Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with the stock radio resetting itself after turning off the car.

Just recently had to replace the battery which was not an issue. After the new battery was installed I set the clock, cabin temp, and radio stations. Came back to the car later, turned it on and noticed the radio was off. Hit the power button and it came on with the default stations, volume settings, etc. This happens every time the car is turned off and left for more than a few minutes. :confused: What's odd the clock and temperature controls DO keep their settings. It's only the radio that's the problem and resets back to it's defaults.

Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
It will more clear, if you could mention the model & year of vehicle
Regardless of the year and model, there likely are TWO fuses for the radio. One for the normal operation and another to keep the back up memory alive while the car is shut off. That second fuse may have popped when you reconnected the battery.

OR...if the fuse is good, pull it out for a few minutes.....with the radio OFF.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Regardless of the year and model, there likely are TWO fuses for the radio. One for the normal operation and another to keep the back up memory alive while the car is shut off. That second fuse may have popped when you reconnected the battery.

I asked model due to a reason. Commonly Diesel models, consume more battery power when the engine starts. In that event, if the battery is weak or battery terminals are loose, as starter motor take whole power instantly, radio loss its backup memory. Same could also happen even shut off the engine due to vibration on wobble terminals. So I think, vehicle model has a point rather commenting out of the blue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Checked the two fuses audio 1 (15A) and audio 2 (10A), both were still good. So I pulled the 10A fuse out again and waited for a few minutes then put it back in. The problem still persists.... And now the CD that was in the unit is stuck either (will not eject).

Dealer said they do diagnose the radios, they just send them back and replace the unit. Minimum will be $150 to look at it, more than $300 to replace. Service advisor actually suggest that I get an aftermarket unit because it would be better priced or better quality for the same cost at Hyundai.

So I have a radio that has to be set whenever the car is shut off and the CD player is unusable.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
So I pulled the 10A fuse out again and waited for a few minutes then put it back in. The problem still persists.... And now the CD that was in the unit is stuck either (will not eject).
Pull them BOTH and leave out overnight.
Turn the radio OFF first and have both fuses back in before turning it ON again.

Before doing that, visit an audio shop to help get the CD out.

And in the future, don't leave a CD in there when it is not playing.
Under some circumstances the heat can damage the CD.

The comment about the battery voltage going low is interesting but I would think that there would be other clues if that were the case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull them BOTH and leave out overnight.
Turn the radio OFF first and have both fuses back in before turning it ON again.

Before doing that, visit an audio shop to help get the CD out.

And in the future, don't leave a CD in there when it is not playing.
Under some circumstances the heat can damage the CD.

The comment about the battery voltage going low is interesting but I would think that there would be other clues if that were the case.
Yeah... looks like I'll have to take it into an audio shop. They may know what is causing the problem too. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
There are TWO power wires that serve the radio. One is hot only with the ignition (through the 'Audio #2' fuse), but the other is supposed to be hot full time as the 'keep alive' for the radio. This power is supplied through the 'Audio #1' fuse. The only ways that one can imagine that this error occurs:

The wire/connection between the Audio #1 fuse and the radio is no longer intact.
A glitch in power is occurring when the engine is shut down that, for some reason, is at least temporarily dropping power to the 'Audio #1' fuse.
The radio is no longer capable of making use of the power being supplied on this power line to retain its settings.

I'd want to take a VERY long look at the power at 'Audio #1' and to the back of the radio (the 16 pin connector M45B, pin 1) that this power line feeds to see if power is being interrupted at ANY time ... including during STARTING of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Electronic problem after Replace new radio

After replace new radio to my hyundai Getz 2007 auto, I have a problem start. Time & radio used to reset every time & sometime remote key doesn't work & car doesn't start. What is the reason?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bumping this thread as well - my 2011 Santa Fe Ltd started having this issue a couple months ago. The unit still remembers the stations I programmed in when I first got the vehicle in 2011, but won't remember any new stations. (I reprogram it almost every time I'm in the car, and as soon as you turn the engine off, even for 5 minutes, it reverts back to what was saved years ago)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Bumping this thread as well - my 2011 Santa Fe Ltd started having this issue a couple months ago. The unit still remembers the stations I programmed in when I first got the vehicle in 2011, but won't remember any new stations. (I reprogram it almost every time I'm in the car, and as soon as you turn the engine off, even for 5 minutes, it reverts back to what was saved years ago)
That one sounds like a purely radio issue. If in any way power related, it wouldn't remember either old or new. I assume you're holding the button down long enough to get the 'beep' when programming?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes I'm holding it down until I get the beep - and can jump back and forth between stations. It also remembers the XM channels I programmed in it years ago but we don't subscribe to XM anymore.

I don't see any blown fuses either so it's sounding like a radio thing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
So thanks for all your comments above - sort of help me diagnose the same issue that i had - The Head unit in my 2008 Santa fe would lose pre set radio stations after it had been turned off for over 10 minutes.
Turns out it was the head unit. Seems it must be a common fault for this radio. I visited my local wreckers and bought a replacement for $125. HAs fixed problem and works mint. Was an easy swap out too - only took me 15 minutes.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts