Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my LWB on August 19, 2013, the salesman went over the car features. When describing the GPS, he explained that the great feature with the current model is that the Map Updates are exactly the same as with Garmin. Map updates are done with the provided SD card and simply downloaded and installed directly from the card. I never would pay for an OEM GPS since the Garmin are always firmware upgradable and LTM are available.

Now I have been told online that they were never free! I have contacted the dealership to talk with the salesman and guess what - he is no longer there! I have an email in to the sales manager and will update this post as updates become available. What is your experience with GPS updates??

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I purchased my LWB on August 19, 2013, the salesman went over the car features. When describing the GPS, he explained that the great feature with the current model is that the Map Updates are exactly the same as with Garmin. Map updates are done with the provided SD card and simply downloaded and installed directly from the card. I never would pay for an OEM GPS since the Garmin are always firmware upgradable and LTM are available.

Now I have been told online that they were never free! I have contacted the dealership to talk with the salesman and guess what - he is no longer there! I have an email in to the sales manager and will update this post as updates become available. What is your experience with GPS updates??
Sorry to tell you that the map updates are not free. Never have been. Map updates aren't free for most (if not all) in dash GPS systems. It is not just a Hyundai thing.

Good luck trying to get the dealer to absorb the cost. If I had to guess, I bet they might agree to pay for one map update in the interest of good customer service, but I would be surprised if they agreed to pay for map updates for the life of the vehicle. Since you don't have anything in writing, and the salesperson is gone, it will be hard for you to make case for the dealer to eat the cost forever.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the news is much worse than thought. Naturally, the sales manager was out until Friday but I did talk with a couple of folks at the dealership. At first, the guy I talked to said "the way I understand it is the maps are in a cloud and she ever you view them they are constatntly updated." I explained what I had read online. We then went to service and talked with service folks regarding map updates. He said that when updates are available, Hyundai sends a notice. Then you must schedule the car in for about 6 hours to have the update installed ------ and get this, the 2013 LWB nav update is nearly $400!!!!! Well, the shi# hit the fan at that point! The guy in charge at the dealership explained I got such an amazing deal that they could not possibly do free lifetime maps but he would talk with the sales manager on friday and see if they could possibly give a one-time update.

:mad:Have any of you heard that this vehicle nav updates are $400? I will simply buy a large screen Garmin with LTM and be good to go. I just would rather not have another device laying in my car!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi that is criminal,there are no new up dates as of now. Navteq supplies most of the car companies, they will sell direct -guessing $ 100-125 (have not been on their site in a while) Garmin is by far the best, pity only Chrysler uses them

·
Registered
756 Posts
$400 seems to be way off... I would expect below $100 per update. If not... I would be very, very disappointed an go look for a different solution.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dude, I think you have the Keystone Cops as your dealer. First of all, there is no map update yet available for a new 2013 Santa Fe. The maps are only updated once a year or so (not continually like Garmin), so if you bought your vehicle in August 2013, you have the latest maps. The dealer should have told you that.

Second, the map updates, when they are available, are $199, not $400. You order them online here:

https://www.mapnsoft.com/us/hyundai/search.asp

Lastly, and I can't vouch for this becauseI haven't had to update my maps yet, it appears that you just order the update and install it yourself. I don't see where the dealer would need to be involved at all in the process.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mgibson

The dealer insists the map update cannot be done by the consumer and the complete update takes up to 6 hours. That is why the cost is so high. As the website says : (Note : Some of map updates may require you to visit a dealer for installation)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mgibson

The dealer insists the map update cannot be done by the consumer and the complete update takes up to 6 hours. That is why the cost is so high. As the website says : (Note : Some of map updates may require you to visit a dealer for installation)
I understand that is what they said, and I'm not disputing that is what they told you, but I find it shockingly unbelievable that annual map updates are $400 for the Santa Fe and require dealer installation.

That is not even what the navigation manual says. The manual that came with the car says "map and software updates can be downloaded from the designated website (HYUNDAI MNSOFT - HYUNDAI & KIA) and updated through the SD card." It simply strains credibility to believe that a map update would involve 6 hours of labor from the dealer and $400.

I still say your dealer is giving you bs information. Given that an update isn't even available, I'm not even sure how they know what the cost and procedure is.

When an update is available next year, I am assuming that I will be able to get it for $199 and install it myself. That is still pretty ridiculous, but that is the going rate for most in dash systems. I won't worry about it until then. Suggest you do the same. I can virtually guarantee you that you (or anybody) will not be paying $400 for a map update.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will actually wait until Friday and hope that the sales manager will, in good faith, honor one free update. I do agree with everything you say and see when the update comes out. Thanks for replying! All this being said, I do think this is the best OEM nave I have used, compared to Acura and Infinity!

·
Banned
358 Posts
On the Sonata Mapnsoft would mail you a USB thumb drive and you can install it in around 45 minutes. Dealers can do it as well, but they would need it for a lot longer so that they can charge the $400 to the gullible person.

Either they will send out a SD card update or a USB one. It updates the maps and also all the other software within the unit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bought a SF GLS with nav yesterday, was told the Nav updated through the GPS.. I kind of LOL'd. But what I found odd was the dealership I bought it from didn't even show up on the nav. The dealership has been there two years.

·
Banned
358 Posts
With my Sonata my dealership wasn't on the map either and it's been there for a while lol. I kind of funny that Hyundai maps don't even have their own dealership as a POI.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have talked with two more folks at the dealership and have moved up two more rungs on the ladder. It has been reconfirmed again that the map/software update for the 2013 Sante Fe LWB Ltd, when available, will be a dealer only install item and will be $367. Kind of funny how many folks have been told that map updates happen automatically thru the device itself! They have asked me to hold off on contacting Hyundai until another fellow is consulted so I may be at least be getting somewhere. I have been very cordial and ranted how much we love the vehicle and that I have come to realize that LTM is not possible. I have told them that a handshake (one time update) would possibly be acceptable!

·
Banned
358 Posts
You should call Mapnsoft themselves. Every map that they offer is only costs $199.00 (unless it's on a sales price) and you can buy straight from them. The dealer probably wants you to go through them so that they can charge you a shop fee for bringing it in and then labor charges for putting a USB/SD card drive in. They would loose out on a lot of money if everyone did it themselves.

IMO your dealership, like most dealerships, sounds clueless about this. The only people who will know for sure is Mapnsoft.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well I have talked with two more folks at the dealership and have moved up two more rungs on the ladder. It has been reconfirmed again that the map/software update for the 2013 Sante Fe LWB Ltd, when available, will be a dealer only install item and will be $367. Kind of funny how many folks have been told that map updates happen automatically thru the device itself! They have asked me to hold off on contacting Hyundai until another fellow is consulted so I may be at least be getting somewhere. I have been very cordial and ranted how much we love the vehicle and that I have come to realize that LTM is not possible. I have told them that a handshake (one time update) would possibly be acceptable!
So it's gone from $400 to $367. I still think they are just pulling this out of their a**. They probably don't want you contacting Hyundai, because they realize you will find out that they are ripping you off. No, no, no way that an annual map update is sustainable at $367 with dealer install.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well after meeting with many folks and working myself up the ladder, I have been given a "we owe" certificate for one map/nav. update at some time in the future with no expiration date and no $$ value restriction to cover my first update regardless of the actual cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good for you lkniess! Have you had it done yet?

Last week I purchased a new 2014 Santa Fe GLS and if I had to guess the maps in it are from 2012. From the Mapnsoft site it looks like they didn't have a 2013 release. I've emailed them to see when the next release is coming. When I hear back I'll post it up on this tread.

I too would guess that when you receive the SD Card from them it would be as simple as popping it in. I would also guess they'll provide instructions. We'll see.

Thanks all for the information!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Only updat I seen take anywhere near 6hr is the Genesis and EQUUS 4 disc set that runs about 4hr depending on how fast you catch "splash" screen when disc finish to start next disc.

Nothing labor intensive about it, warranty only give us 1hr shop rate to do update for the previous mentioned vehicle.

As to customer doing the job, you need VIN, dealer code, device number, and that all entered into a Map-n-Soft hosted site to get authentication code to allow further progress with install of the update.

Typical cost been the $199,, the only customer supplied I have seen/done was I removed a large camera card from hidden slot, swapped cards, and packed old card for return to Map-n-Soft.

Done quite a few of the 4 disc for Genesis and Equus

·
Registered
8 Posts
In 2011 I purchased a Sante Fe with the in-car Navigation System. The day we drove the car off the lot the maps were out of date. I contacted the dealership and was told it would automatically update. Two years later we asked again and were told we had to pay $200 to have the maps updated. Now, the car is 3-years-old and the navigation system is so bad it is dangerous. We don’t even turn it on. For $200, we purchased a Garmin with free lifetime map updates. So we now drive a Sante Fe, with a built in navigation system, and a Garmin attached to the windshield. Friends are shocked at what we have had to do.

Why is Hyundai doing this to their customers? I tried to speak to Hyundai Customer Connect System “Lead’ Laura who gave me nothing but attitude. How outrageous to charge what you do for the system, then expect us to pay $200 each time it needs to be updated. Are you crazy???

I’m done with Hyundai. Oh yea, did I mention that the Sante Fe was my third, and now last, Hyundai purchase

·
Registered
756 Posts
In 2011 I purchased a Sante Fe with the in-car Navigation System. The day we drove the car off the lot the maps were out of date. I contacted the dealership and was told it would automatically update. Two years later we asked again and were told we had to pay $200 to have the maps updated. Now, the car is 3-years-old and the navigation system is so bad it is dangerous. We don’t even turn it on. For $200, we purchased a Garmin with free lifetime map updates. So we now drive a Sante Fe, with a built in navigation system, and a Garmin attached to the windshield. Friends are shocked at what we have had to do.

Why is Hyundai doing this to their customers? I tried to speak to Hyundai Customer Connect System “Lead’ Laura who gave me nothing but attitude. How outrageous to charge what you do for the system, then expect us to pay $200 each time it needs to be updated. Are you crazy???

I’m done with Hyundai. Oh yea, did I mention that the Sante Fe was my third, and now last, Hyundai purchase
It's not just Hyundai, they are all the same...
I would not give up a good car for $200.

Another solution could be to have an aftermarket in-dash navigation with free updates. That may payoff if updates are needed every year.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts