Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I last posted, and a lot has happened in and around my Elantra since then. I had a 10 inch Alpine type-S being pushed by a 500 watt amp in a ported box in the trunk. Long story short I ended up frying my battery and nearly destroying the on board computer due to an installation problem of mine.... Anyways, when I still had the sub in the car the back deck (under the rear window) would rattle horribly. It was better with the back seat down but the rattles were still there. Now, after taking too long of a break from bass I want to re-install the sub. Has anybody else encountered these terrible rattles? If so what did y'all do to eliminate them? I've tried everything... I've stuffed trash bags under the deck, I've put a towel in between the glass and the deck, but nothing really helps. Will I need to resort to a sound deadening material? Thanks everyone.

·
22,793 Posts
What about some foam packing material...not peanuts. The stuff they make those cheaper foam pillows from.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
What about some foam packing material...not peanuts. The stuff they make those cheaper foam pillows from.
+1

Check out the flooring section at Home Depot... they sell a thin foam underlayment for composite flooring. Easier to insert than a towel, more cushiony than a garbage bag.

With the Elantra's light materials and thin insulation I'm not surprised that a subwoofer is causing bad vibes. Somewhere way back in this forum there's a comment from a stereo installer who had all sorts of grief with an Elantra.

·
22,793 Posts
Maybe the UPS store has something. But I like Don's Home Depot suggestion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What type of installation problem did you run into? Were you not running a fuse at the battery for the amp power?

I've noticed the same sound now that you've mentionned after I just installed my Infinity Basslink. I'm probably going to use the rest of my roll of 3M sound deadening mat on the rear deck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don67-Ok I'll give it a shot when I can hopefully put it back in this weekend.
jbiesent-No I just didn't tighten the nut on the battery post enough. Huge ordeal. Yeah the more power I've put to it the worse it gets. And it gets absolutely horrible.
I'm just really hoping I can fix the problem because when the sub is in there and the back seat is up all I can hear are those dang rattles. I can't even hear the bass!

·
Registered
12 Posts
To fix the rattles that I had in my rear deck I ended up using a sound deadening mat but it didn't solve all of the rattle. Then I stuffed trash bags up around the third brake light area to kinda lift the rear deck, but there was still some rattle. Finally I used socks to press up against the clips of the rear deck, and Voilà! All of the rattle was gone. It's not really an ideal setup but it works and that's what matters to me. I couldn't stand the rattling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts