Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My wife just got a new Tucson Sport a couple of days ago. We love the car, but I've been noticing an occasional rattle coming from the back. I've only been in the car a handful of times so far but it almost sounds like it might be the tailgate. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
General rattling issues

- Remove everything from the boot
- Adjust (tighten) tail gate. There are two rubber knobs (at least on the electric tailgate) in each lower corner on the tailgate, turn them both a couple of turns counter clockwise
- Belt holder (where the belt comes out of the door shoulder). The movable plastic there can possible be a rattling source
- Belt for the middle passenger seat in the back (the one mounted in the roof), check the position on that one.

- The boot cover (to hide the contents of the boot, the thing you drag) is a known source of rattling.
Try fasten all the seatbelts as well to narrow down to find the rattling source

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bump. I'm experiencing a rattling noise from what appears to be the rear passenger side seating area.
Dealer will assist but I want to try to determine the root cause before taking it in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i believe im experiencing the same thing. to me the sound is like a thumping or knocking when i drive over small bumps in road, even at slow speeds.. sound is coming from rear passenger side. ive tried closing door better, making sure seats are locked in, checked if seat belt is loose and nothing. the noise is not noticeable if i turn on radio, but it is driving me bonkers when i hear it. I was thinking of adding sound dampening material to the wheel well cuz it sorta sounds like the shock bottoming out as if i drove over a pot hole and the wheel sunk all way down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It could quite possible be coming from the seat belt that hangs loosely from the ceiling. Mine rattles when I hit a bump, or take a turn too sharp, etc...I hate seat belts that hang from car ceilings but whacha goin to do? ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I actually reached back while driving and grabbed the middle seat belt that attaches to the ceiling and the rattle didn't stop... If anyone figures this out, please let us know!

·
Registered
11 Posts
yea i listened to it more closely today and it sounds like the seat is loose. or like a door that isnt closed properly and it makes a knocking sound. its very annoying! i did stop, bang on the seats, checked seat belts and still made the noise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks to all for the tips.
I've buckled all of the seat belts and the periodic tapping noise is still there.
I thought I identified the problem as the seat bottom was not fully secured to the clips but the noise persist.

The noise seems to go away when the seat is turned down. See if that works for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought I was the only one. To me it almost sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side wheel well. Like a thumping sound.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay, I think I've eliminated the rattle (two days rattle free now; crossing fingers). Since the passenger side rear seat seemed to be the common element, I adjusted the recline position vertically upright one notch (so it's pretty much vertical) and pressed the headrest all the way down (so it's not clicked into position). So far, no more rattle....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, I think I've eliminated the rattle (two days rattle free now; crossing fingers). Since the passenger side rear seat seemed to be the common element, I adjusted the recline position vertically upright one notch (so it's pretty much vertical) and pressed the headrest all the way down (so it's not clicked into position). So far, no more rattle....
im going to try this after work. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi WA Limited, your tip seems to work. Thanks for sharing.

The noise seems to come from either the seat belt buckle or the seat locking mechanism.

If anyone figures it out please let us know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The rattling noise from the rear passenger seat was driving me crazy! I finally took my car in for service and their techs found the seat assembly needed an adjustment (~1/4 - 1/2 turn on each fastening bolts). I test drove my car with the service manager and heard no rattles (Yeah!). The next morning, same noise as before (Boooo!).

I found a temporary remedy by placing a thick piece of dense foam between the two seats where the 60/40 split is. My hypothesis is that is the larger folding backing vibrates causing the rattling noise. The dense foam may have reduced the passenger seat back oscillation causing the noise.

I'm not eager to take my car back anytime soon, so this band-aid will have to do for the time being.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I now own the Tucson. I have the same rattle. I have traced it down to the middle of the back seat. if you fold the larger seat down it pushes against the back seat and then stops the rattle. I have taken it back to the dealer and they told me it was the fold up a floor under the hatch. They have ordered me a new floor which I've told them it isn't that but they want to try this first. I also have a noise coming from the tailgate I can hear a clonk noise when going over a bump and also have a noise coming from under the dash when breaking. This is a lovely car but the rattling is letting it down. Hopefully it will get sorted when it goes back in.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Have you all checked under the rear cargo floor to see if something under there is rattling?

I had some noise also and found an item that I had stored under there was sliding around. Secured it and the sound stopped. Just a thought....

1 - 20 of 99 Posts