Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice about a crack in my radiator tank. I have a 1997 Lantra GL in Australia, and I got home yesterday afternoon to steam spurting out of a crack in the top of what seems to be the plastic radiator tank. I say 'seems' because I know very little about cars- my father was a mechanic, which usually results in 'here dad, fix it, i don't want to know'. now i am wishing i picked his brain a little more!
My partner is away for the weekend and I live out on a farm property 40 km from town, so I need to have a working car! I did a bit of research on the net into quick fixes, but some of them are pretty dodgy- like egg whites and pepper in the radiator. The best thing I could determine was an epoxy glue, so i tentatively drove to the service station 15 km away and got some 'permatex'. I put it on about an hour ago, and i'll leave it overnight i think to let it set.
So I have a few questions if anyone can help me out there...

how long will the glue hold it together? I have to pick my partner up from the airport 100km away on tuesday, but I am not super confident about the drive.
is there anything else i can do until i get it fixed?
how much will a replacement tank cost? i am not really cashed up at the moment- would a second hand tank work, or would that be a waste of time?
am I better off replacing the whole radiator?

it's all a bit of a concern, cause as i said i need my wheels... i hope my epoxy job will do the trick until i can get it replaced.
i hope you guys can help me out... feeling a bit stupid really, not knowing much about cars. maybe i should do a mechanics apprenticeship...

loo forward to your responses..

amber
x x x

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello Amber.

I'm hoping that your radiator repair will last until you have picked up your other half.

I do STRONGLY recommend that your replace the radiator AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I hope I have made myself clear :) .

If the engine is allowed to overheat and crack the head, there will be tears and heartache.

Spend the couple of hundred getting a NEW radiator and ensure you have the proper mix of coolant put in.

There are plenty of suppliers in Australia and on the net(eBay).

Trust me, around $200 and an after lunch fitting is much more fun than $1500+ and a week(or more) without wheels.

Cheers,

Andrew :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andrew,

got to the airport no worries... phew!

so far the epoxy is holding it's seal, but i have booked the car into a radiator shop on tuesday for a whole new radiator... apparently there isn't much point just getting a new tank. it's going to set me back $400, which is more than i expected, but like you said- better than $1500 and no wheels for a week!

thanks for your advice... was in a bit of a panic when i posted, but feeling better about the whole thing now.
this has been the catalyst for me to want to learn alot more about cars... i don't want to be the damsel in distress who gets shafted by a dodgy mechanic because i don't know enough.
the first thing i think i need is the workshop manual for the car- where is the best place to find one for cheap? ebay i guess..
my partner's dad is a retired mechanic, so i think it's about time i start taking some car maintenance lessons!

thanks again.

Amber
x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts