Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’ve been flushing my coolant from my 1.1L petrol Getz for the first time and I’ve noticed something weird. When I drained the old blue coolant out I got about 4 litres of coolant, then as I started flushing with water I was only able to put in about 2.5 litres.

The engine takes 5.5 litres but not matter what I do I can’t get the extra fluid in, I’ve tried raising the front of the car, squeezing the radiator hoses, leaving the car until the fan comes on 5 times, driving around for 30 minutes but no luck. I flushed about 4 times until the water became completely clear and decided to try putting new red coolant in but only got 2.5 litres in.

I’ve noticed the coolant level in the header tank dropping slightly through the day but I haven’t been able to bleed much more air out, does anyone have any suggestions??

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, when I turn the car on initially the thermostat registers cold (blue light) but the overheat light (red) has not come on while driving or leaving he car idle. I also took some coolant out and it doesn’t look like it mixed with any old blue coolant as it’s still completely red.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
How did you go about refilling the radiator?

After I drain and flush cooling system, I fill up radiator and start engine
When engine is warm and thermostat opens, I add more coolant
Sometimes rev engine to see coolant flow in radiator
Add more as necessary. Replace cap. Add coolant to overfill bottle to hot line.
Check in a few days when engine is cold.
Repeat process if necessary
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
When I fill I take one of the throttle body coolant hoses off to vent the system. But still never get what the full capacity should take. It takes a couple days of driving and heat cool cycles to purge all the air out of the system. If there are any leaks this will not happen. The radiator should be completely full when cold after a few days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi everyone,

I’ve been flushing my coolant from my 1.1L petrol Getz for the first time and I’ve noticed something weird. When I drained the old blue coolant out I got about 4 litres of coolant, then as I started flushing with water I was only able to put in about 2.5 litres.

The engine takes 5.5 litres but not matter what I do I can’t get the extra fluid in, I’ve tried raising the front of the car, squeezing the radiator hoses, leaving the car until the fan comes on 5 times, driving around for 30 minutes but no luck. I flushed about 4 times until the water became completely clear and decided to try putting new red coolant in but only got 2.5 litres in.

I’ve noticed the coolant level in the header tank dropping slightly through the day but I haven’t been able to bleed much more air out, does anyone have any suggestions??

Cheers in advance!
Do you turn the cabin heat on hot?

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Turning on the heat does nothing help purge the air on a modern car. It only makes the coolant take longer to reach operating temp.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Turning on the heat does nothing help purge the air on a modern car. It only makes the coolant take longer to reach operating temp.

This may well be a true statement for all Hyundai, but it is certainly not true for all "modern cars." Not all cars use air temperature blend doors to control temperature. Some climate controls use modulated heater coolant valves to control climate temperature. Some have more than one valve and more than one heater core. I have a couple of such cars. It is definitely required on those cars to set the heat to maximum (all zones) while filling and bleeding, otherwise there is no circulation to the heater cores and they will hold air and allow it into the engine cooling system later when the heat is used.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
This may well be a true statement for all Hyundai, but it is certainly not true for all "modern cars." Not all cars use air temperature blend doors to control temperature. Some climate controls use modulated heater coolant valves to control climate temperature. Some have more than one valve and more than one heater core. I have a couple of such cars. It is definitely required on those cars to set the heat to maximum (all zones) while filling and bleeding, otherwise there is no circulation to the heater cores and they will hold air and allow it into the engine cooling system later when the heat is used.
I don't know of any modern cars built in the last 20 years that have any kind of valve in the heater system to control the coolant. Most use what is called full flow circuit for the heater core to ensure constant flow of coolant.

·
Registered
882 Posts
don't mix the coolant. Sonatas are using ethylene glycol based green stuff, and I think Getz are the same. The rubber gasket parts are designed for green coolant, and if you put in DEX red coolant they gonna destory the rubber seal inside. When GM first introduced red coolant, they recalled the head gasket after a few years because they can't hold the red coolant

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know of any modern cars built in the last 20 years that have any kind of valve in the heater system to control the coolant. Most use what is called full flow circuit for the heater core to ensure constant flow of coolant.

Then you don't know about Jaguar or BMW or some Fords/Lincolns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts