Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Santa Fe. Such a smooth ride. My commute to work is not on the freeway so my speeds aren't very high most of the time. I recently went on a 1,000 mile trip and it quickly became apparent that there was a loud rattle when I was driving about 65mph and over. It's coming from the driver side but I can't put my finger on where it is coming from. Sometimes it sounds almost like a squeek from body flex, other times it sounds almost like there is a shoelace or something hanging out the door and tapping on the door or something. At times it is very loud and continuous and other times not so loud. My passengers kept asking me what the noise was. Very distracting. Some guesses are that it's the gas door, the roof rails, or the door handles that are rattling under wind. It doesn't seem to happen at all when when I drive on rough roads, it is almost always above 60/65mph which leads me to believe it's something that's rattling from the wind. My dealer told me to bring it in and he'll have a tech ride with me to listen for it. But knowing my luck I won't be able to replicate the rattle and they're just going to shrug their shoulders.

Has anyone noticed any rattles/squeeks/taps from wind at higher speeds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just yesterday - on a day trip to Gettysburg -- we heard an odd rattle coming from behind the driver's head. Took us a couple of mins to track it down to the cover on the panoramic window -- the fabric was flapping a bit. I opened & closed the cover and we didn't hear it again. I'm going to watch this -- hoping it doesn't mean that the cover/shade will stretch and get loose over time! This was a first time/so far only-time event. I love the big window so we open the shade a lot during travel when the sun isn't too direct.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
First I have heard of noises with the LWB.

Somewhere, someone posted a picture of the tiny flap in front of the wheel wells underneath the car and how they had not been screwed in properly, and as a result, they were flapping and rattling at higher speeds. Not sure if it was in this sub-forum or the DM 2013 Santa Fe forum. A search may provide some results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jbrown. i think i know what you are talking about. I experience the same exact noise. Something to do with the door. Next time you hear it, try pushing the drivers side door out and it will stop. Can't figure it out after that though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Somewhere, someone posted a picture of the tiny flap in front of the wheel wells underneath the car and how they had not been screwed in properly, and as a result, they were flapping and rattling at higher speeds. Not sure if it was in this sub-forum or the DM 2013 Santa Fe forum. A search may provide some results.
Yep! Same issue with mine, just found it the other night! Glad to hear someone else had the same issue. One of the clips that holds flap in had popped out so at high speeds that plastic flap was rattling against the frame causing loud noises. So glad it was that and not something else!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Other noises

While were on the subject of unexplained noises; I have a squeak that I have not been able to get rid of. When turning or going over large bumps I hear a squeaking noise from the rear of the car that sounds like it is coming from the driver side rear quarter panel. I read on the SWB site that it was attributed to the Styrofoam carrier for the jack and spare tire tools. I had the dealer adjust it, but the squeak remains. It really sounds like Styrofoam twisting or moving against another surface. Anybody else have this problem or know how to correct it?

·
Registered
870 Posts
While were on the subject of unexplained noises; I have a squeak that I have not been able to get rid of. When turning or going over large bumps I hear a squeaking noise from the rear of the car that sounds like it is coming from the driver side rear quarter panel. I read on the SWB site that it was attributed to the Styrofoam carrier for the jack and spare tire tools. I had the dealer adjust it, but the squeak remains. It really sounds like Styrofoam twisting or moving against another surface. Anybody else have this problem or know how to correct it?
I think it's a weld spot that would need to be redone to fix that. It's discussed in the SWB forum too. Mine does that when the car twists a bit like going up on the driveway or so. But most of the time it's quiet so I guess I won't bother trying to get the weld redone.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yep! Same issue with mine, just found it the other night! Glad to hear someone else had the same issue. One of the clips that holds flap in had popped out so at high speeds that plastic flap was rattling against the frame causing loud noises. So glad it was that and not something else!
Awesome...glad that was the issue and it was easily sorted out. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it's a weld spot that would need to be redone to fix that. It's discussed in the SWB forum too. Mine does that when the car twists a bit like going up on the driveway or so. But most of the time it's quiet so I guess I won't bother trying to get the weld redone.
Yes, I hear it when the car twists. What is causing the squeak? Is it the Styrofoam moving? How does the spot weld fix it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same issue.

·
Registered
413 Posts

I had this issue, it was really loud when I hit puddles!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my Santa Fe. Such a smooth ride. My commute to work is not on the freeway so my speeds aren't very high most of the time. I recently went on a 1,000 mile trip and it quickly became apparent that there was a loud rattle when I was driving about 65mph and over. It's coming from the driver side but I can't put my finger on where it is coming from. Sometimes it sounds almost like a squeek from body flex, other times it sounds almost like there is a shoelace or something hanging out the door and tapping on the door or something. At times it is very loud and continuous and other times not so loud. My passengers kept asking me what the noise was. Very distracting. Some guesses are that it's the gas door, the roof rails, or the door handles that are rattling under wind. It doesn't seem to happen at all when when I drive on rough roads, it is almost always above 60/65mph which leads me to believe it's something that's rattling from the wind. My dealer told me to bring it in and he'll have a tech ride with me to listen for it. But knowing my luck I won't be able to replicate the rattle and they're just going to shrug their shoulders.

Has anyone noticed any rattles/squeeks/taps from wind at higher speeds?
EXACTLY! That is what is happening to me. Only at high speeds, not over bumps but on smooth even roads & starts around 60 - 65+ mph. Took a 300 mile trip Monday & could not even drown out the noise with the radio. Did not do that in the beginning but has been getting worse the last couple of weeks. Have had the car only since June 7th. Will have the flaps checked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is this clip, of which you speak? I also have that problem, and the noise is very strong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts