Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any other 2011 Sonata drivers are hearing something similar to the noise I am hearing? Anytime I accelerate, brake, or go over a bump or dip, I hear a rattling or creaking noise coming from what seems like the right from passenger side of the car. My car is less than a month old and this concerns me. A new car shouldn't be making old car noises.

I took it to the dealership last week and they opened the hood and tightened the suspension. The noise seemed to have stopped, however, I drove back to work and got back in the car a few hours later and the noise was back again. It's very annoying, epsecially since the car is brand new.

Any insight you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a rattling noise that seems to come from the sunroof and a cracking noise that sounds like my windshield is cracking....the sunroof noise is only when i'm driving, when i'm stopped it doesn't do it. the windshield noise is periodic.....both are annoying because as you said its a brand new car. but at the same time its a hyundai, and i figure if it continues or gets worse within the next few months.....to the shop it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it an internal or an external (suspension, engine compartment) noise?

I had a rather bothersome rattle in mine, which turned out to be coming from the glove box.

It seems any amount of weight (the thick bi-lingual Canadian Owner's manual, in my case) causes the compartment to pull away from its rubber stoppers. This would create a rather annoying rattle anytime I was driving on rough roads. I ended up just removing the manual, and tossing it in the trunk, and now the rattle seems to have stopped.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same creaking sound in my Sonata. I already brought it in once and they said they some straps on the gas tank. It went away for about a day then it came back. I will call the dealer again Monday and have them take another look at it. Also, my AC went out 1 day after getting it back from the shop. They said it was a loose connection. It seems to be working fine now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same annoying noise eminating from the passenger footwell area. The dealer said they adjusted the wheelwell liner but it is still there. It could be coming from inside the passenger door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2011 Sonata SE in March, and noticed a creaking in the front passenger side of the vehicle. We still had fairly cool temperatures where I lived, and noticed if I had the heat on it would stop making the noise. I wasn't satisfied with that, so I had my wife drive one morning (with me in the passenger seat) listening and feeling for what the noise was. I located it: between the panel that is below the glovebox, where it meets the center console to the right of the shifter. Those two panels made a noise when hitting bumps, or accelerating/decelerating.

Fixed this by spraying WD-40 onto a business card and sliding it between the two panels. If this is your issue (made a very loud creaking sound) give it a try. Pretty good and inexpensive fix for me.

Good Luck! NH2VA

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (NH2VA @ Jul 11 2010, 01:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340688
I bought my 2011 Sonata SE in March, and noticed a creaking in the front passenger side of the vehicle. We still had fairly cool temperatures where I lived, and noticed if I had the heat on it would stop making the noise. I wasn't satisfied with that, so I had my wife drive one morning (with me in the passenger seat) listening and feeling for what the noise was. I located it: between the panel that is below the glovebox, where it meets the center console to the right of the shifter. Those two panels made a noise when hitting bumps, or accelerating/decelerating.

Fixed this by spraying WD-40 onto a business card and sliding it between the two panels. If this is your issue (made a very loud creaking sound) give it a try. Pretty good and inexpensive fix for me.

Good Luck! NH2VA

My car also has an annoying creak from this general area. Makes the sound as I come to a stop, or accelerate (basically when momentum shifts in the car.) If I put my hand in one of the cupholders, and push down on the bottom of it, the creak goes away.

I am going to try the WD-40 trick you did and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (glenn716 @ Jul 11 2010, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340762
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t50659-noise...r-side-dash.htm
sometimes you have to read a little to find your answer. This might not help everyone.
In my case I had the glove box rattle/clunk and fixed that myself with some strategically placed high density foam. Insulating that glove box made a world of difference, but the creaking is still there just like NH2VA had in his Sonata.

There are definitely a few different sources of noises in the 2011 Sonatas. It is just a matter of isloating them one at a time :grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an SE and I had the same rattle on the front passenger side. There are two issues:

1) the glove box is not completely tight against the lower dash. This is compounded by the heavy owner's manual.

2) a second rattle comes from the plastic piston that holds the glove box. If you look behind the box, you will see that it can move slightly and driving over rough pavement will cause it to rattle.

I took my sonata in to be tightened. They gave me a loaner GLS Sonata and it had the same issue. The rattle wasn't as bad, so I attributed that to the different suspension system.

The dealer tightened everything and I would say the the rattle is 95% gone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have creaking noise from my front passenger side. Seems to be coming from the suspension. I reproduce it when pulling into a driveway, or uneven roads, etc. It is not the glove box rattle, this has been eliminated as a source of the noise. I took it in and the dealer diagnosed it as sway bar, and replaced the whole assembly. Creak is still there, but not as loud as before.

Anyone else getting the creaking noise?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too get the same creek. It is suspension related for sure. If you go through a parking lot at low speed, make big turns left and right. Almost every right turn it is there. I am thinking it is sway bar but I don't like reading that it didn't fix it. It is worse when the car is cold. Seems to go away when it is warmer out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (sklingb @ Mar 22 2011, 01:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=418952
I too get the same creek. It is suspension related for sure. If you go through a parking lot at low speed, make big turns left and right. Almost every right turn it is there. I am thinking it is sway bar but I don't like reading that it didn't fix it. It is worse when the car is cold. Seems to go away when it is warmer out.
If it's worse when cold, my guess would be bushing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just started having the same noise in my turbo. It sounds suspension related from the rear. It started a couple of days ago. Guess I'll need to take it in. Or better yet, take the service writer for a test drive so he can decide what to write up. I have nothing in my trunk, so it's not extra weight causing the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine seems to do this first thing in the morning when I am backing out of my parking spot. It's a creaking on the passenger side front. I need to have the wife back it up for me so I can sit on the pass. side and see if I can locate it. Between the creak and a buzzing noise in the dash when accelerating, it's getting annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm experiencing something similar- Whenever the passenger side of the vehicle rolls over large humps (not bumps) I hear the creaking noise. It happens mainly when I am pulling into a driveway with a large curb, or when the passenger side rolls over a wheelchair ramp type hump- Things that could cause a little chassis flex. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere under the front passenger seat. Could a loose seat mount bolt cause this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just started noticing this noise a few days ago. I can only reproduce it when I am coming to a "quicker" stop, going over bumps. It is def suspension related. It is when the weight of the car is being transfered to the front of the car during the stop, if that makes sense. If I come to a slower stop, and the front end of the car isn't lowering as I stop, I don't hear it.

I am getting annoyed with this car - Alignment, Alignment, Camber Bolt, Alignment, Gas Cap door, Alignment, now this...UGH! Enough already! I haven't even had them look at the heat/AC vents and how air never stops coming out of the defroster. The vents I know about, but the defroster? Come on...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was experiencing a similar matalic rattling noise comming from the passenger seat. I just found out that it was the seat adjustment spring that was making noise. After adjusting back and forth several times, the noise is gone in my Sonata.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts