Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Elantra with 25k miles and after the car sits for about 2 hours, there is a loud clattering noise coming from the exhaust when running. Mainly when I first start it up and take off down the road. After about 2 mins of driving, it's a lot quieter.

Anyways, I raised it up a bit today and everything looks normal, but using a mallet, I knocked all over the exhaust a bit and it all seems to make a rattle noise. Anyone else having issues? Mine started about 1 month ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2012 Elantra with 25k miles and after the car sits for about 2 hours, there is a loud clattering noise coming from the exhaust when running. Mainly when I first start it up and take off down the road. After about 2 mins of driving, it's a lot quieter.

Anyways, I raised it up a bit today and everything looks normal, but using a mallet, I knocked all over the exhaust a bit and it all seems to make a rattle noise. Anyone else having issues? Mine started about 1 month ago.
I had a similar issue and it ended up that I was missing a clamp / bracket that wasn't installed at the factory when my car was assembled. Worth looking into...

·
22,788 Posts
That clamp issue was issued a TSB by Hyundai. Ask you dealer about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. Thanks for your replies. They are booked up this week, so maybe I'll have it fixed in a couple of weeks :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Should be under warranty. Got it done during my last oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been busy with work, but finally got back into Hyundai and about 15 mins later I was walking out rattle free. That's all it was. Just a clamp.

Thanks all.

·
22,788 Posts
Nice! Glad it's done. Lots of answers can be found on here. ;) And your other question was? LOL

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Clamp kit TSB for shield rattle on center pipe has rolled into a couple month old RECALL after the last year and half or better of adding band clamp kit to center pipe to stop tin from resonating with exhaust pulse in the pipe.

Had a few where baffle in center muffler come loose and vibrate /rattle inside the canister

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Above the headliner is a steel strip (stamped sheet steel about 3/4" wide) that run from front to rear of liner just above door openig along the curve and glued down with something similar to "hot glue"..

Some Korean fella (in Korea) wrecked his Elantra and resulting damage was enough to allow strip above headliner to cut his ear (story I heard at training)..

Soooooooo, for last few month we been pulling headliner down and placing what amount to large piece of super stick duct tape (adhesive strip) on top of liner and over the steel trip in 2 places at each side..

·
Registered
21 Posts

I also have a 2012 Elantra and have complained the last few times when I got the oil changed. Sounded like the catalytic converter cover had broken loose at around 18,000 miles but of course when I took it in they claimed they could never heard the rattling.

Finally in my last oil change at 25,000 miles the service manager said there was a bulletin out now regarding weld cracks at the center muffler heat shield. They installed clamps per TSB 13 EM 001 and it was covered by warranty. :rolleyes: I guess enough owners were complaining they finally figured out we weren't all hearing things in our head. :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The carfax alerted me to the recall on the 11 Elantra we recently acquired. The dealer added more reinforcement to a metal strip in the over head area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts