Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 SFS, 2.4 with 7" radio (no nav). I am hoping this is just a fuse or some kind of reset, but right now my radio is dead. There is no sound, display, nor backup camera. Pressing any of the call or media buttons on the steering wheel does nothing. If I cycle the middle dash display to media, it just shows a spinning circle, presumably because it is not getting anything from the radio.

Climate control, thankfully, works, but there is no way to see what temp it is set to or what mode it is in. This is not a biggie as I usually leave it in Auto, which also works.

I did check the (15A) fuse labeled "MultiMedia" and it was not blown. Changed it anyway and no luck on the radio. I also tried resetting the radio with the reset button (next to CD slot). Again, no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? I will of course call the dealer but they are not open till tomorrow, and if it is a simple reset/fuse I hopefully won't need to.

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As an update I also found two other fuses that the owners manual indicated had something to do with the radio head unit, and they were also fine. One was the fuse labeled "MODULE 4" in the under dash fuse panel and the other was "B/UP LAMP" in the engine compartment fuse panel.

It doesn't look like any other fuses could relate to the radio so I am at a loss.

A couple of other data points: I just had a full service car wash so the inside was cleaned. I can't remember if the radio worked before the car wash, nor if it worked right after. I really don't think there is anything the car wash person could do to kill the radio but thought I'd mention it.

Right after the car wash my cell phone charger plugged into the right power outlet blew in a strange way: it didn't fully sever the fuse filament (or whatever that is called inside the fuse). Instead it acted like a flashed, switching on and off, I assumed due to heating up and losing connection, then cooling and making contact again. In any case changing that fuse fixed it and that power outlet still works fine. The left one works fine too.

Strangely if I plug my phone into the USB port directly it charges for a few seconds, then stops for a few seconds, and this cycle repeats over and over. I don't know if this is part of the problem or merely a symptom of the radio not working. But obviously it never did this before.

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I know it is covered under warranty, the car is only 3 months old. But I was really hoping it was just a simple fuse or reset. The closest dealer is about 45 minutes away (which is not the dealer where I bought the car--that one is 1.5 hours away).

Mike

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ugh. I had mine do something similar, ONCE. Started the vehicle, (mine has Nav), it "booted" up and then went all black and just sat there. No radio, nothing. Pushing the buttons did nothing either.

Shut car off. Waited a few seconds, turned it back on and all was well.

Figured it was a fluke.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an update I had scheduled my SFS for a service appointment this past Friday and they went through everything and could not bring my radio to life. At that point it was put back together and I was told a new head unit was being ordered and I should hear something by Wednesday of this week. I left the dealer with the radio still dead. The new head unit was to cost about $7,000.00! (Warranty item, of course.)

Yesterday (Monday) the dealer called and said one of the engineers at Hyundai wanted them to try a few things before swapping the head unit--that perhaps it was indeed a reset of some type. So they wanted the car back and said they would give me a loaner.

Today (Tuesday) I took my SFS and dropped it off. They gave me an '18 Genesis G80.... REALLY nice car.

Anyway I will update this thread after I hear back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final update (hopefully):

Got the car back today, Friday, exactly one week from the first time I brought it in.

They ended up having to replace the whole head unit, as the original was dead beyond resurrection. They worded it "Internal Fault." So far everything works fine, including Android Auto. The Radio ID is of course different so I had to change that with Sirius/XM and they waived the $15 fee. Blue Link works as well.

Interestingly, the radio software and firmware versions are newer (I got my '17 SFS in June of this year, and it was built a couple months prior). There seems to be a few additions to the firmware/software.

Old radio:
SW Ver: AN.USA.00000.V074.160616
FIRMWARE VER: AN.USA.216.160912.MICOM.D

New:
SW Ver: AN.USA.00000.V085.170717
FIRMWARE VER: AN.USA.258.170519.MICOM.D

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts

Got the car back today, Friday, exactly one week from the first time I brought it in.

They ended up having to replace the whole head unit, as the original was dead beyond resurrection. They worded it "Internal Fault." So far everything works fine, including Android Auto. The Radio ID is of course different so I had to change that with Sirius/XM and they waived the $15 fee. Blue Link works as well.

Interestingly, the radio software and firmware versions are newer (I got my '17 SFS in June of this year, and it was built a couple months prior). There seems to be a few additions to the firmware/software.

Old radio:

New:

Mike
When they replaced the radio, did they give you a different model head unit or was it just a new one of the same type?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
More than likely the same model. As with virtually all manufacturers, this is a re manufactured part not a new radio. Service Writers may inadvertently say or write that a "new" radio was installed, but that is not the case. Again...This is standard practice across the industry. The same may be done with various other electronic components within the vehicle. And no, demanding a new radio will not get you anywhere unless you have perhaps a history of multiple failures.

Now that said, a re manufactured parts may contain modifications or upgrades designed to avoid a repeat failure or to improve durability. There is no way to determine if any upgrades were installed. In most cases you do not get the same radio back. In some cases, if thee is no stock of your radio or other component some manufacturers have programs in place to rebuild your component and ship it back for your vehicle. This is a rare event, but I have seen it happen if there is a high demand or a shortage of cores to be repaired.

Now, for educational purposes only...The largest killer of radios and any electronic component is jump starting. I never use my vehicle to jump start another, nor will I have mine just started. If jump starting is a necessity be sure that everything that can be turned off is turned off. Follow the owner's manual instructions to the letter. Many vehicles today have remote jump start locations and using anything but those locations can cause bad things to happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was asking because (and I could be wrong) from what I've read the units without navigation don't have car play/ Android auto ( at least on the 2016 Tucson)

He stated in his first post that the unit didn't have navigation but on his last he spoke of having Android auto/car play functionality.

I have a failing head unit in my Tuscon, one without navigation. I already bought an OEM navigation head unit to replace it because I want the Android auto features, but if there is a chance it'll be replaced with different type of unit I may have taken in and handled under the warranty.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our 2017 SFS with the Premium package doesn't have nav but it does have Android Auto, and I'm assuming Car Play.

Also, AA will run stand alone on your phone. The problem is finding a decent location to put the phone.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I should amend my comment above to say that most manufacturer's including Hyundai use re manufactured units. It is possible to receive a truly new component if it is early in the life of a new design and there are no remans available or if a manufacturer only uses new components for a specific application for some reason. The cost of replacing as new generally drives the manufacturers to use remans when available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI - Sound just disappeared from all audio (radion, CD, satellite, telephone, GPS) on my 2013 Santa Fe

Tried disconnecting negative from battery for 15 minutes, tried hard reset with reset button alongside CD player, tried removing audio system fuses. Nothing worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2012 Sonata Hybrid first the radio went dead, next maybe because of cold weather and old battery it would not start the next day. I Charged battery after disconnecting "Bus" connection on inside fuse panel so the charger didn't have to deal with electronics. It is a "safe mode" charger with electronics so can't be hooked up backwards and checks for bad battery etc. So I Disconnected 1 1/2 in square connector in the fuse panel on the bottom left side of the dashboard, then charged the 12 volt battery inside the trunk. All came back to life, still will diagnose the 12v charging system next to see if there is an issue there. Hope this is helpful. Note: the 270 volt Lithium Polymer battery never lost charge.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Old radio:

New:

Mike
Tinmania, where were you able to locate display FIRMWARE VERSION: (USA.216.160912.MICOM.D), for your 2017 SanteFe? Was it located by toggling through the LCD Display Cluster (between tachometer and odometer?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tinmania, where were you able to locate display FIRMWARE VERSION: (USA.216.160912.MICOM.D), for your 2017 SanteFe? Was it located by toggling through the LCD Display Cluster (between tachometer and odometer?
I'm probably too late, and I no longer have my 2017 Santa Fe Sport (now have a 2019), but this information is in the radio settings, not the dash cluster display.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts