Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got my 2013 Santa Fe sport 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed while detailing it I have lots of rust dots on the chrome trim around the windows. I googled it and found out about rail dust. So I wanted to ask is clay bar the best for removing it from the chrome trim? What about CarPro Iron X Iron Remover? Should I try the clay bar first and it that does not work then try the Carp Iron X? How did you guys remove rail dust? This is the first car I have bought with this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Clay bar works well on rail dust for me

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No luck with the clay bar. I called the dealer and they are going to replace all the trim. I don't think the clay bar works on chrome that well.

·
Registered
918 Posts
They don't need to replace...they could probably use some softer rubbing compound with a NEW microfiber cloth. That works, too, unless the dust has already eaten away at the trim.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Surprised the bar didnt work? What type of bar did you use? did you spray enough "quick detailer" on the surface prior to using bar? just want to be sure you used it correctly, thx. I've used the clay bar on other surfaces before with success, that being said i havent used on chrome trim; mine were fine. I did see some rail dust spots on the paint though, have since been removed. Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you when they replace tirm. Have a look here for some info http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/washing-drying-claying/34523-rail-dust.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used meguiars clay bar kit. Used tons of the detailing spray. I went over areas a few times. It did get about 20% off. I think I will try the Carpro X iron before I let the dealer rip off the trim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts