Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this problem? I've got about 4300 miles on my '10 Santy SE and the glove box rattles like crazy. And no, it's not something in the glove box that's rattling.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Upthewazzu @ Oct 5 2010, 08:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361238
Anyone else have this problem? I've got about 4300 miles on my '10 Santy SE and the glove box rattles like crazy. And no, it's not something in the glove box that's rattling.
If you can get someone to secure the front with a hand while you're driving, and that doesn't fix it, and opening it does fix it, I'd guess there's a bit of wiring or whatever behind it that is making contact with the box itself. Worth a look.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the glove-box come out completely? The one in my old Mitsu Lancer did, as it was the only way to get to the cabin air filter. If I could take the whole thing out, that would help me narrow it down. I don't think it's the glove box itself, the only thing that could possibly be rattling is the little flipper gate that holds the thing up until the level is pulled. There are literally no hard-to-the-touch surfaces that could be contacting each other.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata PHEV
28 Posts
My glove box used to rattle a lot - enough where I would sometimes just open while driving to stop the noise. The rattle was coming from the two little spring clips that keep the box door closed: the ones that retract to open the box and spring back out to hold the box closed. There are two little bumper posts on the top that are supposed to keep the box from closing too far or are to keep tension on the box door when closed. Anyways, I put some padded tape on the inside lid of the box door where the posts hit the door when the box is closed.

There is more tension on the box door when it is closed and it doesn't rattle any more. The tape only shows when the box is open and to be honest, I forgot about it until I read this post.

That may have been my number one complaint on my Santa Fe in the first year of ownership.

Tom

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Right around 1,800 miles, mine started rattling as well. Looking to achieve what tjbute did.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 4 2010, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369038
Right around 1,800 miles, mine started rattling as well. Looking to achieve what tjbute did.
Mine's at the dealership due to the tranny problem and a really rough ride, so I told them the take a look at this issue as well.

Of course, the entire drive down to the dealer, it never rattled once. :460:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If I open the glove box and really wing it shut, the rattling stops for a while. It took me quite some time to figure out where the noise was coming from because at first, it sounded like something in the console or under the seat.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welp, 3 weeks later and the new glovebox is rattling worse than the old one. Looks like another trip to the dealer. This whole rig is turning into a rattle bucket, as I've developed another one somewhere in the center console. I swear, mid-90's GM cars were better built than this thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys,

I thot I'm the only one who is facing this issue, until i came across this post, and found that i'm not the only one. my kms is 24,567, but under one year. Hope it gets fixed.

Thanks, for the inputs from other members.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I've found that by keeping a hand towel on top of my Sig P226, it doesn't rattle around in there so much.

OK - just kidding.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I knew what it was. :gunsmilie:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (tjbute @ Oct 5 2010, 07:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361429
My glove box used to rattle a lot - enough where I would sometimes just open while driving to stop the noise. The rattle was coming from the two little spring clips that keep the box door closed: the ones that retract to open the box and spring back out to hold the box closed. There are two little bumper posts on the top that are supposed to keep the box from closing too far or are to keep tension on the box door when closed. Anyways, I put some padded tape on the inside lid of the box door where the posts hit the door when the box is closed.

There is more tension on the box door when it is closed and it doesn't rattle any more. The tape only shows when the box is open and to be honest, I forgot about it until I read this post.

That may have been my number one complaint on my Santa Fe in the first year of ownership.

Tom

Any chance I could get you to take a picture of what you did and post it? I've now been to the dealer twice to remedy this problem and it is STILL rattling! I think what I'm experiencing is pretty similar to what you've described. It's more of a "tick" sound than an actual rattle, but [email protected] if it's not insancely annoying.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata PHEV
28 Posts
Here's a photo of what I did. I also included the TSB that Hyundai issued for the Sonata glovebox rattle. It's clearly the same problem as on the Santa Fe and Hyundai's fix accomplishes the same thing as my fix did.

[attachment=22446:GloveBox...edited_1.jpg]

[attachment=22445:GloveBoxTSB.pdf]

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (tjbute @ Jan 18 2011, 05:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=392064
Here's a photo of what I did. I also included the TSB that Hyundai issued for the Sonata glovebox rattle. It's clearly the same problem as on the Santa Fe and Hyundai's fix accomplishes the same thing as my fix did.

[attachment=22445:GloveBoxTSB.pdf]

Tom
Awesome! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I suffered from a rattle in my front passenger door and got the dealer to take care of it. Then after that was fixed, I heard the additional rattle coming from the glove box. I decided to take care of this myself this weekend and added some strips of sticky backed felt into the glove box area to try to get rid of it. I didn't put any felt on the box itself, but rather on the surrounding areas where it touches. I did this in hopes of hiding it in an area where I will never see. This appears to have done the job for now. But if it gets worse I know to try adding something to the area with the tabs that was described here.

Also, does anyone else have noisy back seats? Mine make a lot of noise on bumpy roads, I live in Minnesota where the asphalt roads get bad over the winter, and I'm planning on bugging the dealer about that as well. I don't think that a nearly $30,000 car should rattle when it's brand new.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts