Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to drain my engine coolant and just took off my bottom guard and don't see a petcock to drain the radiator. A'm I just missing it or does this not have one. If yes, where is it located? I guess I could pull off the lower hose, but would rather just drain it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is a drain on the bottom....

Need a #3 Phillips driver about 6-8" long..

Look at the subframe rail below the radiator... see the roll stop mount at frame to trans case.... on the driver side of the mount on the frame rail, you will spy (3) holes in the frame,,,,, the forward most hole I think it is will allow you to pass the driver to the drain plug.. unscrew the plug.

the plug will set on the rail while draining...

NOTE -- There is a ruber ring on the plug, majority of time it will stick in the hole, sometimes it will stay with the plug, sometimes it will fall out....

MAKE SURE you know where the ring is,

After draining, install plug back to the radiator

Older plugs is red, newer is teal color.

If you have 2WD V6m you can get to the rear block drain plug with long extension and flex socket to get more coolant out.

Mix your new coolant in 5 gallon pail, I go 1 bottle coolant and a little over 3qt water,,, mix it up, add to cooling system

Attachments

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I found it. Every car I have owned has had a petcock and that was what I was looking for. Perhaps it's a better design this way. I had a mazda once that threw a belt at highway speeds and a part of the belt broke off my petcock and I spewed coolant all over the place. That was lots of fun limping into the nearest gas station.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found this post about draining the radiator through a petcock. Mine is like a red plug.
sbr711 mentioned that the plug will sit on the subframe(?) while draining... does it apply to the 4-cyl model too?
Is there any chance the plug will fall out and get flushed away by the flowing coolant when it's fully opened?
I was thinking of taking out that piece of subframe before trying the plug. Is that possible?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts