Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

sorry for my ingnoreance if I'm asking newbie questions, but I'm at loss. I bought a new Accent GL base model, and it has no radio in it. I'm quite handy in general, but I know nothing about car radios.

1. Is it true that all common car stereos are compatible with my car? It is impossible to find compatibilty information for 2011 Accent. Besides it is very suspicious that e.g. on BestBuy's website, if I say I have a 2010 Accent, it says that 95% of the stereos are not compatible with my vehicle. It is hard to believe.

2. If I buy a radio, it seems unlikely that I can just plug it into the harness that is in the car. I really don't want to cut wires, especially because there are no wiring diagrams available for this new model year. Is it possible to buy a converter? Which one should I get?

3. Do I need a dash kit and if yes, which one?

I really don't care about great music quality or volume. I just want to be able to listen to the news in the morning, and yes, sometimes music, but the car definitely wouldn't be my #1 music listening place.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (tarbasd @ Aug 28 2010, 09:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352514
Hi,

sorry for my ingnoreance if I'm asking newbie questions, but I'm at loss. I bought a new Accent GL base model, and it has no radio in it. I'm quite handy in general, but I know nothing about car radios.

1. Is it true that all common car stereos are compatible with my car? It is impossible to find compatibilty information for 2011 Accent. Besides it is very suspicious that e.g. on BestBuy's website, if I say I have a 2010 Accent, it says that 95% of the stereos are not compatible with my vehicle. It is hard to believe.

2. If I buy a radio, it seems unlikely that I can just plug it into the harness that is in the car. I really don't want to cut wires, especially because there are no wiring diagrams available for this new model year. Is it possible to buy a converter? Which one should I get?

I really don't care about great music quality or volume. I just want to be able to listen to the news in the morning, and yes, sometimes music, but the car definitely wouldn't be my #1 music listening place.

Thanks,
1: The accent can fit almost any single or double din radio. Bestbuy probably isn't the most accurate website. Try Crutchfield.com.

2:Only the OEM radio can plug directly into the car's harness. You can, however, buy an adaptor harness from Metra or Bestkits. You then splice the radio's harness to the adaptor harness following the color code provided. The rest is simply plug and play.

3: You don't need a dash kit but it makes for a nicer install. I installed mine without a kit. The opening is slightly wider than my radio so there's a gap on each side. Again, Metra sells a dash kit which according to the people on here is the best.

You might need a special antenna adaptor but I'm not 100% positive on that. Mine didn't need one but for some reason Canadian Accents do not share the same radio wiring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
www.crutchfield.com

select make and model of your car and browse the radios that they have. I have always ordered my radios from crutchfield. Bonus is if you spend I think 149 or more they give you everything you need for the install minus the wire connectors (radio shack 2.99 or less for a pack)

The do not give a very good dash kit (spectra one) but hey its free and looks decent just not as good as the metra one..

I put in a Kenwood KDC-X994 in my Accent and it looks pretty nice to me..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I third the crutchfield vote. They did say a double DIN radio wouldn't fit my 07 (on the website at least) but it does. And the wiring and instructions they give are better than anyone else's. They also have free call in support for installs and know what they are talking about. They are a little more expensive (no worse than retail, and probably not worse than the oxymoron "BestBuy") but worth it for the support they'll provide you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Crutchfield today. Unfortunately they don't know yet if the wiring of the 2011 the same as the 2010. The CSR said he thinks it is probably the same, but we shouldn't take the risk, so I'm calling again in 3 weeks. He was very knowledgeable - I'm pretty sure I'll buy there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
QUOTE (tarbasd @ Aug 28 2010, 08:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352514
Hi,

Thanks,
Are you sure you have a 2011? They don't list the 2011 on the website yet and I haven't seen a single one at any local dealership.

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
If I had to put money on it, I'd say that they are the same as the '08-'10.  But it's good to not chance it.  :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (tarbasd @ Sep 2 2010, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353797
I called Crutchfield today. Unfortunately they don't know yet if the wiring of the 2011 the same as the 2010. The CSR said he thinks it is probably the same, but we shouldn't take the risk, so I'm calling again in 3 weeks. He was very knowledgeable - I'm pretty sure I'll buy there.
They are exactly the same according to HMAservice.com. It comes from Hyundai itself so it's accurate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Sep 2 2010, 09:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353934
They are exactly the same according to HMAservice.com. It comes from Hyundai itself so it's accurate.
I have just checked, too. Does the fact that the same part number is specified for the radio (PA710) imply that they are the same? Or you could have a different part with the same part number if you specify different year. I'm not sure how this works.

And yeah, it IS a 2011. Isn't that cool? :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed my radio yesterday and it works like charm. Crutchfield was good advice, amazing customer service. Indeed the car setup is the same as the 2010 Accent.

My wife used to tease my car (she drives a fully loaded Corolla), but now she is jealous of my radio.

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
Good deal!  Glad it all went smoothly. :thumbsup:

So now you're going to be stuck driving a Corolla? Or will you be giving hers a radio upgrade? :grin: lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Sep 18 2010, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357142
Good deal!  Glad it all went smoothly. :thumbsup:

So now you're going to be stuck driving a Corolla? Or will you be giving hers a radio upgrade? :grin: lol
Probably neither. I still don't think she will be willing to drive my car, and why would I upgrade her radio? What did she do to deserve it? LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts