Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have standard Sonata SE (no nav package) and i have noticed today that my audio / radio display is kind of hard to read suddenly. Do i have some hidden settings for adjusting brightness on the audio display? I went in to the audio head setup but couldn't find anything to adjust LCD brightness, but maybe i'm missing something...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ula: Check to see if your headlights are on, With the Headlights on the radio and dash lights dim into night mode sometimes making it difficult to see on a bright day.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (JohnMD @ May 25 2010, 03:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326250
Ula: Check to see if your headlights are on, With the Headlights on the radio and dash lights dim into night mode sometimes making it difficult to see on a bright day.
No, i know what you talking about, but no headlights are off...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I noticed the same thing too. I've only had my car for 2 weeks but noticed that from the beginning. It seems like it would be more of a contrast setting rather than a brightness setting. At least on mine it does. Adjusting the brightness levels does just that, makes it brighter or dimmer, but not easier to read. I was poking around looking for some kind of contrast setting but couldn't find any.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen this too and I think it has something to do with heat. I usually keep my car in the garage but last week I ended up keeping it in the driveway. The next afternoon, it was in the 90s and the display was noticeably faded.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Mikefg830 @ May 26 2010, 12:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326412
I've seen this too and I think it has something to do with heat. I usually keep my car in the garage but last week I ended up keeping it in the driveway. The next afternoon, it was in the 90s and the display was noticeably faded.
You maybe on something. We are experiencing heat wave here and my car is parked on driveway as well...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I`ve had the same problem,the dealership changed mine out with a new unit after they compared it to another car.
But i dont see any difference.I agree with the heat theory.When i get off work here in Tx. the temp. is around 90*
and the face of the unit is very dim.After the car sits in the garage and is out of the sun it looks better.I bet its is
bolder in the morning.I think the face of the unit is weak anytime.Another one of the issues that you stated has room for
improvement,to make this car stand above the others.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't had a problem with my radio, but I did have a problem with my clock. The display would fade out and all parts of the digits would not show up. This could be corrected by pushing the hour and minute buttons repeatedly and everything would go back to normal. It did seem like it only happened when the inside of my car got hot. The dealership ordered and installed a new clock for me and I haven't had any problems with it since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (ula @ May 26 2010, 07:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326456
You maybe on something. We are experiencing heat wave here and my car is parked on driveway as well...

I'm having the SAME issue...had my SE (with the base radio) for two weeks. The car is outside all the time. I live in an apartment and park it at the bus stop to go to work. So its in the sun, and its been very hot here in Charlotte the last few days and sure enough I noticed the radio display was significantly faded yesterday when i got home from work, today its still the same if not worse.

I called the service department of my dealer and they hadn't heard of anything similar. But i emailed the sales person i dealt with asking if hes heard anything.

Waiting to hear back... but at least i know I'm not crazy.

Ill post up if i get any real response.

·
1,914 Posts
I had this problem with my radio last year in my Santa Fe when it was really hot. The blue light in the back ground lit up, but not the stations. Eventually, they showed up. They replaced my radio and then 2 weeks later a cd got stuck in the replacement. I'd get it looked at.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same thing with my Sonata SE, heat related. Been in the 90's everyday for the past two weeks here in NOLA and when the car is left in the sun for more than 2 hours I get the same thing. 2011 Sonata SE Std. radio. If things don't improve by next week I'm taking it in because the GLS's have the same radio and I test drive those with customers every day with no problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The past week I was in Florida and this week it has been fairly warm here in North Carolina. I am seeing the same issue with my radio. I suspect an expensive TSB is on the horizon for Hyundai.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it is heat related problem - tested and proved already. It looks like someone didn't check spec for LCD display...I wonder if i should wait with replacement because if i will get the "new" unit, i think i still may have the same problem...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Are you folks seeing the same thing with the info center LCD in the gauge cluster?

·
1,914 Posts
Unfortunetly when I had the problem in my santa fe, the problem got worse pretty quickly. When I had the radio replaced the first time, they told me the replacement radios that hyundai uses are complete junk and are not brand new. I don't know if there is much truth to that, but like I said a cd did get stuck in the first replacement. I have had the second replacement for about 6 months now and no problems, yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Mikefg830 @ May 26 2010, 01:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326412
I noticed this issue for the 1st time today on my GLS in 90 degree heat. My display has been bright since I picked up car 2 weeks ago.

My car is parked in the street, no garage.

Bob

The LCD was fine this morning - maybe the cooler weather overnight helped?

I parked it today under some shade - hope it helps.

Bob

1 - 20 of 76 Posts