Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend from France who makes carbon fiber parts for Mazda Mx5's. He makes Carbon doors, fenders, wings, hoods, roof... anything really. Yet he also recently made a Carbon fiber diffuser for a Ferrari F430.

So we were in talks about making a carbon fiber diffuser for the Sonata because the Genesis coupe got one, why cant we! so my question would be:

Who would be interested in one
How much would you be willing to pay (be reasonable here since it's REAL carbon fiber)

Just fishing what you guys think.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
It would be a sweet part especially if you can get him to extend it further under the chassis to cover up the bumper lip. Then not only would it be for looks it would have some functionality to it too.

However true carbon fiber is costly (as you so indicated). I think you should just get a one off for yourself as I doubt many here would pay the going rate for a true carbon fiber piece of that size.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be a sweet part especially if you can get him to extend it further under the chassis to cover up the bumper lip. Then not only would it be for looks it would have some functionality to it too.

However true carbon fiber is costly (as you so indicated). I think you should just get a one off for yourself as I doubt many here would pay the going rate for a true carbon fiber piece of that size.
yah, we're thinking of extending the bottom fins more so that it's more flush with the bottom bumper lines as the OEM one kinda tilts upwards with the bumper.

For the price we're not 100% sure yet because first we need to see how it looks, he's going to be using a OEM dual exhaust one as the template and we'll mod the design accordingly.

But the MOBIS one already goes for around $200-300 so Im not thinking it will be more than $400-500 which I think should be reasonable. I'll keep you guys updated, but on another note we're also thinking about a CF trunk with a small lip molded in like the CLS CF trunk...

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
yah, we're thinking of extending the bottom fins more so that it's more flush with the bottom bumper lines as the OEM one kinda tilts upwards with the bumper.

For the price we're not 100% sure yet because first we need to see how it looks, he's going to be using a OEM dual exhaust one as the template and we'll mod the design accordingly.

But the MOBIS one already goes for around $200-300 so Im not thinking it will be more than $400-500 which I think should be reasonable. I'll keep you guys updated, but on another note we're also thinking about a CF trunk with a small lip molded in like the CLS CF trunk...
As long as things all line up and its a good fit, 4-500 is more than reasonable for a true carbon fiber part.

And what I meant by extending it under the car was to make it more than a bumper applique (part ends at the bottom of the bumper cover closest to ground). It would extend under the car to allow the air to go through the diffuser versus being caught on the inner/under lip of the bumper. However I suspect something of that design would introduce a comma into the price. ;)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Another thing to add. Shipping isn't going to be cheap for such a large part (as I assume your location is where the gentlemen is creating the part).

Its a pay to play market. :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing to add. Shipping isn't going to be cheap for such a large part (as I assume your location is where the gentlemen is creating the part).

Its a pay to play market. :D
Lol, yah we were thinking of extending it over the bumper to make it useful.. Hit me up some ideas and we'll run through them

Shipping wise I dunno, he has his own sources for that so I don't think it will be like "Kdm" expensive lol

So who would be interested ?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd only be interested if there was a matching hood and trunk personally.
we're going to do that depending on the number of people interested. Granted shipping wont be super cheap since it's rather large....

For the trunk we're thinking similar style to the E90 BMW CLS - carbon with a lip molded...

Hood design will be pretty similar to stock design since the Sonata isn't very aggressive looking so it should be subtle... we're thinking of getting small vents done maybe similar to the Seibon E90 hoods... small vents on the side

First will be the diffuser, afterwards we will move on to getting a trunk made and the hood will be the last since it's the largest piece.

Granted pictures would make it easier to see who'd be interested and I WILL post some once the diffuser is done.. the parts WILL be functional parts and not just for show

Don't worry, we'll get hood, trunk and diffusers done and it wont look too bad since im the one helping with the designs and my YF turned out pretty decent :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts