Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we purchased our 2013 Santa Fe GLS on black Friday 2013. We absolutely love the vehicle. its actually my wife ride, for her and the 2 kids, we traded in our 2012 Elantra Lease for the GLS and we love it!

Within the first week of driving the car it developed a noise coming from under the car, I thought maybe something got caught under it. being a car savy guy I took a look and didn't see anything and made a service appointment. (sorry for the long post below but I want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if they did how was it fixed, I have done my best to describe our situation.)

The noise sounds like a plastic rattling/flopping noise that occurs under the vehicle primarily around 25-45 mph, but has been heard at other speeds. it does not happen constantly but it does occur just about every time the car is driven. The frequency of the noise does not seem to be directly related to wheel speed or engine RPM or even wind speed going around or under the car. for example if we speed up or slow down the inconsistent frequency does not change, there is no pattern to the noise either. The sound almost sounds like it occurs in the front at times and in the back of the car at times. There is no feedback in the steering wheel or either of the pedals, sometimes I feel like you can feel it on the floor though.

My initial thought was that it was a splash guard of some sort flapping in the wind. But after a total of 3 service appointments for the noise and a total of about 10 days at the dealer it still has not been fixed. On the first visit the dealer could not reproduce the noise per our description, so we picked the car up and leaving the dealership it made the noise, we turned around and went back to the dealer where we proceeded to take the service tech for a ride and he heard the noise and said he thought it was a sway bar end link. so he ordered the link and we rescheduled. dropped it off for the second time for the link, where they discovered the link in the car was fine and that it was not making the noise. so they drove the car some more hearing the sound. They called us the next day saying the if they tightened the ebrake cable mounts it made the noise worse, but they couldn't get the noise to go away. the following day they called and said they found a loose assembly bracket in the rear bumper and they thought that was the noise. now I asked them how the ebrake cable and this loose bracket were related since tightening the ebrake brackets changed the noise, they couldn't explain that, and Hyundai also wanted their assembly line bracket back, the repair order even noted this. so we pick the car up thinking it was fixed and it made the noise the next day and everyday there after until we took it in for a 3rd appointment where they kept the car for 5 days straight. they supposedly removed and re-torqued, tightened and lubricated anything they could under the car, including having the drive shaft out and inspecting the boot around the joints. and on the 5th day they called and said they think the noise is gone, they didn't know what they did to fix it but they drove the car 3 times on that Friday for 40 miles total and it didn't make the noise. so my wife takes the loaner car back swaps out the 2 car seats and the kids and leaves the dealer, and not even 2 miles down the road she hears the noise!!!!!

so needless to say we are at a lose at what to do. The service manager said to drive it for a few more days taking notice any specific condition the noise occurs. so we have done that for a week, and I spoke to the manager about this needs to be fixed and this is the last appointment, I requested that the regional Hyundai technical service rep be present during this 4th appointment and if its not fixed or determined that it is a factory defect that the care must be replaced. they claim its NOT safety related but how the heck can they say that if they don't know what it is!? I called Hyundai yesterday and spoke to their customer relations department and I opened a case # to report my issue and they will begin an investigation.

And while I was writing this post my wife called to say how bad the noise was, so I told her to drive it to the dealer so the service manager who has not hear it yet could hear it. so she did and he heard the noise and said "it sounds like a plastic flapping noise in the front of the car". AH YEAH! that's what we have been telling you!!! and after 10 days with your service department you have been un able to fix it! so we have an appointment on January 29th in which the factory rep will be present to try and resolve this issue.

so that's my story, any input would be appreciated. let me know if you have had any similar experiences, or if you have any questions.

·
22,793 Posts
You need a wind tunnel in your garage. ;) I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I can't help but think I could jack that thing up or crawl under it and find "something" from poking and looking around.

Maybe I'm full of it, but I usually have a knack for finding things. This works in unison with my cursed OCD eye for detail. Yes, it IS a curse. But, I still think I could find it, given some time to look around. Not trying to be arrogant and blowing my own horn, just confident.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
:00000732:

Not sure if you searched the forums, but doing so will often help you find similar issues.

There were early reports of the small "mudflap" in the FRONT of the rear wheel well coming loose and creating the sound you are describing. Folks described a clip coming loose and it was easily repaired.

Do a search in this sub forum or always try the Santa Fe DM 2013 subforum since often issues posted there are applicable to the LWB as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done some searching, I am a Google search addict, my wife makes fun of me for it. I did do some searching of the forum but apparently not good enough, hahaa, thanks Luck11 for the suggestion, I will check it out. and OkieRich, I hear ya on the OCD eye, I plan to put it on a lift this sunday and take a look at it myself. my father has been an auto mechanic all his life so it will be in his shop on sunday so we will see!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so I checked the mud flaps like suggested and they were tight so were the inner fender wells.....so hopefully either this Sunday I will find something or the deal finally resolves this on Wednesday. I really I hope to find something on my own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Isn't there a large plastic "skid" tray underneath the engine/transmission to close out that area? I would check all of the fasteners for that plastic tray and make sure they are tight and that there are no cracks in the tray. There's a lot of air turbulence underneath vehicles and it's very unpredictable so it would fall in line with your description that the noise can not be narrowed down to an exact road speed/engine rpm.

The other option is to just remove the plastic tray and then see how it reacts. Probably only 5-10 fasteners holding it on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had thought I posted a reply to this thread this weekend, but evidently it did not show up. My thought about your rattle is that looking under the Santa Fe there are plastic shields under the engine/transmission and further down the chassis. I would suggest checking all of the fasteners to those shields or even removing them and going on a test drive.

Since you said it sounds like a plastic noise and it can't be narrowed down to a specific road speed/engine rpm, I think the problem is being caused by turbulent air under the vehicle which is very unpredictable and with just the right conditions will cause a resonate effect, but not predictable enough to narrow down to exact conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I had thought I posted a reply to this thread this weekend, but evidently it did not show up. My thought about your rattle is that looking under the Santa Fe there are plastic shields under the engine/transmission and further down the chassis. I would suggest checking all of the fasteners to those shields or even removing them and going on a test drive.

Since you said it sounds like a plastic noise and it can't be narrowed down to a specific road speed/engine rpm, I think the problem is being caused by turbulent air under the vehicle which is very unpredictable and with just the right conditions will cause a resonate effect, but not predictable enough to narrow down to exact conditions.
Thank you for the suggestion, I partially removed some of the splash guards and shields on Sunday to see if there was anything behind them on laying on them making any noise. I also determined that the dealer had some of these shields off as well because they put a black putty at the bolted connections between the shield and the frame. I also sat in the car in the air while my father rattled and moved the shields around to see if it sounded like the noise we are hearing while driving, no luck.

My father and I ran the vehicle while in the air on a lift just to verify it was not a rotating drivetrain noise, and it was not, at least under those conditions. we spent about 3-4 hours pulling, knocking on, shacking and making sure things were tight under the car. most of the items under the vehicle were marked with a paint pen from the dealer. at this point we are at a lose as to what the noise is.

Anything that we come up with can be discounted by other scenarios in which the noise does not occur. For example, something suspension related, yet the noise does not change when steering or cornering. A loose plastic splash guard or shield, yet it makes the same noise at the same frequency no matter the speed of the car. Possibly the carrier bearing on the driveshaft but the noise doesn't change with MPH/RPM. Possibly a pinch weld in the body but a rocking back and forth or going over bumps doesn't change the noise.

So I guess we will have to wait and see what the dealer and regional technical service rep come up with and my case worker.

Thanks to all who have contributed. In the end I do believe it is a factory defect that they dealer will not be able to locate and fix and the vehicle will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to give an update. the dealer has had my GLS for the 3rd day of the 4th visit. the past 2 days we have received an update at the end of the day (have not got todays update yet). both updates have been: we have been hearing the noise, we can not pin point it, and will continue to work on it tomorrow. apparently they removed the driveshaft yesterday and for some reason the noise got louder! The service manager said the service technician is getting frustrated at this point, well I am sure he is! Also Hyundai customer relations office has "escalated" our case and it is being passed on to the regional office where they have more power to rectify the situation. also the regional service rep that was supposed to come and be there for this appointment has not been to the dealership yet. so we will see what todays report brings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok so I checked the mud flaps like suggested and they were tight so were the inner fender wells.....so hopefully either this Sunday I will find something or the deal finally resolves this on Wednesday. I really I hope to find something on my own.
Here is my original post about the rear mud guards. Be sure you look at the pics I posted. It is possible that the guards feel tight but are still broken. Its the inside screw that is the problem, the two outside screws will be tight even on a vehicle that has the rear mud guard rattle. What you want to do is pull on the inside screw that is attached to the yellow clip and see if the clip can be pushed in and out of the hole. It's hard to describe but it makes a lot more sense when you see the pictures.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/260-dm-2013-santa-fe/148283-2013-santa-fe-wind-noise-22.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: IT IS FIXED!

So this past Friday January 31st, after the dealer had the car for 3 days of the 4th appointment they called late in the day and said they are very confident they fixed the problem. They said they found a loose seat bracket bolt that bolts the middle row bench to the floor. it was the far passenger side rear bolt that was loose and vibrating. We have drove the car for the past 3-4 days now and have not heard the noise one bit. so I am relieved and excited to say that I would agree that they finally fixed the noise, and I called the case worker and closed the case with Hyundai.

thanks to all who responded and read the post. I hope my experience will help someone else out in the future. Good luck pete1burn, I hope you figure your problem out and my post helps. I know its terribly frustrating.....just hang tight and be persistent.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Congrats. It's a great feeling when something like that is rectified. I recall having a very intermittent rattle in my 2009 Highlander. Turns out it was a 10 mm socket that must have been dropped at the factory and ended up under my 3rd row seat. Found that one myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had the dreaded rattle start in what would be the equivalent of a Santa Fe Sport. Came and went at around 100kmh.

Nothing obvious in or under the car so a Google search was in order which led me to this thread.

Sure enough inner clips on air deflector (mud flap) in front of both rear wheels broken.

Some silastic to temporarily hold clips and rattle gone.

New clips to go in next week when car goes in for a service.

Thanks to Auwarrior for sharing.

May be worth Mods Adding Auwarriors fix to the repair "Sticky" as looks like it may be a common issue.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
So glad i found this thread. I have had the same problem for a few 6+months now the dealer never found anything. I was never able to get them to hear the issue either. Im going to check both mud flaps and then the seat.

I have another thump from the rear but going to search a bit for that before creating a thread. Dealer said its related to the trailer hitch and spare tire rub.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattling noise under our Entourage

Our Entourage has a under carriage rattle that we cannot find. Did you find out the problem with the Santa Fe?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our Entourage has a under carriage rattle that we cannot find. Did you find out the problem with the Santa Fe?
Update: IT IS FIXED!

So this past Friday January 31st, after the dealer had the car for 3 days of the 4th appointment they called late in the day and said they are very confident they fixed the problem. They said they found a loose seat bracket bolt that bolts the middle row bench to the floor. it was the far passenger side rear bolt that was loose and vibrating. We have drove the car for the past 3-4 days now and have not heard the noise one bit. so I am relieved and excited to say that I would agree that they finally fixed the noise, and I called the case worker and closed the case with Hyundai.

thanks to all who responded and read the post. I hope my experience will help someone else out in the future. Good luck pete1burn, I hope you figure your problem out and my post helps. I know its terribly frustrating.....just hang tight and be persistent.

They Did

·
Registered
1 Posts
rattle noise in hyundai santa fe

So we purchased our 2013 Santa Fe GLS on black Friday 2013. We absolutely love the vehicle. its actually my wife ride, for her and the 2 kids, we traded in our 2012 Elantra Lease for the GLS and we love it!

Within the first week of driving the car it developed a noise coming from under the car, I thought maybe something got caught under it. being a car savy guy I took a look and didn't see anything and made a service appointment. (sorry for the long post below but I want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if they did how was it fixed, I have done my best to describe our situation.)

The noise sounds like a plastic rattling/flopping noise that occurs under the vehicle primarily around 25-45 mph, but has been heard at other speeds. it does not happen constantly but it does occur just about every time the car is driven. The frequency of the noise does not seem to be directly related to wheel speed or engine RPM or even wind speed going around or under the car. for example if we speed up or slow down the inconsistent frequency does not change, there is no pattern to the noise either. The sound almost sounds like it occurs in the front at times and in the back of the car at times. There is no feedback in the steering wheel or either of the pedals, sometimes I feel like you can feel it on the floor though.

My initial thought was that it was a splash guard of some sort flapping in the wind. But after a total of 3 service appointments for the noise and a total of about 10 days at the dealer it still has not been fixed. On the first visit the dealer could not reproduce the noise per our description, so we picked the car up and leaving the dealership it made the noise, we turned around and went back to the dealer where we proceeded to take the service tech for a ride and he heard the noise and said he thought it was a sway bar end link. so he ordered the link and we rescheduled. dropped it off for the second time for the link, where they discovered the link in the car was fine and that it was not making the noise. so they drove the car some more hearing the sound. They called us the next day saying the if they tightened the ebrake cable mounts it made the noise worse, but they couldn't get the noise to go away. the following day they called and said they found a loose assembly bracket in the rear bumper and they thought that was the noise. now I asked them how the ebrake cable and this loose bracket were related since tightening the ebrake brackets changed the noise, they couldn't explain that, and Hyundai also wanted their assembly line bracket back, the repair order even noted this. so we pick the car up thinking it was fixed and it made the noise the next day and everyday there after until we took it in for a 3rd appointment where they kept the car for 5 days straight. they supposedly removed and re-torqued, tightened and lubricated anything they could under the car, including having the drive shaft out and inspecting the boot around the joints. and on the 5th day they called and said they think the noise is gone, they didn't know what they did to fix it but they drove the car 3 times on that Friday for 40 miles total and it didn't make the noise. so my wife takes the loaner car back swaps out the 2 car seats and the kids and leaves the dealer, and not even 2 miles down the road she hears the noise!!!!!

so needless to say we are at a lose at what to do. The service manager said to drive it for a few more days taking notice any specific condition the noise occurs. so we have done that for a week, and I spoke to the manager about this needs to be fixed and this is the last appointment, I requested that the regional Hyundai technical service rep be present during this 4th appointment and if its not fixed or determined that it is a factory defect that the care must be replaced. they claim its NOT safety related but how the heck can they say that if they don't know what it is!? I called Hyundai yesterday and spoke to their customer relations department and I opened a case # to report my issue and they will begin an investigation.

And while I was writing this post my wife called to say how bad the noise was, so I told her to drive it to the dealer so the service manager who has not hear it yet could hear it. so she did and he heard the noise and said "it sounds like a plastic flapping noise in the front of the car". AH YEAH! that's what we have been telling you!!! and after 10 days with your service department you have been un able to fix it! so we have an appointment on January 29th in which the factory rep will be present to try and resolve this issue.

so that's my story, any input would be appreciated. let me know if you have had any similar experiences, or if you have any questions.
One question... Do you have a luggage rack with the cross bars on it ? I have a 2015 model and had the same problem, but the dealer was determined to find it and kept the car for 3 days. I turned out to be the fitting on the end of one of the cross bars on the luggage rack. Anyway, one more thing to check,,, it may be the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rattling noise under 2015 Santa Fe Sport

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but so glad I'm not the only one experiencing the rattling noise under my new Santa Fe. Sad to say this also was the EXACT same noise that my 2013 made as well. The dealership took that one in 5 or 6 different times and sometimes as long as a month, and still could NOT figure out what the noise was. They even had a visit from a Hyundai engineer, and he couldn't pinpoint it either. It kind of stinks have a brand NEW 15 model which I love, to make a very annoying noise around 40mph, and goes away when you hit around 55 or 60. I see some of you had mud flap screws tightened and that seemed to do the trick, mine are tight as a drum, in fact on my 1st oil change, they replaced the plastic screws holding the encasement above the rear tires with metal ones, to no avail. I'm at a loss and ANY help from fellow Santa Fe'ers would be greatly APPRECIATED!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts