Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New to hyundai vehicles but well versed in auto mechanics. My wife has a 2000 tiburon 2.0 automatic. Bought the car knowing that a new trans would be needed and the price was right. Sourced a used low milage trans and installed per the shop manual procedure. Adjusted the neutral position switch, topped off all fluids, replaced filters and I/O speed sensors. Anyways, onto my issue. The car will remain in park as it should, reverse is a little tricky to work smoothly, neutral doesn't seem to work at all with the shift cable installed, and all forward gears now function. I have adjusted the cable and the range switch position multiple times. First question would be this. Is there a bushing that is supposed to be in place at the end of the cable where it connects to the range switch arm? There was never one there previously and I have seen no picture or mention of it anywhere in any manual or parts diagram. This leads to whay i think is excessive slop in the cable end. Just curious if anyone else has encountered this.

Fast forward a couple days and the previous problems still persist, but the car now randomly down shifts from say 3rd or OD to 1st or 2nd. She pulls over and cycles the key and all is well for about 5 minutes before it acts up again. Would this possibly be throttle position sensor acting up? It is showing no current,stored or pending codes.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
You seem to know your stuff.
So my only question is how well do you know this low mileage automatic transmission??
Could it have a problem?

Just wondering?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I chased a bug in my I30 for over a year. Initially it would flare up when upshifting so I disconnected the battery and after that it would seem to select two gears on a downshift causing the car to slow down rapidly and I was about to get rid of the car. I then got a great scantool called a Vpecker and it had a "reset transmission to factory default" button so I did and bingo it's a whole new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the history of the replacement, it was pulled from anow 80k vehicle that had rear end damage. Upon installation it got the new filter, gasket, etc as well as a totally drained and refilled tq converter. No other details were given to me as far as history goes sadly.

Any more specs on this scan tool? My father is a Ford senior master tech and he may have access to a tool that will read the individual modules. I am currently using a standard Matco obd scanner to monitor the car.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Have a look on the net for Vpecker. Easy to find. I bought direct from the company. It was $149 USD for the bluetooth. The wireless one is $10 cheaper. I don't know who did the software but boy is it magic with Hyundai. You will also need a cheap laptop or ipad to download the software to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts