai issue. ANY remote from any automaker can potentially trigger unintended in a pocket (or purse) if a button gets pressed.

In fact, the E's (remote) key fob design is better than most in that regard. The buttons on either end of the remote face are Lock (would just relock the car) and Panic (and the alarm would just silence after a couple minutes). The trunk lid button is in the middle of the remote face so LESS likely to be triggered by accident.

FWIW- I applaud Hyundai's design in providing a manual (non-electric) trunk opening lever as it allows access to the trunk if your fob battery dies unexpectedly. Some automakers have not yet figured that out.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
Ive managed to remote start a Jeep Wrangler with its key/fob all in one. It requires a "x2" press of the start button to start it and I assume a lock fairly close before pressing the start button. Dont ask me how I managed that but it was in my pocket when I did so.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I managed to pop the trunk on my Elantra a few weekends ago, right before going to sleep, and the trunk stayed open all night. Luckily I was staying in a small town that night so nobody decided to take advantage of that...

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
What model is this? Our 2017 Limited does not have this problem. 2012 Cruze sure did, came up with a fix with a so called double shot relay requiring two pushes of the button within a given time frame.

My dealer didn't even know about this, the way I had to find out was to call GM directly, that was a job, trying to find somebody that knew something about their product. They called my dealer directly for a fix.

Reason why we have to deal with dealers, sell a product that requires a lot of servicing, and they are suppose to know all this stuff. One thing I did not like to hear, trade it in for a new one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Hadn't thought to ask Hyundai directly yet. The Hyundai dealer and the alarm installerboth told me
early on that only the top (door lock) button on the rmeote was programmable, but maybe they're mistaken?

And the silicone remote covers might work out just fine, but still troubles me that they don't guarantee the
trunk will never open accidentally. And 80-90% effectiveness wont help if the trunk opens again during a
rainstorm and has another inch or so of water in it the next morning.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
It's not just the electric option, I've popped my manual truck open on occasion. Cover does help. I've learned to not have anything else in the pocket the fob is in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not just the electric option, I've popped my manual truck open on occasion. Cover does help. I've learned to not have anything else in the pocket the fob is in.

That wont work for me. Have lots of keys in my pocket all the time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fail..... Trunk was open just now

Had been a few weeks since it opened, and today is beautiful bright sunshine, so no harm done ----except to my mood. But a co-worker just informed me that my trunk was open.

Don't know why I find it embarrassing. Maybe cause people tend to presume you left it open through absent mindedness? Anyway... it really pisses me off. And yes, I had the silicone cover on it. And I even have something rigged up so that IF the trunk opens it only opens a few inches and not wide open, which would hopefully result in minor moisture accumulation if it's raining, vs gallons of water. And it worked as hoped, but I don't care, cause it's ridiculous that the remote only requires one short push to open it.

In a grand bit of irony, the alarm went off when I closed the trunk. But when it opens while the car is locked.... nothing. No sound, no bluelink message.... nothing!!!!

So... for now, have effectively neutered it again by removing the fuse.

I may check with Hyundai (not the dealer) to see if there is a hidden code or something thye can change. Or maybe I'll see if an aftermarket place can hookup an old fashioned beeper to the trunk that will alert me if it opens. Had a beeper alarm on my 1985 Chevy Cavelier.

Not sure how they would prevent it from going off if I opened the trunk on purpose, but geez.... this is nutz. At least if I would be alerted when it opened. wouldn't be so bad.

Bluelink alerts me if it's hit, or started, so why not the trunk opening???

Ok.... done with my rant. But it really sucks that in 47 some years of driving I have NEVER had this problem. And now on this supposedly technologically advanced car, I do. This is progress???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts