Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new here but wondering if anyone ever found the cause? My wife's car does same thing(cold starts/setting overnight/worst on hot days) I KNOW it's an engine rattle, 96% sure its "No oil in top end' rattle and not timing chain or exaust bit would hate to tear it down for the wrong reason! Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
On my car it was a lack of oil pressure in the timing chain tensioner or CVVT. Once pressure built up it was fine. Hate to tell you, but about a month ago, it finally died and I had to replace engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my car it was a lack of oil pressure in the timing chain tensioner or CVVT. Once pressure built up it was fine. Hate to tell you, but about a month ago, it finally died and I had to replace engine.
So I need to replace oil pump Now or get rid of it ASAP?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was speaking of oil pressure at engine off. If temporary startup sound is timing chain rattle, usually tensioner is not holding oil pressure and pushing piston to keep chain taut when engine is at rest. Or CVVT could be making the noise and not adjusting timing properly. Of the two matters, I do not know for sure what caused my noise. However, if oil pump were defective, wouldn't you have same symptoms all the time, not just at startup? Oil pressure is not that difficult to measure. Why not check that first?

I did eliminate some idle noise (that happened all the time, not just when cold) when I replace the intake CVVT oil valve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was speaking of oil pressure at engine off. If temporary startup sound is timing chain rattle, usually tensioner is not holding oil pressure and pushing piston to keep chain taut when engine is at rest. Or CVVT could be making the noise and not adjusting timing properly. Of the two matters, I do not know for sure what caused my noise. However, if oil pump were defective, wouldn't you have same symptoms all the time, not just at startup? Oil pressure is not that difficult to measure. Why not check that first?

I did eliminate some idle noise (that happened all the time, not just when cold) when I replace the intake CVVT oil valve.
Ok I misunderstood. The best way to explain it is it sounds like after an oil change and ALL oil is in the pan, none in filter etc. I do not have an oil pressure gauge at the moment but I will get one ASAP! Can the oil pressure be checked on these(2011 elantra) via obd2?

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Rattle on start is not normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for all the responses. I have checked the exhaust, and it doesn't appear to be a rattle from something loosening up. The noise only occurs at cold start up, and is a grinding, metallic noise for about 2 seconds tops. Sometimes it's much less pronounced. It appears worse when it's been sitting in a hot parking lot for a couple of hours. When it's sitting overnight in cooler areas it appears less. When it first started appearing about 2 oil changes ago, it took the car sitting for 6-8 hours for it to reappear. That oil change was with a non-OEM oil filter. I went to the Hyundai dealer to get an oil change with the OEM filter and it started taking 1-2 hours of sitting and it reappeared. After a cold start, it goes away. On restarts with a warm engine, it does not occur.

As I stated before, it sounds like the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is relaxing as the oil drains out, but I don't know enough to say that for sure. It looks like that is a difficult part to get at and replace ($$$).

My thoughts are that oil viscosity might have something to do with it getting better and worse. I've seen no other symptoms (decreased mpg, etc.) that seem to indicate the timing has changed, and the car appears to run fine other than this. It's valve lifters are noisy at start like they all appear to be, so that's not a concern to me.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Nu engine and what have you tried?

Did you ever find a fix for this? I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with the exact same issue - split second rattle on cold start up - and had my timing chain tensioner, VVT sprockets, intake & exhaust valves replaced & the issue went away for a few months but started again right after I changed my oil (non-OEM filter...not sure what type of oil). Original car shop finally looked at it, changed the filter and it did get less prominent, but the past few days has gotten worse. Just trying to figure out if this ended up being an oil pressure thing or what bc I cannot drop another $2k on repairs less than a year apart.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Go back to the oem filter or a reputable filter. I'd recommend 5w 30 oil. The oil is the main issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go back to the oem filter or a reputable filter. I'd recommend 5w 30 oil. The oil is the main issue.
an OEM filter was put in back in July with 5w20, i’ll try to bump it up and see if that helps at all. thanks! did you experience any other oil-related issues?

·
Registered
160 Posts
OEM filter and 5W-30 will not fix rattle. I've done both and always had rattle noise since day 1. Sometimes no rattle, sometimes loud rattle. It goes away in seconds. Car drives perfect.
I am not going down the rabbit hole to start throwing money at guess fixes (timing chain, timing extenders, etc)

·
Registered
165 Posts
an OEM filter was put in back in July with 5w20, i’ll try to bump it up and see if that helps at all. thanks! did you experience any other oil-related issues?
There's a known issue with that engine. Thin oil doesn't help. Might be a recall on this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sigh unfortunately no recalls i’ve been able to find related to timing chain, or even the engine in general. just complaints and comments about the oil. might be worth a call to Hyundai to see though, thanks

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I asked a top-tier Hyundai tech with many many years on Hyundai. He told me the short term (a few seconds) rattle on start up is totally normal and hurts nothing. The chain is a loose fit with engine off so that no stress is placed on the cams. Tight enough to not jump timing, but loose enough to protect the cams. When the engine starts the oil pressure activates the hydraulic tensioner which then takes up the slack, quietening the chain.

He also noted that Hyundai specs 5W20, but in our area 5w30 is just fine, even 10w30 during the summer. But not during the winter because in sub ~20F temps the oil flow for the cam timing will be sluggish and can throw a code for cam timing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sienna, engine was replaced at around 135k. However, I recently purchased a 2012 from my brother (I'm never learn, right? lol). It has the same rattle at start. I have recently heard it is actually the VVT making its timing adjustments and making the noise, not timing chain. I am leaning towards agreeing with that. You need to know that my 2011 (that had engine replacement) was purchased from auction, and the chain tensioner was busted at delivery. Might have done some damage to timing components at that time. BTW, the used replacement engine with only 60k miles had the same noise.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I asked a top-tier Hyundai tech with many many years on Hyundai. He told me the short term (a few seconds) rattle on start up is totally normal and hurts nothing.
Good to hear because I was not going to fix anything anyway.. Also have been using 5W-30 conventional oil since I purchased the car at 40K miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NO, it is not normal! I have same issues, brought our vehicle to dealer, they told me same thing, seems they fixed it, however after several days it came back, not as loud as it was before, but lil bit noticeable...will go to different dealer now.
I have the same issue and after 2000 dollars in repairs it's still there

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have a 2015 1.8L and it has always been loud at start up since it was new. I parked beside another one the other day and the guy was just getting in his car, i listened and it sounded exactly like mine. These engines are loud and annoying but it doesn't mean something is wrong with ALL of them. Just change the oil ,keep up with regular maintenance, and run it. End of story

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you for all the responses. I have checked the exhaust, and it doesn't appear to be a rattle from something loosening up. The noise only occurs at cold start up, and is a grinding, metallic noise for about 2 seconds tops. Sometimes it's much less pronounced. It appears worse when it's been sitting in a hot parking lot for a couple of hours. When it's sitting overnight in cooler areas it appears less. When it first started appearing about 2 oil changes ago, it took the car sitting for 6-8 hours for it to reappear. That oil change was with a non-OEM oil filter. I went to the Hyundai dealer to get an oil change with the OEM filter and it started taking 1-2 hours of sitting and it reappeared. After a cold start, it goes away. On restarts with a warm engine, it does not occur.

As I stated before, it sounds like the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is relaxing as the oil drains out, but I don't know enough to say that for sure. It looks like that is a difficult part to get at and replace ($$$).

My thoughts are that oil viscosity might have something to do with it getting better and worse. I've seen no other symptoms (decreased mpg, etc.) that seem to indicate the timing has changed, and the car appears to run fine other than this. It's valve lifters are noisy at start like they all appear to be, so that's not a concern to me.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Nu engine and what have you tried?
My car started out this way too. Had many things changed you can read all my posts however, the tensioner was the issue and took too long to diagnose so camshaft and crankshaft sprockets had to be replaced too. The tensioner is just under $200 for the part itself from the dealer labor I'm not sure my car was a total of $750 for parts and 535 for the labor but the tensioner and the sprockets were replaced. Get it done now or you will have a whole series of problems in the not so distant future. You are correct regarding the oil viscosity our cars require regular oil changes with the oil stated on the cap. This is a variable valve timed engine it is critical that the oil be correct and changed regularly if you don't you will have issues with timing and oil control valve solenoids etc. Hope this helps, happy driving.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts