Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else experiencing a large number of interior rattles in their Sonata?

My car only has 700 miles on it and seems to develop a new one every day. At this point:
1. Constant loud ticking from inside driver's door.
2. Rattle in console from the plastic around the power ports/usb-ipod port
3. Rattle from upper passenger side dash (not the glove box)
4. Rattle from rear parcel shelf/deck
5. Rattle from front passenger door area
6. Driver's seat "knocks" when weight shifts in it. Moving the seat forward then back again eliminates the knock for a while, then it will come back.
7. Speaker in driver's door has started to vibrate with certain bass notes or voices (and the bass is only set to +2)

Items 1 and 6 in the list are the worst at this point, and will need to be resolved as soon as possible. I am starting to dread driving my new car.

Anyone else noticing problems?

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ May 20 2010, 08:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324575

My car only has 700 miles on it and seems to develop a new one every day. At this point:
6. Driver's seat "knocks" when weight shifts in it. Moving the seat forward then back again eliminates the knock for a while, then it will come back.
7. Speaker in driver's door has started to vibrate with certain bass notes or voices (and the bass is only set to +2)

Items 1 and 6 in the list are the worst at this point, and will need to be resolved as soon as possible. I am starting to dread driving my new car.

So sorry you are having such bad luck with your car. I have the wind noise from the driver side window. I don't think it's the mirror and I have the same issue you have with your vibration with the bass but on the passenger side. Hopefully you can get these things resolved without too much hassle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ May 20 2010, 07:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324575

That is a little much. My rattles come from the driver side console side trim. If I wedge my hand between the driver seat and the console side trim, the rattle stops, so I know definitely, it is the trim.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ May 20 2010, 07:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324575

Mine is pretty good so far.. I do have a little bit of the speaker buzz on low bass. I had the same issue on my last 2 Chryslers with similar speaker placement.

I also had a very slight tick on very rough roads from what I thought was the drivers door. It turns out to be a squeak from the left side of the headliner next to the sun roof. If you push up on that area is sounds like crunching styrofoam. On rough roads you hear a very slight tick/rattle from the area. Again, this one is not an issue unless you are on a washboard surface.

I will have the dealer attempt adjustments when I get my first oil change.

Overall this is as good or better than most cars I have owned, but not quite up the the level of my Infiniti's.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ticking noise in my driver's door is a constant, hollow metallic tick...like something tapping against a metal surface. Imagine the sound of a very small piece of gravel being shaken in a soup can...that is the noise I have. It is on every kind of surface, even freshly paved roads. I am thinking it is a wire or wiring harness tapping against the inside of the driver's door or something. It can even be heard over the sound of the stereo (at volume level 9).

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ May 20 2010, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324605
The ticking noise in my driver's door is a constant, hollow metallic tick...like something tapping against a metal surface. Imagine the sound of a very small piece of gravel being shaken in a soup can...that is the noise I have. It is on every kind of surface, even freshly paved roads. I am thinking it is a wire or wiring harness tapping against the inside of the driver's door or something. It can even be heard over the sound of the stereo (at volume level 9).
Have you tried the window? Could be the regulator.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have a rattle in the back seat. It's either in the roof or one of the side pillars. I just brought it in and the dealer did not fix it despite me leaving the car there. At this point I'm kinda irked. The noise only occurs when I go over bumps. It sounds like a loose wire. The dealer I brought it to told me it was the spare tire rattling around because it was missing its retaining screw but it was definitely not that. Overall all though a few things are to be expected and I would rate the build quality very high.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Same here. All sorts of rattles from the front and rear and even the sunroof. I will have to ask the dealer to look at it when I get an oil change.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the outside temperature today is about 80 degrees and the rattles in my car were significantly reduced. Seems as though they might be temperature related. It had been in the 50's and 60's here recently, which may be part of the reason for the rattles. Plastic and cool temperatures don't mix all that well.

I can't wait until we get down to the single digits this Winter. It coud be a real treat with this car.

It is good to know I am not alone with extra noises.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues some are experiencing. So far I got 1900km on it and no strange noises at all, did notice wind noise on driver side window during test drive of base model but mine hasn't had any issue. Unless the window visor is preventing the wind noise. I have crancked my bass to max and no rattles caused there either.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Only my glove box is rattling so far, and am going to tackle that later tonight. But I haven't driven on rough pavement yet, so we'll see then :innocent: .

·
Registered
213 Posts
Of those I have 2.... The glove box, and the sunroof / sun shade ... rattles when open, but close it about 3-4 inches and it stops ... that one may be tough to fix.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Only rattle I've had is the glove-box rattle from the 'light as a feather' owner's manual. Once I took it out the rattles disappeared.

Just a curiosity...how many responders have a Sonata with a sunroof? Maybe there's some structural flexing going on because of it? Not highly likely, but one never knows.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm at 1600 miles and drive 30 miles one way to/from work every day on a pretty rough highway. The only rattle I've found so far is the glove box. Taking out the manual does seem to make it go away, but that's not really a fix. I just haven't tried to look at it more closely to see if I can do something permanent about it.

The door rattle thing reminded me of a story one of my coworkers told me. He used to work as a mechanic at a local dealership and had a customer that kept coming in with a new car that had a rattle that they had been trying to track down for weeks. After an entire day dedicated to troubleshooting, he finally narrowed it down to the door. When he took the door panel and related pieces off (which were a real pain) he was able to reach down in the bottom of the door and found a little nut with one of those small manilla tags wire tied to it that read "You found it". Likely a gift from some disgruntled factory assembler.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 21 2010, 03:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325119
The door rattle thing reminded me of a story one of my coworkers told me. He used to work as a mechanic at a local dealership and had a customer that kept coming in with a new car that had a rattle that they had been trying to track down for weeks. After an entire day dedicated to troubleshooting, he finally narrowed it down to the door. When he took the door panel and related pieces off (which were a real pain) he was able to reach down in the bottom of the door and found a little nut with one of those small manilla tags wire tied to it that read "You found it". Likely a gift from some disgruntled factory assembler.
I once had a mechanic that told me a similar story from when he worked at a dealership. This didn't have a tag, but he claimed he found a golf ball inside the dash assembly.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 21 2010, 03:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325119
The only rattle I've found so far is the glove box. I just haven't tried to look at it more closely to see if I can do something permanent about it.

I did yesterday, and my car is quiet as a mouse now :thumbsup: . It's the lid. It doesn't close against the upper rubber stops, and the lid creaks against the sides. I fixed it by placing those squishy round cabinet-door stops aligned to hit the upper rubber stops, and at the very bottom of the lid. Had to placed 2 stacked up in all 4 locations. Lid closes nicely, and now that the lid is being pushed out a hair from both top and bottom, no more noise. Those buggers don't stick too well, even after using alcohol, so might put a drop of silicon if they fall. Hope this helps folks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am experiencing the driver window wind-noise (closest to ear obviously) and the passenger door panel rattle.

I'm thinking of getting the sound-deadening material from SharkRacing. Has anyone tried it? Here's the link:

SharkRacing Soundproofing Kit

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (b_real45 @ May 25 2010, 02:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326192
I am experiencing the driver window wind-noise (closest to ear obviously) and the passenger door panel rattle.

I'm thinking of getting the sound-deadening material from SharkRacing. Has anyone tried it? Here's the link:

SharkRacing Soundproofing Kit
I would be interested in hearing what your dealer service department has to say about the wind noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ May 20 2010, 08:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324575

I helped my mom purchase a Hyundai sonata SE yesterday. While the salesperson was tutoring on Navigation, sunglass box kept falling and we were not able to make it stay closed. We made an appointment with service department to address the issue.
Now.. I come back from work at 2AM.. It seems like sunglass box stay closed in colder temperature. I noticed that rpm is idling very high and it took very long time to come down to about 600rpm. What it bother me the most is engine rattling type of noise when car is P positon. It sounds worse than the 10 years old car that we traded for.
When I pop the hood I notice that engine vibrates much harder than any other car that I owned. Is this something normal in 2011 Hyundai Sonata or did my mom just purchase a defective car?
Car has 24 miles on it

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (7300valero @ May 26 2010, 02:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326434
I helped my mom purchase a Hyundai sonata SE yesterday. While the salesperson was tutoring on Navigation, sunglass box kept falling and we were not able to make it stay closed. We made an appointment with service department to address the issue.
Now.. I come back from work at 2AM.. It seems like sunglass box stay closed in colder temperature. I noticed that rpm is idling very high and it took very long time to come down to about 600rpm. What it bother me the most is engine rattling type of noise when car is P positon. It sounds worse than the 10 years old car that we traded for.
When I pop the hood I notice that engine vibrates much harder than any other car that I owned. Is this something normal in 2011 Hyundai Sonata or did my mom just purchase a defective car?
Car has 24 miles on it
The "rattling" noise is normal for this car. It is a trait of Gas Direct Engines; it almost sounds a bit like a diesel. It is most prevalent just after starting.

I'd ask your dealer to verify that this is normal, and show you on another Sonata in case you do have something else going on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts