Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my wife's 2013 Sonata with the 2.4 engine.

Today I noticed a few drops under the car, front passenger side. Looking inside the hood, it seems it is coolant leak from the radiator drain plug.

There is the AC line there too, but the liquid is green.

Can't find the plug on-line and even then, I think it is going to snap off and leave me stranded.

So, is it fair to assume I need a new radiator?

I am going to call Hyundai tomorrow to see if they have the plug, but I think this is going to be a DIY no matter what.

By the way, tried the search and it is not working for me, so if this is a report, just give me the link and excuse me :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
A new drain plug should only be a few bucks. Try confirming part # 25318-3K100 will fit on your car. Could possibly be the gasket around the plug needs to be replaced.

I did a coolant drain and fill just last weekend on my 2.0T. The drain plug came off by hand. Theres low risk of it snapping or seizing unless it's very hard to take off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A new drain plug should only be a few bucks. Try confirming part # 25318-3K100 will fit on your car. Could possibly be the gasket around the plug needs to be replaced.

I did a coolant drain and fill just last weekend on my 2.0T. The drain plug came off by hand. Theres low risk of it snapping or seizing unless it's very hard to take off.
Thanks, that was actually very helpful.

The car is sitting mostly because of the hunker down rules here in CA. I had my wife drive it a bit today and seems like the leak is actually from above. It is not the radiator cap, but somewhere behind it and trickles down to the drain plug location. It almost feels it is from the top, where the support is mounted, but that doesn't make sense since it almost seems like it is higher than where the radiator ends.

At the end, I think I am going to order a new radiator.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Most radiators leak right at the top(or bottom) right where the plastic top is crimped over the metal part of the radiator body. Over the years age/heat/expansion cause the plastic to split.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered a Denso radiator and cap from rockauto and yesterday finally got around to installing it. It took longer than I thought. The hsguide site just says take the top radiator support off. Well, you have to remove the hood latch system for this. You can either remove the whole front bumper (I wasn't feeling this one), or juggle a few U sockets and reach to the bottom bolts on the latch through the bumper holes.
Also, it does not mention rechecking the ATF. I figured, some ATF was dripping out and some probably in the radiator. So rechecked it anyway since I had the bottom cover off.
So far, seems like I do not have any leaks, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
What I do with all radiators I install that have the plastic side tanks is to crimp them down just a little bit more with a vise grips. I've had brand new ones leak. And fixed leaky ones like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts