Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, My i20 3 door classic is coming up for a year old and its suddenly developed a range of irritating internal noises which are:

-Passenger door rattles with the stereo on (through the vibrations from the speaker), even with just the radio on and people speaking!

-Vibration seeming from behind the odo metre at specific revs usually around 2-3k

-Rattle from the on board display unit (or that area) when going over even minor bumps

-Passenger side rear panel vibrates at speed over 40mph

Has anyone else had these problems? Also does anyone know where I stand warranty wise with irritating sounds that don't affect the performance? The warrant is pretty vague about this..

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
well in regard to the speaker, that might have blown or something, so they could replace that.

but the other stuff its hard to say what they can do, i took my car in because of a rattle from the front passenger seat, they didn't notice the issue when they took it for a drive though, but it sorted its self over time. ask them to check if you can spare the time, they might know what it could be and sort it for you, no harm in asking

·
Registered
59 Posts
I find there is a vibration from the dash board at certain engine revs.
It has always been there but isn't too much of a problem as it
goes when the revs change.
Probably something to do with resonance.

Lester...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine went in today due to rattles in the steering column - is going back next week to have the steering column replaced. I too get the dashboard viration at 2K revs - mechanic simply called it "trim vibration". I have a feeling a speaker is blown but have yet to fully test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.

Don't think the speaker has actually blown as the sound is fine its more like the inside panel is rattling with the vibrations similar to the rear passenger panel.

It just feels like the car isn't properly screwed to together which is dissapointing as I never had this sort noise problems with any of my old cars such as rovers, ford, vauxhalls all of which have 8 yrs old or over. I finally get a new car and at times it sounds like a tin can rattling away.

Well its going in on tuesday I'll see what they do about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (james_drink @ Oct 24 2010, 07:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365853
Thanks for the responses guys.

Don't think the speaker has actually blown as the sound is fine its more like the inside panel is rattling with the vibrations similar to the rear passenger panel.

It just feels like the car isn't properly screwed to together which is dissapointing as I never had this sort noise problems with any of my old cars such as rovers, ford, vauxhalls all of which have 8 yrs old or over. I finally get a new car and at times it sounds like a tin can rattling away.

Well its going in on tuesday I'll see what they do about it.
My i20 classic vibrates at around 2000rpm from the dash by the windscreen i think, you can hear it above the radio.
To me it makes the car sound/feel cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 5 door Comfort reg Jan2010 and I seem to be experiencing......
Vibration on the dashboard behind the odo meter at the same revs usually around 2k,
above or below these revs and the vibration disappears,
I've taken it in to Hyundia service but could not get it to happen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think dealers basically ignore stuff like this. Unlikely your car will be looked at properly if at all and you're wasting your time taking it to a dealer in my experience for stuff like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (NormB @ Nov 6 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369564
I have a 5 door Comfort reg Jan2010 and I seem to be experiencing......
Vibration on the dashboard behind the odo meter at the same revs usually around 2k,
above or below these revs and the vibration disappears,
I've taken it in to Hyundia service but could not get it to happen.
UPDATE ON THIS PROBLEM
After 5 months of trying to solve this problem my local Hyundai dealer has finally succeeded in finding what was causing the vibration.
My car ended being at the dealers for a total of 3 weeks off and on since Nov, doing things they thought it might be be and then when I collected the car it was no better,untill 2 weeks ago they had it for 2 weeks and the Hyundai Technician ran about in it who found it fustrating when it would vibrate at different times but not permanently.
He finally found that a fragment of metal (piece of weld) was moving about the metal frame behind the dash.
He removed this metal and hey presto!
Its now like driving a new car.
No complaints about my dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice one. It's great when you finally get these niggles sorted out especially after 5 months!

I had the steering column vibration problem which used to really annoy me. The dealer replaced a component & its been fine since then (touch wood). :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (sidness1 @ Oct 24 2010, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365854
My i20 classic vibrates at around 2000rpm from the dash by the windscreen i think, you can hear it above the radio.
To me it makes the car sound/feel cheap.
That's exactly right, the car is cheap. It is built very firmly down to a price. We have 2 x i20's that we paid £7995 for, I think the odd minor irritation is inevitable at those prices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My experience with cars generally is that interior trim vibrations/rattles tend to be ambient temperature dependent, especially plastic trim which creaks and squeaks on cold winter mornings however the noises disappear when the cabin warms up. Also the engine tends to get smoother as it gets up to normal operating temperature so creates less vibrations. Firm suspension also tends to aggravate cabin rattles.

As Fred pointed out it is a cheap car that is generally well built and offers an awful lot of kit for not very much money. I have to keep reminding myself that I only paid £7200 for it so it is never going to be without a few minor annoying issues. Don't forget it is a safe car that offers a 5 star Euro NCAP rating, ESP and disc brakes all round as standard which is amazing value at this price level. I believe that Hyundai have done the right thing and spent the limited budget on the things that matter rather than on plusher interior trim.

Luckily so far my car has remained fairly smooth and quiet, but it is one year old in July so I'll look forward to a few more rattles. Time to turn the radio up louder provided that the speakers don't vibrate!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same vibrations on dashboard. I was in servis but they don't know how to solve this problem. Please write me what was exactly the solution of this problem. I must show this solution in my servis, that they know what to do.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dashboard noise

I've just bought a new I20. My dashboard makes a loud vibration noise. I've had it in to the dealer 3 times and they cannot solve it and give it me back saying they have test driven it and it is fine. However, the noise only occurs when there is more weight on the passenger side (ie my husband!). It reduces when steering around left hand bends, but is worse around right. Does anyone else have this issue and what can I do please?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i own a 2009 i20 classic - and yes it too has that vibration from behind the odo at 2 - 2.5K revs - i have learned to live with it - i have had no other issues with the car whatsoever - fantastic value for money and good on fuel too - i for one am one happy bunny :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also have a similar noise - I managed to wedge a small/minute piece of foam between the (plastic?) binnacle surround and the perspexy cover thing to soften/eliminate the noise - it is a bit of trial and error by touching the perspexy cover thing in the right place and putting the foam or similar in the right place - it is not perfect but seems to have improved things - I have spent far more on new cars and still had rattles/creaks in them - all in all I think it is a cracking car for the money

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, My i20 3 door classic is coming up for a year old and its suddenly developed a range of irritating internal noises which are:

-Passenger door rattles with the stereo on (through the vibrations from the speaker), even with just the radio on and people speaking!

-Vibration seeming from behind the odo metre at specific revs usually around 2-3k

-Rattle from the on board display unit (or that area) when going over even minor bumps

-Passenger side rear panel vibrates at speed over 40mph

Has anyone else had these problems? Also does anyone know where I stand warranty wise with irritating sounds that don't affect the performance? The warrant is pretty vague about this..

Thanks
Dear Friend,

I have Verna 2019 model which I purchased in August last year. I have rattle sound coming from left door. And the problem is it comes when the car goes through rough patches on road. The dealer and service people are unable to locate it. And trust me they will never entertain you for these queries.

There are videos on youtube which can help you locate the noise. Also it is better you yourself do a research and fix it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts