Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I have a 2011 Sonata Limited and I am hearing a creaking/rattling noise from the driver side pillar. The noise comes when I start the car from stop and when I am driving slow over the uneven surfaces.

When I open the hood/bonnet and close it, the noise goes away for sometime, simillarly when I wash the car, the noise goes away for sometime but again comes back. I took it to the dealer and they could not fix it. First they thought it might be the driver side strip that runs down the windshield but then they told me that this is not the issue. It looks like they could not understand where the noise was coming from.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

arp

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't have that, but just wanted to mention you need to be careful with the (curtain) airbag in there. Always try to isolate the noise first, by pressing on the part and making sure you can quiet the rattle/creak/etc consistently. Noise is tricky to pinpoint in a car, meaning you think it's coming from one place, and it's from another. If it's the A pillar, you can try to carefully stick some foam in there to quiet the rattle, but I'd guess the noise is actually coming from the left of the dash.

The only noise I had was from the glove box, but I could fix it easily. Car is pretty quiet so far, but haven't used it in any of the super coarse roads around here. I'll report later on that. Take care.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (Arpit @ May 24 2010, 03:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325894
Hello:

I have a 2011 Sonata Limited and I am hearing a creaking/rattling noise from the driver side pillar. The noise comes when I start the car from stop and when I am driving slow over the uneven surfaces.

When I open the hood/bonnet and close it, the noise goes away for sometime, simillarly when I wash the car, the noise goes away for sometime but again comes back. I took it to the dealer and they could not fix it. First they thought it might be the driver side strip that runs down the windshield but then they told me that this is not the issue. It looks like they could not understand where the noise was coming from.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

arp
I though I had a noise from the Drivers Side door by the pillar, but it turned out to be from the headliner by the sunroof.
Try pressing up on the headliner to the left of the sunroof to eliminate that.
Mine is only a VERY SLIGHT noise on VERY ROUGH surfaces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 24 2010, 06:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325965
I don't have that, but just wanted to mention you need to be careful with the (curtain) airbag in there. Always try to isolate the noise first, by pressing on the part and making sure you can quiet the rattle/creak/etc consistently. Noise is tricky to pinpoint in a car, meaning you think it's coming from one place, and it's from another. If it's the A pillar, you can try to carefully stick some foam in there to quiet the rattle, but I'd guess the noise is actually coming from the left of the dash.

The only noise I had was from the glove box, but I could fix it easily. Car is pretty quiet so far, but haven't used it in any of the super coarse roads around here. I'll report later on that. Take care.

Thanks for the response, I think you are correct in gussing that the noise could be from the left dash. Could you gove me some suggesstions about eliminating dash noises?

Thanks, A

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ May 24 2010, 06:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325971
I though I had a noise from the Drivers Side door by the pillar, but it turned out to be from the headliner by the sunroof.

I will try that today and will tell you if that works.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have already removed the manual from the glovebox because I seemed to be getting a noise from there and that noise went away.

I now have a new noise that seems to be coming from the passenger side of the cabin. Kinda seems like it could be dash, other times seems like the ceiling? Only get it on bumps of course. I would swear it occurs when the passenger front tire hits the bump first or more predominantly on that side of the car.

How do you guys go about isolating cabin noises? Is a passenger riding along the best way to isolate or I suppose better yet, have them drive and I sit in the passenger seat and try to find it?

Any other recommendations?

thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just posted yesterday about a plastic sounding rattle that started up in my Limited. I thought it was coming from the passenger side of the dash somewhere. However as people have said, your ears can really deceive you as to the exact direction the noise is coming from.

Well I was looking at it more yesterday and opened the glove box and drove it. No effect, noise was still there. Then I opened the cubby hole in the center console. I have my phone charger cable in there. I took it out and viola, the noise disappeared. I would have sworn before that it was nothing that I had done or added to the car. I was wrong.

So people if you have any noise, I would definitely empty out the cubby hole and anything else you can think of first, before moving on to plastic parts, window trim, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried pressing the sunroof, that had no effect. However, I pulled the knob to open the front hood and drove slowly on the uneven surface, there was no noise at all. I feel that its the hood that is not properly aligned. I did not drive it with completely open hood, I just pulled its lever and that makes the hood pop up a little bit. This almost completely eliminated the noise which is making me believe that the noise is from the misaligned hood.

Anybody any comments on this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (Arpit @ May 31 2010, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328104
I tried pressing the sunroof, that had no effect. However, I pulled the knob to open the front hood and drove slowly on the uneven surface, there was no noise at all. I feel that its the hood that is not properly aligned. I did not drive it with completely open hood, I just pulled its lever and that makes the hood pop up a little bit. This almost completely eliminated the noise which is making me believe that the noise is from the misaligned hood.

Anybody any comments on this?
There are black screwed on rubber stoppers that you turn counter-clockwise to increase their heights. Normally there are one set of 2. I was surprised to see 4 (Not 100% sure now, it has been a while). They are about 1 inch in diameter, equal numbers for left and right side of the engine compartment. Try back out a turn to increase the height. I did that, noise went away.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Arpit @ May 31 2010, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328104
This almost completely eliminated the noise which is making me believe that the noise is from the misaligned hood.
The hood, whether properly aligned or not, is not going to make any noises since the latch is spring-loaded, and there're rubber stops on each corner. And even if it made noise, you wouldn't hear it inside. However, the latch and/or cable can definitely make noise. If it does, you can probably try to put some tension on the cable so it's not loose (maybe there's an adjustment, like on bicycle brakes), or if the plastic lever is making noise, maybe attach some adhesive felt. Once you find the source of a noise it's typically easy to quiet it. And talking about noises, my car just started making one, apparently from inside the door... with less than 300 miles on the clock. Oh well. Haven't been able to pinpoint the source; hope I don't have to remove the door panel. Good day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (hancydan @ May 31 2010, 11:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328111
There are black screwed on rubber stoppers that you turn counter-clockwise to increase their heights. Normally there are one set of 2. I was surprised to see 4 (Not 100% sure now, it has been a while). They are about 1 inch in diameter, equal numbers for left and right side of the engine compartment. Try back out a turn to increase the height. I did that, noise went away.
I tried it the other day and it was difficule to close the hood. I will try again with different settings and will let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 31 2010, 04:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328194
The hood, whether properly aligned or not, is not going to make any noises since the latch is spring-loaded, and there're rubber stops on each corner. And even if it made noise, you wouldn't hear it inside. However, the latch and/or cable can definitely make noise. If it does, you can probably try to put some tension on the cable so it's not loose (maybe there's an adjustment, like on bicycle brakes), or if the plastic lever is making noise, maybe attach some adhesive felt. Once you find the source of a noise it's typically easy to quiet it. And talking about noises, my car just started making one, apparently from inside the door... with less than 300 miles on the clock. Oh well. Haven't been able to pinpoint the source; hope I don't have to remove the door panel. Good day.
Thanks for the response. I could not really understand what is the latch and the cable. Is the latch the same as the knob inside the cabin that you pull to open the hood? And the cable is the cable running from the latch till the hood opener? If this is correct then I really dont know how to adjust this latch and cable. But this is a good thought though, I will definitely put sometime experimenting on this. I have an appointment for my first service this saturday, I will share this concern with the Hyundai dealer that time.

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agree. It is hard to tell what the noise is comning from. I had the noise that I thought came frome passenger side pillar. I looked and really don't see what could be making the noise.

I aleady stored the Users manual at the house, open the glove box, moved things around, noise persisted. I opened the console, move some things around, and the noise disappeares. I could swear it was from the passenger side pillar or door pockets, but it was from console storage. It is hard to tell, maybe just me. It is a problem with a quieter Sonata!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Arpit @ Jun 2 2010, 09:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328797
I will definitely put sometime experimenting on this.
You could try 1 thing at a time. Drive on a clear road, and when you hear the rattle, press on the left dash,
the hood opening lever, the trim above the door, the door skin, etc etc.

Hey, be careful driving with just the hood safety latch. If it should fail, it would make quite a mess!

Also be careful with the rubber hood bumpers. If you get them too tight, they could possible warp the
hood or loosen the hinges. Not likely, but possible in extreme cases.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts