Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 SF LTD seems to have a radio display issue. Or, I am just losing more of my eyesight. It appears to me the display has "lost" its brightness in daylight hours. If I am driving, I can no longer see what station I am listening to, or what is being played (XM) as the backlight seems to have disappeared. I just had the radio replaced and the issue remains. Is it my poor eyesight, or could there be an electrical problem? I thought it might be a fuse problem or a backlight in the radio. Service representative does not think it's a backlight issue. Any others experience this? Really, the question is, can you all see the radio display throughout the daylight hours, at all times? I have no problems reading the climate control panel, clock, or odometer. Any and all help/response is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (lildoc @ Jun 10 2010, 09:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331617
My 2009 SF LTD seems to have a radio display issue. Or, I am just losing more of my eyesight. It appears to me the display has "lost" its brightness in daylight hours. If I am driving, I can no longer see what station I am listening to, or what is being played (XM) as the backlight seems to have disappeared. I just had the radio replaced and the issue remains. Is it my poor eyesight, or could there be an electrical problem? I thought it might be a fuse problem or a backlight in the radio. Service representative does not think it's a backlight issue. Any others experience this? Really, the question is, can you all see the radio display throughout the daylight hours, at all times? I have no problems reading the climate control panel, clock, or odometer. Any and all help/response is appreciated.
My wife had the same complaint. She thought she had discovered an undocumented feature when the battery saver relay turned the headlights off after she parked the car.
No, this is not the beginning of a BLONDE joke.

Turn the headlight switch to OFF and see what happens. I think your dimmed display will become legible miraculously.
--Frank

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my 2010, I haven't had a problem with reading it, but my wife has had trouble reading it in bright daylight from the front passenger seat. At the same time, I could see it fine. the screen is angled toward the driver, so I think that was the reason.

·
1,914 Posts
It's a problem with all of hyundai's newer radios, check the Sonata forum. Sometimes it leads to a bigger problem if you live in heat prone areas. When we had a heatwave last year, the numbers took awhile to show but the backlight was lit. It's a problem with the radios and mine was replaced under warranty which was defective and then replaced again.

I've also noticed this problem on the new Tucson.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have an '09 SF w/navigation. You can override the auto brightness and increase the lighting. I don't know if this holds true with out navigation.
Also its hard to read lcd screens if you are wearing polarized sun glasses. I sometimes forget I have them on and can't read the radio screen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frank, thanks for the tip. I actually tried your suggestion before having the radio replaced. It did not solve the problem, but, upon your suggestion, I tried it with the new radio. Again, no dice. I took the vehicle in yesterday to demonstrate to my service rep what was happening. Compared it to another vehicle. Appeared to have the same illumination. Thus, I must be getting worse, regarding my eyesight ( :thumbsup: ). I believe the problem is as stated by HyundaiLvr87. Heat prone areas. We are hitting temperatures of 100 F, and it is probably the cause. No sunglasses are being worn. Bnelsonr, how did you override the brightness? I have to qualify my statement, one can see the radio but it is not clear, when driving in certain angles to the sun. No, there is no direct light on the sun, just in certain aspects to the sun. Will see if it continues. Hate to have them replace essentially two good radios, but I do want to be able to see my radio. Thanks for all the help/advice.

·
Registered
283 Posts
QUOTE (lildoc @ Jun 11 2010, 08:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331983
Bnelsonr, how did you override the brightness?
You press the "Set up" button & then press the "Brightness" button. There you have a choice of Auto, Night, Day or manual setting.
At least that is how its done with the navigation unit.

Bruce

·
1,914 Posts
That feature is only available with the Nav unit and not the stock radio. I had my car in for something else and the radio display actually diseappeared which it hadn't been doing before. I had just pulled out of the parking lot and I turned around and showed the service manager who I'm friendly with. He said we will order you a new radio, 2 weeks later, a cd got stuck in the new radio. He told me the newer hyundai radios are junk and they replacements are even worse.

If you are having problems, I'm pretty sure the radio warranty is only 3 years/36k, so report it so it's on file.

Also, take a stroll on over to the 2011 Sonata forum and search for the topic "radio,radio"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts