Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a rattle that lasts 2 seconds on my 2012 Elantra for the since about 2 oil changes ago. The car has 152,000 miles on it and I've changed the oil regularly per the maintenance schedule, although not always with a Hyundai filter.

I'm strongly suspecting that this is the timing chain tensioner, but I could be wrong. Other than this, the car runs fine. I tried having the oil changed by the Hyundai dealer with the OEM oil filter and the problem appears to be a little worse. It first started to appear on cold start up after the car sat for >8 hrs or so. Now, it appears on cold start up >2 hrs. I noticed that the dealer put 5W20 in it. I'm wondering if lower viscosity oil makes the problem worse during hot weather. It seems when the weather is colder it takes longer for it to appear. I'm wondering what my options are here. I really don't know how much $$ it is to go after the tensioner and how critical it is - the dealer said they do replace them and that doesn't always fix the problem though I'm not sure what he meant. I have read a few other posts about tensioners here, but I'm also wondering if this is an issue with the new engine.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it rattle in 2 second is normal...If you notice when you ignite, the rpm clock starts at 2k rpm...Then, between 1000 rpm and 1500 rpm...the car will likely rattle a little bit...then when below 1k rpm...It went back to normal... It happens to car with 20k now so don't worry.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you gotten under the car and checked the exhaust? Sometimes welds break and once the car warms up a little and metal expands and the engine runs at different RPMs and changes the resonance frequency of the engine vibrations the rattle can go away. Check all over the car for a loose or broken bracket or bad weld.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Have you gotten under the car and checked the exhaust? Sometimes welds break and once the car warms up a little and metal expands and the engine runs at different RPMs and changes the resonance frequency of the engine vibrations the rattle can go away. Check all over the car for a loose or broken bracket or bad weld.
Yes the dealers are installing exhaust clamps for exhaust rattle. Mine was pretty bad and just got worse over time. I also had an issue with my can gears but it was more of a grinding noise than a rattle. At this point if the dealer doesn't know what the problem is don't just throw money at it.

As far as oil goes the spec calls for 5W20 or 5W30 in all weather conditions and 10W30 in warmer climates. My car seems quieter with 5W30

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think it rattle in 2 second is normal...If you notice when you ignite, the rpm clock starts at 2k rpm...Then, between 1000 rpm and 1500 rpm...the car will likely rattle a little bit...then when below 1k rpm...It went back to normal... It happens to car with 20k now so don't worry.
NO, it is not normal! I have same issues, brought our vehicle to dealer, they told me same thing, seems they fixed it, however after several days it came back, not as loud as it was before, but lil bit noticeable...will go to different dealer now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
NO, it is not normal! I have same issues, brought our vehicle to dealer, they told me same thing, seems they fixed it, however after several days it came back, not as loud as it was before, but lil bit noticeable...will go to different dealer now.
Did you detect where is the noise come from? Do you think that battery wear off cause the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the responses. I have checked the exhaust, and it doesn't appear to be a rattle from something loosening up. The noise only occurs at cold start up, and is a grinding, metallic noise for about 2 seconds tops. Sometimes it's much less pronounced. It appears worse when it's been sitting in a hot parking lot for a couple of hours. When it's sitting overnight in cooler areas it appears less. When it first started appearing about 2 oil changes ago, it took the car sitting for 6-8 hours for it to reappear. That oil change was with a non-OEM oil filter. I went to the Hyundai dealer to get an oil change with the OEM filter and it started taking 1-2 hours of sitting and it reappeared. After a cold start, it goes away. On restarts with a warm engine, it does not occur.

As I stated before, it sounds like the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is relaxing as the oil drains out, but I don't know enough to say that for sure. It looks like that is a difficult part to get at and replace ($$$).

My thoughts are that oil viscosity might have something to do with it getting better and worse. I've seen no other symptoms (decreased mpg, etc.) that seem to indicate the timing has changed, and the car appears to run fine other than this. It's valve lifters are noisy at start like they all appear to be, so that's not a concern to me.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Nu engine and what have you tried?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for all the responses. I have checked the exhaust, and it doesn't appear to be a rattle from something loosening up. The noise only occurs at cold start up, and is a grinding, metallic noise for about 2 seconds tops. Sometimes it's much less pronounced. It appears worse when it's been sitting in a hot parking lot for a couple of hours. When it's sitting overnight in cooler areas it appears less. When it first started appearing about 2 oil changes ago, it took the car sitting for 6-8 hours for it to reappear. That oil change was with a non-OEM oil filter. I went to the Hyundai dealer to get an oil change with the OEM filter and it started taking 1-2 hours of sitting and it reappeared. After a cold start, it goes away. On restarts with a warm engine, it does not occur.

As I stated before, it sounds like the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is relaxing as the oil drains out, but I don't know enough to say that for sure. It looks like that is a difficult part to get at and replace ($$$).

My thoughts are that oil viscosity might have something to do with it getting better and worse. I've seen no other symptoms (decreased mpg, etc.) that seem to indicate the timing has changed, and the car appears to run fine other than this. It's valve lifters are noisy at start like they all appear to be, so that's not a concern to me.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Nu engine and what have you tried?
I think you're spot-on with the timing chain tensioner. Check out my thread from yesterday (with a video of the sound so you can compare to yours):

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-present-elantra-sedan-coupe/400953-very-loud-clicking-knocking-cold-ish-start.html

Heard back from the dealer just a few moments ago and they confirmed that they replaced the timing chain tensioner (under factory warranty too!). He said they weren't super-happy with the way it started this morning, so they are looking at a few more things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So does anyone know what it costs to replace the chain tensioner on this vehicle? I'm assuming that the timing chain and pulleys should probably be done at the same time. Unfortunately, the warranty's up on this car, so there's that.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
So does anyone know what it costs to replace the chain tensioner on this vehicle? I'm assuming that the timing chain and pulleys should probably be done at the same time.
Most tensioner replacements reported in this forum were done under warranty. sbr711 could probably give you some idea of cost if you PM him.

With 150,000 miles it's hard to imagine going inside the engine without replacing the timing chain, tensioner and water pump. That's a significant expense for a high-mileage car that's basically running fine. I'd consider doing it if the car had been babied its whole life, and I was confident of getting another 100k from the transmission and other major components. Otherwise I'd just cross my fingers and drive it into the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have the EXACT noise. I looked at your you tube video and it sounds identical to mine. 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 80k. We have replaced timing chain assembly twice with no positive results. We have also had OCV replaced. We are now leaning towards oil pump or simply getting rid of the car. Have you fixed your issue and if so, what was the fix? Thanks

·
Banned
465 Posts
On cold start my engine makes a noise for about a minute of more. Longer when it is cold out. Car now has 38000 miles.
That sound video in this thread is 100% oil pressure related IMO, and more then just some filter's anti drain valve, but could be, do you see any oil leakage anywhere? if that's the case, it would be extremely minor in nature and may not even make it to ground.

Just curious what oil filter and weight, are you using? who changed your oil last? shame car is just a baby still, at what mileage did this first occur - Ed

·
Banned
465 Posts
I too have the EXACT noise. I looked at your you tube video and it sounds identical to mine. 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 80k. We have replaced timing chain assembly twice with no positive results. We have also had OCV replaced. We are now leaning towards oil pump or simply getting rid of the car. Have you fixed your issue and if so, what was the fix? Thanks
that's 100% oil pressure related, do not let anyone tell you different, reading what you replaced so far?, may be time to cut loses, they just replaced things to replace and bill, timing chain? not once but twice?, that's not a chain noise and you only replace that, when stretched - Ed

PS leaning towards oil pump? that's the only thing left, that and internal passages. Look, could it finally be the oil pump, and stopping after all this now could be a bad decision? maybe?, but the part that they replaced a chain twice thinking that was the cause speaks volumes about the future, unless I misunderstood something and that was another problem?. personally I would get rid of the car at this point as well as them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
has been making noise since about 10k miles. Car has always had oem filters and whatever the oil the dealer uses. I assume it is a 5w-20 blend. Just used last oil change coupon this past weekend. will be doing my own changes from now on.

·
Banned
465 Posts
has been making noise since about 10k miles. Car has always had oem filters and whatever the oil the dealer uses. I assume it is a 5w-20 blend. Just used last oil change coupon this past weekend. will be doing my own changes from now on.
Just for the record, I was asking purely out of curiosity only, I am not one of those people that push Hyundai filters, my preference is Fram, but will be using Hyundai because I bought a 10 pack and I like the sealed up filter end, who knows I may stay with Hyundai filters, but then again I may not.

Great you decided to change your own Oil, you will 100% know for sure, everything got changed and what brand quality oil was used. and who knows maybe things will straighten out," but whatever you do", never take off while your car is making that noise. please come back and update things. - all the best - Eddie

PS one guy on here marked a X on his filter before dropping off, and apparently had that X after picking up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you had the cold start rattle, was just wondering how many more miles you drove it without any other problems. I just replaced all timing chain components on my 2011 Elantra, and still have the start up noise, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are suffering from upper cylinder oil starvation, from the oil draining back into the sump.. if left long enough it all goes. I recently had this problem on a 'new' 2006 Hyundai Azera after the used car dealer changed the oil and filter before delivery. I explored all options for cause, including Mystery Oil. Then I changed the oil filter (which as made in Poland??) for an OEM filter from Autozone. The brand was Full 2-OHY003....comes with 2 O rings.. cost $7.00. The problem has completely gone away. Cold starts a dream...even tho the car has 132000 mile well looked after.
Incredible. Amazing

1 - 20 of 37 Posts