Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so at the Sonata ages she has gotten a bit quirky.

1) The steering wheel volume and channel buttons operated backwards (up is down and vice versus). This has happened several times
2) Turn signals stopped working (once)
3) Brake lights stuck in the ON position. (once). I ended up wiggling the brake pedal and it went off. Went back later in the day and it was fine.

I am kinda thinking its a grounding issue. The two grounds near the front of the car at the OEM points (where I grounded my HIDs) look good. Where are the others I should look at?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
OK, so at the Sonata ages she has gotten a bit quirky.

1) The steering wheel volume and channel buttons operated backwards (up is down and vice versus). This has happened several times
2) Turn signals stopped working (once)
3) Brake lights stuck in the ON position. (once). I ended up wiggling the brake pedal and it went off. Went back later in the day and it was fine.

I am kinda thinking its a grounding issue. The two grounds near the front of the car at the OEM points (where I grounded my HIDs) look good. Where are the others I should look at?
1. Clock spring... mine does it as well... Also the warranty is extended on this part to i believe 150K or 15 years..
2. not sure, could of been a hiccup, i would scan BCM for any faults. the turn signal switch feeds directly to the BCM
3. check the brake light switch. make sure its not sticking. make sure the rubber pad that it rests against is still there.

Dont think its a grounding issue tbh. If anything issue three and two could possibly be related. I am 99% sure issue one is just a clock spring issue as my car acted funny with the steering wheel controls many times in the past.

Reactions: Bearcats

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Clock spring... mine does it as well... Also the warranty is extended on this part to i believe 150K or 15 years..
2. not sure, could of been a hiccup, i would scan BCM for any faults. the turn signal switch feeds directly to the BCM
3. check the brake light switch. make sure its not sticking. make sure the rubber pad that it rests against is still there.

Dont think its a grounding issue tbh. If anything issue three and two could possibly be related. I am 99% sure issue one is just a clock spring issue as my car acted funny with the steering wheel controls many times in the past.
1) I had thought about the clock spring. I bet if I can't replicate the issue on demand it would be a chore to get them to replace it. I certainly fall within those warranty parameters.
2) Yeah once and the turn signals/parking lights have also been flaky.
3) I am thinking I might just replace it. Its a $10 part and looks like two bolts plus small adjustments. I have never had it replaced.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

1) I had thought about the clock spring. I bet if I can't replicate the issue on demand it would be a chore to get them to replace it. I certainly fall within those warranty parameters.
2) Yeah once and the turn signals/parking lights have also been flaky.
3) I am thinking I might just replace it. Its a $10 part and looks like two bolts plus small adjustments. I have never had it replaced.
Record a video of it acting all funny. Turn the car off and wait 30 seconds and turn it back on. See if it works after that. Get it on video and show the dealer that. In regards to the brake light switch. There was a recall for it. Also there was a recall for the little rubber pad that the brake light switch rests against (it can fall off). So those are the things you should look into.

Reactions: DarrenBach
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.