Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, just curious if anyone has experienced this?? Yesterday after I left work, i started the car and left like i always do. It wasnt crazy cold or anything, car was sitting there all day while at work, but was around 50 degrees. Anyways, i got about 2 blocks and came to a light to take a right, when i stopped at the light the car just died!?!?! I was like WTF...all the lights were lit up on the dash, i tried to start it, nada. I then put it in Park, and tried and it started right up. Got home no problems, went out after work, no problems, got to work no problems?!?!?!? Just curious, gonna call them today as i am due for an oil change...

·
22,793 Posts
Hasn't happened to me. But I would mention it to the service writer while I'm in for the oil change. If the computer didn't throw a code and they can't replicate the event, you're gonna get the shrugged shoulder look. And that's perfectly understandable. Otherwise, they'd be in there for hours and still may not find the cause. And they aren't getting paid to do that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Had this happen to me a couple months after I bought my car in April, so the weather was still beautiful. I put it into reverse and backed up maybe 5 feet and it stalled out like you experienced, put in in park to start it, hasn't happened since and it never threw a code. I did mention it to my dealer and they said if it happens again let them know...but thats about it, got the "shoulder shrug" like OkieRich is talking about lol

·
Registered
660 Posts
It happened to me several weeks ago, but I have never had a repeat problem with it since either. Let's hope it is just a one time freak thing that doesn't happen to someone else and puts them in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I suspect that if it happens to several cars under various scenarios then we will see more of it. I'll certainly post the details if I have it happen, so that we can try to find a pattern (or even point a dealer here if needed).

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i tried to start it, nada. I then put it in Park, and tried and it started right up.
If you tried to start it while in Drive, I'm glad to hear it did not work... Automatic cars only start in Park or Neutral, for obvious safety reasons.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it hasnt happened since, and i did take it to the dealer on friday and it threw no codes ofcourse. He said he could be anything...airpocket in the fuel line, glitch in the system etc...i am hoping that from your stories its just a one time deal. Will keep posted if it were to happen again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you tried to start it while in Drive, I'm glad to hear it did not work... Automatic cars only start in Park or Neutral, for obvious safety reasons.
haha...ya well i wasnt thinking at the time, was shocked first off that i had stauled and 2nd was on a main road...but ya i am glad that didnt work either!

·
Registered
560 Posts
had the other one happen to me. after a brief 3 minute stop and go @ the daycare, dropping my daughter off, the car was still warm, and it just wouldn't start. It took a couple tries to get going, but eventually it did..

PITA.

·
22,793 Posts
had the other one happen to me. after a brief 3 minute stop and go @ the daycare, dropping my daughter off, the car was still warm, and it just wouldn't start. It took a couple tries to get going, but eventually it did..

PITA.
Now, I did say it hasn't happened to me, but I did have something "unrelated but remotely similar" to this. I had started Ingrid and backed her out of the garage to do some stuff. Minutes later, I pulled her back in. Then I had a brain fart, and kicked myself mentally as I tried to start her up to back out, AGAIN. But this time, she refused. No start. Took a few tries, she finally fired up. Scared the devil outta me.

Since then, I had read of several similar scenarios of quick start/stops and then a failure to fire up for a brief period of time. I have not recreated the scenario nor done this since and haven't had one instance of failure, either. So...it is what it is? Maybe? Kinda? Possibly? Who knows? :eek: Murphy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts