Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
concerning a radiater drain and fill would it be better to remove lower radiater hose or the plastic drain plug? i am concerned about breaking the seal of the lower hose.also will getting any air out of the system be a problem?thx for any input.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
concerning a radiater drain and fill would it be better to remove lower radiater hose or the plastic drain plug? i am concerned about breaking the seal of the lower hose.also will getting any air out of the system be a problem?thx for any input.
easier to just unscrew the drain plug. Refill with premixed or mix your own. I try and do a dump every three years. Just run your heater on refilling to avoid air traps.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
"Coolant" is always going through the heater...no need to have it on. They use baffles in the vent ducts...it's been that way for decades now!

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
163 Posts
"Coolant" is always going through the heater...no need to have it on. They use baffles in the vent ducts...it's been that way for decades now!

Was that "they" meaning specifically Hyundai? Or was "they" meaning cars in general?

AFAIK, for Hyundai that is true. It is certainly not true for all car makes.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is no "heater control valve" on YF Sonata,, coolant for most part flow constant through heat core,, we just block aif low to it,, unless we want hot air

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Was that "they" meaning specifically Hyundai? Or was "they" meaning cars in general?

AFAIK, for Hyundai that is true. It is certainly not true for all car makes.
Maybe not all, but most vehicles do not have a heater control valve. Starting in the mid '70's. If you want one...you could put one in! :grin2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maybe not all, but most vehicles do not have a heater control valve. Starting in the mid '70's. If you want one...you could put one in! :grin2:

Well, I really can't dispute or confirm "most" but I can tell you that most Fords had cutoff valves up to at least the 90s. My 2001 Ranger has one. Granted, those did use blend doors to control the actual temperature. My LSes (more Jaguar than Lincoln) use coolant control valves to control the temperature. They have no air temperature blend doors. I know that Jaguar continued to use that system for several more years, but I don't know if the 2018s still do it that way or not. My BMW also did the same thing. A quick check shows that they still use a coolant control valve for temperature control. I don't really know about the other brands. The point being that using blend doors is definitely not the only way that it is done lately.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Either way will be fine, since there's still much coolant left in the engine. Remove radiator hose and thermostat, then refill with green stuff

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just pop the drain and be very thankful it’s got one. Those all but went away a Long time ago. As for hoses if you do decide to pull any ever remember this. They get heat locked on there solid in time. Take the hair dryer or heat gun to it before removing. Just heat right on the nipple area and they come right off. Do this especially if it’s cold out. On the small plastic nipples such as air lines it’ll keep you from breaking the nipple off once the hoses have aged and hardened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Either way will be fine, since there's still much coolant left in the engine. Remove radiator hose and thermostat, then refill with green stuff
Don't refill with plain green unless you want to change your coolant a lot more often. Use the OEM HOAT, or Zerex Asian, or equivalent HOAT.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't refill with plain green unless you want to change your coolant a lot more often. Use the OEM HOAT, or Zerex Asian, or equivalent HOAT.

Yea so true. It’s better but you can’t mix the stuff so unless your gonna water flush / drain a couple times better to stick to Asian. While you’re at it take a sharpie and note the date/mileage someplace under the hood that won’t wash off. Myself I use a yellow paint marker.
Gotta do my 13 this summer and my truck.....and whatever friends drag theirs by so long as the beer initiative holds out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
And if you are doing a drain and fill and not a flush, make sure you are filling with a 50/50 mix (premix or do it yourself). If you are flushing then fill with pure coolant 1/2 of the capacity from the manual and the rest with water. That will give you 50/50 mix since some water will remain in the engine from the flush, then you add 1/2 volume coolant, and when adding the rest of the water in until full you get 1/2 water as well :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
And if you are doing a drain and fill and not a flush, make sure you are filling with a 50/50 mix (premix or do it yourself). If you are flushing then fill with pure coolant 1/2 of the capacity from the manual and the rest with water. That will give you 50/50 mix since some water will remain in the engine from the flush, then you add 1/2 volume coolant, and when adding the rest of the water in until full you get 1/2 water as well :)

Highly recommend the water you use for flushing and filling be distilled water and NOT tap water (which has all kinds of minerals you don't want and can harm the metals in your system).

Reactions: forgeinaz
1 - 13 of 13 Posts