Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2015 Sonata SE with 30,000 miles about two months back. I now have it up to almost 36,000 miles and have noticed a slight rattle in the passenger side door. It happens when I listen to music with a lot of bass, and also when I hit cracks or potholes in the road. Any suggestions on how to fix this without having to go to the dealer and wait a lifetime to have them fix it? I bought it certified pre owned and have all of the warranties still, but don’t feel like waiting hours for them to look at it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had two 2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo Ultimate Edition models with the premium Infinity sound system and both cars had the exact same right passenger side door rattle that would be present even with minimal bass settings. This ruined the premium sound system as it would constantly rattle with minimal bass.

The first car was repaired by tightening some screws in the door, the second car required the door panel to be removed and insulation was placed near the window switches, this temporarily stopped the rattling but within a week the rattle was back. They then changed the door panel and it again temporarily fixed the problem but it would rattle again within a few months. I am now going to bring it back a third time to see if they can fix the problem. I think it is a window switch panel that rattles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was also reading a few other forums and they said it was the window switch assembly that was rattling. Such a small thing is such a large annoyance! Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. On a side note, if you still want to enjoy your infinity audio system, if you turn the music level up over 30 you can’t hear the rattling! ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 16 Sport Tech with the Dimension system. I think I might know the answer as I had the same issue. With certain songs depending on frequency I would hear a rattle (sounded like a blown speaker) and I swore it came from the right passenger side. I searched and couldn't find it until......I pressed the sunglass compartment, once dropped it completely went away. Have tested it multiple times and it is definitely the source. Some small pieces of sticky felt tape on either side of flat surface or such should make it go away...haven't done it yet.

This week I installed a Clarion mono amp with a 12" sealed Focal sub to accent the fairly great system this car already had and still have the issue on certain frequencies. This is hitting very low and the issue hasn't been as noticeable as was with just the IB 8".

As silly as it sounds it absolutely was the issue in my car. It's worth the try. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I used to keep sun glasses in the compartment and the noise was driving me crazy! Removed glasses and back to normal.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had exactly the same issue with my 2018 Limited with Ultimate pkg. I drove me nuts. I decided to take the door panel off (it literally takes 2 - 3 minutes to do it) and turned out it was the lock/unlock plug. It was moving around so I put some paper and used some tape to stiffen it up. Problem gone. I originally wanted to take it to dealership but they would either say that they don't hear it or if they hear it, they take door panel off and break something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your input! Come to find out, it was my sunglasses in the sunglass holder! If you don’t set them just right then they will rattle up against the plastic in the holder. Luckily it was just that and not the window switch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only have this issue sometimes but it comes from bumps, dips in the road. I think the suspension is to stiff for a family sedan?
In my personal opinion I believe the suspension is on the stiffer side for a family sedan. It’s soft enough to absorb little cracks and crevices in the road but is stiff enough to give you good feedback and road feel. It’s a way to give the car a more “sporty” feel to it. I went from a Chevy impala, Buick lesabre, to a Buick LaCrosse, and now have my sonata, so I am a bit biased as I’ve only driven land yachts with soft, squishy suspensions, so the sonata is a great change for me with the stiffer suspension.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input! Come to find out, it was my sunglasses in the sunglass holder! If you don’t set them just right then they will rattle up against the plastic in the holder. Luckily it was just that and not the window switch.
Yep! Like I said, that was problem too. Glad you found the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was definitely the window switch for me. Take the door panel off and you'll see four tabs holding the black window switch assembly into the door panel. Disengage those 4 tabs and the window switch assembly will slightly lower out of position. I shoved some small sponge pieces in the gap that forms between the window switch assembly and the door panel when you disengage the tabs. Then just snap the window switch assembly back into place (you'll notice it is a much tighter fit) and you are done.... rattle gone.

Thanks everyone in the thread for the trial and error - window switch fix FTW for me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts