Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car would rev high to 3k rpms for around 3 seconds on start ups. After I did a timing belt job the car has been jumping 2k to 3.5k back down to 3k, etc sometimes settling at 1.5k. Each time it jumps it stays there for about three seconds. This mainly happens when I am stopped and foot off the throttle, but still does it when it drives, but it is not noticed as much since there is a load under the engine.

Couple of notes:

I made dam sure the timing was correct and belt teeth were installed properly, checked it about 10 times before buttoning everything up. Only thing I can think of is that the belt is too tight but I don't see that causing this problem.

I did clean the pcv valve and a few electrical connections which solved the problem short term, but has come back 3-4 weeks later.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I would like to get this problem resolved so I can sell the car for around the kbb price, but with this issue I don't see it selling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I played around a little last night and pull the idle air control vlave off and cleaned it up. Was pretty nasty and that valve was a little sticky. How far open is it suppoed to be? Or is it supposed to be shut? Mine is open about a 1/4 of the way.

I pulled the connector off and the car ran better didnt flucuate as high but ran rough, which I would expect since it was not plugged in.

Was thinking of replacing this to see if it would solve the problem....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carb cleaner.

The whole intake manifold has a nice thick nasty gunk in it. Just don't know what it takes to remove it to clean.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Carb cleaner.

The whole intake manifold has a nice thick nasty gunk in it. Just don't know what it takes to remove it to clean.
I've had the same exact problem for two long years with my 2005 elantra, please let me know what the solution is when you find it. Thank you much., jim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts