Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 GLS w/ 1,000 miles on it ... it's starting to develop a pretty bad rattle in the back of the vehicle. Only is noticeable over bumps and slower speeds, anyone else have this sort of problem?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi,

No rattles in mine, but could yours be coming from the rear center belt strap in the roof. Maybe check to make sure the belt is still firmly in the holder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On mine it is the third seatbelt tongue rattling against the plastic retractor housing in the roof liner. It is intermittent but can be pretty annoying if you get on a road with the right size and frequency of bumps.

I've thought to myself that I ought to come up with some sort of foam sleeve to wrap around the seatbelt tongue but I have not gotten around to it yet.

I understand your concerns, however, since the Tucson is very quiet in most other regards. Makes a small rattle sound more serious than it really is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2010 Tucson GLS with Pop Equip Pkg has 945 miles. Noticed the last several days a rattle coming from the rear cargo area. My wife drove around today while I was in the back seat to attempt to find the location of the rattle so I can communicate to the dealer.

I though initially it was coming from the ceiling mounted seat belt assembly for the middle rear seat. I buckled the belt into the seat latch, but the rattle continued. While riding around in the rear seat, the rattle noise seem to be coming from either 1) under the cargo area or 2) the cargo door itself. The cargo door appears to be a bit loose against the frame of the Tucson?....but not sure.

I'll take the Tucson in this week and let the dealer check it out for a bit to see if they can hear the rattle, id the location and eliminate the noise.

Anyone else noticed a noisy cargo area?/

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a rattling noise towards the back, also, but assumed it was coming from the spare tire assembly and haven't investigated further. If that was all it was, I was content to leave it alone.

For those motivated enough to take it to the dealer, I am interested in hearing what it turns out to be, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got just under 1000 miles on my 2010 Tucson and am getting a rattle from the back too. I'm going to have a look and see if it's the spare tire and tools, but it sounds like it's coming from the roof.

Has anyone been able to determine the source of the rattle? Has anyone had a dealer look at it?

Thanks for any info you have.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The first thing I would look at is the center shoulder belt stored in the roof. It's probably coming from that. Check that it's stored properly, then shove a piece of foam or something into it temporarily to see if it goes away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for not replying to my original message ...

I ended up taking my Tucson into the dealer. They tightened the lock on the rear lift gate and added some extra padding on the two bottom corners. All has been well so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think I solved mine by adjusting the bump stops on the rear hatch and shimming the trim pieces next to the spare tire (under the hard cover). If anyone's interested in this, I can post pics. It's kind of hard to describe the exact location.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My rattle is still there. I think it's coming from the headliner/ceiling. It's driving me crazy. Anyone have any luck silencing theirs?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,
I am not a Tuscon owner yet but had a very similar issue with my 2007 Santa Fe. I had a rattle from the rear area that drove me NUTS for months, I adjusted stops, added foam in certain places and sprayed lube on anything that had a crack........and nothing !!! My wife thought I was ready for the nut house because I would spend an hour searching for the rattle after every car ride.
Finally ! I was banging my fist around on the hatch while open partially and heard the rattle coming from inside the hatch door area. Four screws and a few snap locks removes the plastic interior door molding and there it was ! Hyundai uses a metal rod between the latch handle and the latch lock mechanism, it bends and twists it's way through all the other plastic pins and guides in there. I found the metal rod had way too much free play and was rattling against some of plastic guides. I added a few pieces of foam ( from a bicycle helmet ) to put slight pressure on the rod and keep it from dangling around, also sprayed some lube on every moving part in there. I have to say that it has been rattle free for 2 years now.........Wheeew !!!
I'm not sure of the design of the Tuscon's hatch assembly but maybe this will lead some in the right direction ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took my car in for oil change today and complaint about the squeaky noise at the back. The mechanic pinpoint the problem to the back seat lock which he adjusted and lubricated. Now the noise is gone and I am totally happy!

:banana:

·
Registered
19 Posts
As mentioned in my earlier post, our rear cargo area "rattles" started around 06/26/2010 (1,250 miles.) After three (3) visits to my local dealer, they finally heard the rattling and corrected it by...."adjusting the rear hatch striker and latch...brought in hatch lid closer to body for tighter fit." The rattle has disappeared after driving it for several days. New vehicle rattles drive me nuts.....glad the dealer finally could locate it and correct it. Hopefully this solves the concern.

Will

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's exactly where I pinpointed my noise also - passenger side only.

QUOTE (convergineer @ Jul 21 2010, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343579
I took my car in for oil change today and complaint about the squeaky noise at the back. The mechanic pinpoint the problem to the back seat lock which he adjusted and lubricated. Now the noise is gone and I am totally happy!

:banana:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great Post and answers. We have the same problem with noise coming from the tailgate area. I've spent enough time sitting in the backseat trying to pinpoint the exact area. The rattle began around 1000 miles on the odometer and usually noticable at lower speeds and going over bumps. I will take this forum to the dealer and see if he can solve the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Trey Caliva @ Jul 11 2010, 06:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340821
Sorry for not replying to my original message ...

I ended up taking my Tucson into the dealer. They tightened the lock on the rear lift gate and added some extra padding on the two bottom corners. All has been well so far!
Is it possible to post the picture where they put the extra padding ? is it near the lock ?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts