Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my Sonata SEL 2018 w/tech package on Saturday and I continue to receive Radar Blocked messages. Every time this message comes up I check the H logo on the grill to see if there is anything on it. The first time it had a few flakes of snow, which I was surprised caused an issue, but wiped them off. Today I received the message over and over on my first ride into work. Every time I checked the logo, I didn't see anything on it, but when I wiped it with my hand, felt some dirt, but not enough to even see it.

Is this normal? How sensitive is this thing to a few flakes of snow or dirt?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I bought my Sonata SEL 2018 w/tech package on Saturday and I continue to receive Radar Blocked messages. Every time this message comes up I check the H logo on the grill to see if there is anything on it. The first time it had a few flakes of snow, which I was surprised caused an issue, but wiped them off. Today I received the message over and over on my first ride into work. Every time I checked the logo, I didn't see anything on it, but when I wiped it with my hand, felt some dirt, but not enough to even see it.

Is this normal? How sensitive is this thing to a few flakes of snow or dirt?
Only time I have had it temp disable was when snow from the hood melted and then froze on the grille. Once I cleared that off no more prompts. Dirt and grime unless very thick shouldn't cause this. Granted snow storms I could see it disabling based on range issues.

I'd call your salesman or dealership.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here is how much snow/sleet/ice I had on my radar and it didn't trigger the error.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it wasn't normal. I'm concerned about trying to have it serviced, as it seems to happen randomly. If it doesn't happen when I bring it in, it will be a waste of a trip. Only a Kia dealer is close to me, but I don't think they service Hyundai there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You might give it a shot but if they cannot reproduce it, it will be consider as normal. Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe you should take a closeup picture of your radar and post it here for a reference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My sales guy had me talk to their head service guy. Service guy said they haven't had to service the radar in the logo system yet, so he isn't sure what options he has in the computer to service it, so it would be new for both of us (love hearing that). He asked me to wait till its dry out and see if it continues to be an issue. He said he had the same issue this morning in his Toyota Highlander on the way to work. He is figuring its just the dirt/mud coming up off the road interfering with the radar system.

I'll take pictures on the way home.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 2015 radar has worked great in the snow. The few times (less then 10 in 2 years in Utah snow.) it has shutoff was when ice/snow/slushy has built up to the point that when I got out of the car I took one quick look at it and went "yep, I wouldn't expect it to work with that much build up". Nothing close to what the OP is describing with "flakes of snow" shutting it off.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Salt and snow shouldn't interfere like that. My 2015 is fine in all elements, including 2 weeks of salt buildup since it wouldn't stop snowing long enough to get the car washed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've had issues with my 2015 with very heavy wet snow blocking the sensor. I think it's happened twice in the 3 years I've had the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, quick update. The radar system continues to shutdown the safety systems, sometimes 4-5 times on my 30 mile commute. I also noticed that when the radar system is working, its performance degrades, until it finally fails and shuts down the safety systems. Example, if I am using the Smart Cruise Control, it will start to not detect the vehicle in front of me until it's about to crash into it or sometimes not at all and I will have to slam on the brakes, to prevent the car from driving into the ahead vehicle.

Yesterday morning, at 7:50am, I brought it to the service center down the road from me (not the dealer I bought it from) and I explained that in a 30 mile ride the safety systems will experience multiple shutdowns and they took the car for the day. They called me at 1:42pm and said they drove it seven miles and it didn’t happen. I told them it can take longer than that to happen and he said because they are short staffed, they weren’t able to drive it much. He said they would take it back out on the road again. They called back at 3:23pm and said they weren’t able to take it back out and I should bring it in on a weekday when they can give it more time. I explained that I have pictures of the shutdown screens, if that is what they need, but he said it doesn’t matter what evidence I have. I asked if they did any diagnostics or calibrations of the radar and he said they don’t have any tools to do that. I asked him what they would do if it did happen to their driver and he said they would end up calling the Hyundai tech line, as they don’t have anything else they can do. He explained that there is nothing they can do with radar issues and he said the part would probably just be replaced, but they can’t do it unless their driver has the message happen to them. At this point, I picked up the car, drove the long way home and 15 miles into the drive the safety systems shutdown five times.

This morning I sent a detailed email to the management of the dealership I bought the car from and Hyundai themselves with pictures demanding they resolve this. Unfortunately the dealership I bought it from is about 35 miles from my house, so I want to make sure if I bring it to them someone will take ownership and resolve this.

I explained that besides for the frustration of this problem not being solved, this is a safety issue that is a life-threatening hazard, that could cause me and my family serious bodily harm or death. On the small end of it, the warning messages are highly distracting while driving, but clearly the larger issues are the safety features, such as the Automatic Emergency Braking and Forward Collision Warning systems are being disabled for no reason and the Smart Cruise Control without warning will start driving blind, potentially slamming into cars without emergency intervention. I am very fearful of having an accident because of these problem. On top of all this, I bought this specific car for these features, which are not working.

Any advice?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any advice?
Just some ideas.

Try to get contact information for the local/regional Hyundai service rep. I have met with a rep like that in the past to discuss an issue with a vehicle that I thought should be warranty covered (the rep agreed). Share the just the facts version included pics of what you have experience so far. If possible try to coordinate a time when the rep can do a ride along with you to experience the issue.

Report the issue to NHTSA and let Hyundai know that you have done so (including reference number or whatever).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update Hyundai reached out to me for more information and a case number. We shall see where that goes. I'm really hoping the purchasing dealership will contact me tomorrow with a proper plan to deal with this. As long as they can give me a loaner, they can drive the car across the country until it happens. :)

Just looking online, the part is about $500-$1000 that would need to be changed out, but the bumper would have to come off to remove the old and replace. I think the labor would be the largest piece to this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The First thing I would do (As a Tech) is (if there are no codes) to calibrate the radar an return it to you. Its a bit of a pain and you do need the special service tools

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is interesting you say that because I was told they can't calibrate it, by the people who "looked" at it over the weekend. Now this morning the dealership that sold it to me called nd said they will pick up my car from work today and calibrate it. Hopefully that is all it needs. What is involved with that process?

Also, last night I found another thread on here with someone with the exact issue I have and what happened to them:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-lwb-7-seater-models/587161-smart-cruise-disabled.html

·
Registered
932 Posts
I would arrange a time with the service department and then drive the car long enough for the problem to happen before you bring it to the dealer. With the system in failure mode they should have no excuses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer just picked up the car from my job and left me with a rental that they said they will charge Hyundai for. I was able to capture it as it happened on video twice this morning. I'm hoping it happens for them today, but they said they will be calibrating it regardless. Fingers crossed! The guy that picked it up said he has been working there 3 months and he already dealt with something like this. They had to change a gasket, due to condensation. I'm not sure if that applies here, as I don't believe the radar unit has any gaskets connecting it to anything.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the gasket the tech might be referring to is the gasket sealing the radar unit to the H logo. If thats the case, condensation could be building up on the inside of what should be a sealed container which could really upset the system. Remember, this system is of great importance to the functioning of a number of safety systems, so if conditions push it out of the specifications for its safe operation it will shut down. I won't get into the dynamics of radar propagation, but suffice to say condensation on the inside of the lens of the unit can be problematic.

Then again your radar unit could simply be failing.

Attached below is what it takes for my radar unit to shut down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts