Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I saw a previous post on this somewhere, however after attempting a search with no such luck, I'm posting the issue again.

From time to time, without rhyme or reason, my alarm will go off on it's own after I've used the key-fob to lock the doors manually. Some times it takes 5 mins before it goes off for no reason, other times 15 or so. Is there something I'm missing here? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It could be the sensors being too sensitive. All alarms tend to do that even aftermarket ones. How good the alarm really depends on how good the installation. You can probably have the dealer turn down the sensitivity a bit. that should solve your problem.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 6 2010, 12:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320283
It could be the sensors being too sensitive. All alarms tend to do that even aftermarket ones. How good the alarm really depends on how good the installation. You can probably have the dealer turn down the sensitivity a bit. that should solve your problem.
Sensitivity towards what? These aren't the Alarms of the 90's that spoke to you in Spanish or English if you got to near the Car. Nor does

it have a motion sensor, or a Microphone that those $99 Alarms featured. It is most likely the Button somehow being pressed by the user.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ May 6 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320264
I believe I saw a previous post on this somewhere, however after attempting a search with no such luck, I'm posting the issue again.

From time to time, without rhyme or reason, my alarm will go off on it's own after I've used the key-fob to lock the doors manually. Some times it takes 5 mins before it goes off for no reason, other times 15 or so. Is there something I'm missing here? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for your input.
I have the same problem too. I have the Sonata Limited w/Nav. I posted the same problem in other forum(MyHyundaiForums.com) and it seems to be a rubber part under the hood makes the alarm as it is smaller in size. The recommendation I got is to go to the dealer and Install a different part 92736-3A000.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I think we may have the mystery solved and it *was* human error after all. However, it wasn't due to me pushing any buttons; I'd forgotten to take the second key out of the glove box. I threw it in there along with all the other manuals and docs the night I got the car. I could have *sworn* I'd taken it out but apparently not. Oh well. Thanks anyway for all the input.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Rhodium @ May 6 2010, 03:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320342
I have the same problem too. I have the Sonata Limited w/Nav. I posted the same problem in other forum(MyHyundaiForums.com) and it seems to be a rubber part under the hood makes the alarm as it is smaller in size. The recommendation I got is to go to the dealer and Install a different part 92736-3A000.
Yes the Trunk and the Engine, and of course the Doors will trigger the Alarm if disturbed. There just is no sensitivity settings like the old alarms.

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 6 2010, 03:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320290
Sensitivity towards what? These aren't the Alarms of the 90's that spoke to you in Spanish or English if you got to near the Car. Nor does

it have a motion sensor, or a Microphone that those $99 Alarms featured. It is most likely the Button somehow being pressed by the user.
Shock sensor. All alarms have them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having same issue with alarm. Both key fobs are not touching anything and the alarm goes off. Also have an intermittent problem. Normally, when you lock the door with the fob, the horn and lights flash once. Other times, it just locks the doors without any horn or lights going off. Just picked up the car last week and loving it. Was delivered with 44lbs of air in all tires and rode hard......now it's down to 33lbs and the ride is somewhat softer. Only 500 miles so far but will take it into dealer for the alarm. I'm sure the neighbors aren't too happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having same issue with alarm. Both key fobs are not touching anything and the alarm goes off. Also have an intermittent problem. Normally, when you lock the door with the fob, the horn and lights flash once. Other times, it just locks the doors without any horn or lights going off. Just picked up the car last week and loving it. Was delivered with 44lbs of air in all tires and rode hard......now it's down to 33lbs and the ride is somewhat softer. Only 500 miles so far but will take it into dealer for the alarm. I'm sure the neighbors aren't too happy.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 6 2010, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320424
Shock sensor. All alarms have them.
Well what is your definition of Shock? In LA we had a quake, and all the Cars actually moved and most with alarms went off.

The Sonata does not have a Motion part of the Alarm. Sure if someone rips open your Trunk or Engine those switches will trigger the Alarm!

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 6 2010, 10:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320444
Well what is your definition of Shock? In LA we had a quake, and all the Cars actually moved and most with alarms went off.

The Sonata does not have a Motion part of the Alarm. Sure if someone rips open your Trunk or Engine those switches will trigger the Alarm!
when I say shock sensor I mean vibration that your car feels when it gets tap/hit or earthquake vibration. Trunk and Engine doors uses some kind of pin switch to trigger the alarm. Motion and glass break sensors are different from shock sensor.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 6 2010, 08:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320448
when I say shock sensor I mean vibration that your car feels when it gets tap/hit or earthquake vibration. Trunk and Engine doors uses some kind of pin switch to trigger the alarm. Motion and glass break sensors are different from shock sensor.
I don't know. Next time you are near the Sonata, give it a good 'thwack'. I don't want you to punch it, but do the Shock Test and bounce

the crap out of it. I would be surprised if you hear any Alarms. We don't have that type of alarm. Now if they did change your spec's for the

2011, then I apologize in advance. The only part of the Alarm that is truly advanced, is that Red Led that blinks 24/7! :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue where I lock my car and walk inside the house and then the alarm goes off. At first, I suspected that I was accidentally depressing the alarm button on the remote, but I have set both remotes on the table with nothing touching them and the alarm still goes off. This only happens within the first minute that I lock the car and come inside. There must be an issue with the alarm system on the car. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,
Asenna

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with mine. The answer really was as simple as Rhodium said.

Apparently we don't have true "alarms", meaning shock sensors and etc. What we do have is a system that will activate the "Panic" function should your door, trunk, or hood be opened after you have locked your car. This is done by having a switch on each object that is pushed down when said object is closed. (basically that same switch that makes your car "ding!" when the driver door is left open)

According to my dealer, Hyundai shipped some Sonata's with a rubber piece that was a tad too short for the hood switch, thereby causing it to not make full contact when the hood was closed. The contact being made was so inconsistant, that the slightest movement would cause the system to think the hood had been opened and therefore sound the alarm. Mine was so sensitive that a strong gust of wind would be enough to lift the hood up off the switch just enough to set it off. Loud mufflers were also causing enough vibrations to trigger the hood off the switch and activating the alarm.

Needless to say, this was driving me crazy! I would be hundreds of feet away at work in a concrete building and the car still managed to go off, thereby eliminating the "accidental push of a button" theory. Also, I noticed the car would not chirp everytime I locked the car.

10 minutes at the dealer and all my issues were solved. My service manager popped off the shorty piece and came back with a slightly longer rubber pad. I didn't get the part number but Rhodium seems to have the info up above.

Hope this helps!

(FYI, the hood switch is on the left side as you're facing the car)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this same issue. Stopped by the dealor on my lunch break. Took about 15min and I was on my way.

QUOTE (Eddie83 @ May 12 2010, 04:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322025
I had the same issue with mine. The answer really was as simple as Rhodium said.

Apparently we don't have true "alarms", meaning shock sensors and etc. What we do have is a system that will activate the "Panic" function should your door, trunk, or hood be opened after you have locked your car. This is done by having a switch on each object that is pushed down when said object is closed. (basically that same switch that makes your car "ding!" when the driver door is left open)

According to my dealer, Hyundai shipped some Sonata's with a rubber piece that was a tad too short for the hood switch, thereby causing it to not make full contact when the hood was closed. The contact being made was so inconsistant, that the slightest movement would cause the system to think the hood had been opened and therefore sound the alarm. Mine was so sensitive that a strong gust of wind would be enough to lift the hood up off the switch just enough to set it off. Loud mufflers were also causing enough vibrations to trigger the hood off the switch and activating the alarm.

Needless to say, this was driving me crazy! I would be hundreds of feet away at work in a concrete building and the car still managed to go off, thereby eliminating the "accidental push of a button" theory. Also, I noticed the car would not chirp everytime I locked the car.

10 minutes at the dealer and all my issues were solved. My service manager popped off the shorty piece and came back with a slightly longer rubber pad. I didn't get the part number but Rhodium seems to have the info up above.

Hope this helps!

(FYI, the hood switch is on the left side as you're facing the car)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had the same thing happen to mine and I believe it was for the same reason-accidentally pushing against the button. Also, during a thunderstorm and lightning, my turnk opened by itself. Good thing I looked outside and saw it. Also, the remote part gets unattached if you lean against something and press the little silver button. It separates way too easily-have to come up wiht a plan to hold it together better than that.I dropped it once in the airport bathroom and since the floor is tile, it made enough noise to notice it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well is good to know u guys find a solutions, is been driving me crazy I know is doing that by itself because i put the keys on my desk in purpose after I lock the car, sometimes goes off, i will try the solutions at the dealer, if somebody got a part no. i will be thankful about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts