Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone....I've had a new problem surface with my car and I wanted to see what everyone thought, or if anyone had had a similar problem. Car is a 2007 2.4L Sonata w/ 62k (2nd owner = out of warranty). HID kit installed w/o issues about a year ago. Has harness with fuse integrated hooked up to battery. No issues at all in the past year.

Last week I was driving on the highway and I went to turn my headlights and bam, my car bucked a bit. I was on the phone so I thought maybe the road was uneven and I didn't see it. So I turned them off a bit later (and then back on) and bam, now the car stalls. I was concerned about the lights having blown the harness or harness fuse, and killing my ECU. The car started back up with no issues. I didn't turn on the lights and went back home so I could investigate. I checked all the wires/fuse/harness and found no visible issues. Furthermore, the lights now turned on without any problems/sparks/mushroom clouds. I set the headlight switch to auto and drove the car around the rest of the week with no bucking/stalling issues.

Randomly last night I go to flash my high beams at a car and bam, the car stalls! So now I don't know if it is an HID issue or something else. When the high beams turn on the HIDs stay on (so there is no re-ignition when switching back to LOs). This makes me think maybe it's something else within the lighting sytem/electric system.

Any thoughts? Battery? Alternator? Thank you all (in advance) for your wisdom and help.

Update: Switched out the old bulky ballasts for new slim/digital ones and the problems SEEMS to be gone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Question: what type of ballasts do you use for you HIDs?

I ask this because I had the same issue, albeit a lot sooner than you did. I had the standard size ballasts and I noticed that my HIDs would flicker a bit before turning on, even with the fuse relay hooked up to the battery.

Then one day I was going under an underpass and ran into traffic. The car detected darkness and turned on the HIDs and bam, the car stalls right there on the interstate. I'd also had the same issue with flashing my high beams and the car stalling.

Once I switched both of my ballasts to slim ballasts, all of these issues went away (at least it been a couple months so far, but they seem to preform a lot better than the standard size ballasts).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have standard sized ballasts.....It's been close to 2 years now, so I guess it's time to order a new slim size kit. When you talk about "flicker" do you mean like it turns on a bit, then off, and then turns on completely? I see this ignition sequence when I leave my lights on AUTO and turn on my car. If this is what you are talking about when you say "flicker", then crap..I've had flicker from day #1. If "flicker" is just that...flickering while driving...then I haven't had that issue.

Regardless, I thought it was my alternator ($$$).

QUOTE (CLC @ Jun 16 2010, 09:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333405
Question: what type of ballasts do you use for you HIDs?

I ask this because I had the same issue, albeit a lot sooner than you did. I had the standard size ballasts and I noticed that my HIDs would flicker a bit before turning on, even with the fuse relay hooked up to the battery.

Then one day I was going under an underpass and ran into traffic. The car detected darkness and turned on the HIDs and bam, the car stalls right there on the interstate. I'd also had the same issue with flashing my high beams and the car stalling.

Once I switched both of my ballasts to slim ballasts, all of these issues went away (at least it been a couple months so far, but they seem to preform a lot better than the standard size ballasts).

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (rvv2002 @ Jun 16 2010, 07:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333404
Any thoughts? Battery? Alternator? Thank you all (in advance) for your wisdom and help.
I have read about a lot of problems after installing HID's (and high powered stereos). At first blush,
you think the wiring may be the problem.

The Sonata has an "interactive" alternator, which tries to run mostly at higher speeds and while coasting.

If a high load is introduced like HID's, maybe the alternator kicks in at a speed that it normally doesn't.
This could cause a sudden load on the engine that would feel a lot like the air conditioner compressor
kicking in. Just throwing it out there, I really don't know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered some 35W slim HIDs to replace my "classic"/huge 55W ballasts. Hopefully this will resolve the problem and/or reduce the load of the alternator. I'll let you guys know if this solves the problem.

QUOTE (bobad @ Jun 16 2010, 10:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333444
I have read about a lot of problems after installing HID's (and high powered stereos). At first blush,
you think the wiring may be the problem.

The Sonata has an "interactive" alternator, which tries to run mostly at higher speeds and while coasting.

If a high load is introduced like HID's, maybe the alternator kicks in at a speed that it normally doesn't.
This could cause a sudden load on the engine that would feel a lot like the air conditioner compressor
kicking in. Just throwing it out there, I really don't know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ive had the same issue, and it was the ballast, I had the standard sized ballast, One thing I did change tho is the Brand I bought this last time, about a 3 yrs ago, I went with McCulloch HID kit. and had no problems whatsoever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts