Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't seem to have any luck on the highway when it comes to raccoons. This is the second time one of them jumped out in front of me on the highway!

This time the damage was much less sever and looks more like a pain in the butt. It cracked the passenger side fog light at both mounting points on the vehicle itself (not on the fog light mounting assembly).

Anyone familiar with what it's like under the bumper in that area and how difficult it would be to repair? I could go to Hyundai but I'm worried they'll charge an arm and a leg for something like this. I've attached pictures below to give some idea of what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Looks repairable, but if not, I seen single units on ebay.

The remaining raccoons must have an alert on you and your car.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yes, maybe just some J-B Weld with some hard or reinforced nylon plastic for strengthening the joint. I'm assuming the light itself is fine.

·
22,793 Posts
A distant Canadian cousin from the U.S. raccoon family that took out PropFlux01's front end in Arkansas last month? It's a nocturnal conspiracy!

Glad you're okay. The damage, although heart-breaking, doesn't really look too terrible. If the pics aren't fooling my eyes, it appears that the mounting tabs are broken away from the fog's housing?

I've never looked up under there, don't know how much access you have in "working space." It could be reattached using (as SpeedRacer said) J-B Weld. Again, it would require access inside there to remove the mounting brackets in order to connect them back to the housing. That would be the "least expensive" fix. Time consuming, but economical.

I'd try the least $$$ route, first. And if works? So much the better. And if it eventually breaks off? Well, I'd go with the replacement scenario.

Not to make light of the seriousness of this problem, but I have several Virginia cousins that would be reaching for the duct tape. Tough as it is, we still claim 'em as kin. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
168 Posts
A rabbit broke the drivers side fog mounting points on my bumper. I used duct tape on the back side of the bumper/brackets to hold the light in place. Works fine for me.

·
22,793 Posts
A rabbit broke the drivers side fog mounting points on my bumper. I used duct tape on the back side of the bumper/brackets to hold the light in place. Works fine for me.
^^^ "Left coast cousin!" :laughing:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
There's a couple options I would attempt. One is fabricate a metal bracket secured with screws and something like JB Weld. Other option is fiberglass. Wrap the complete area using a light/soft fiberglass cloth soaked in resin. Once dried, sand if needed and drill out the mounting holes. I've also used hard wires like paper clips to tie parts together. That of course is more tedious as you also need to drill small holes for the wire as they will be serving as staples, to be coated with epoxy.

·
22,793 Posts
I've also used hard wires like paper clips to tie parts together.
Careful, Curtis. Your inner "shade tree" mechanical skills are beginning to show thru your professional exterior. I just appalled that you don't think that bailing wire is sufficient enough to do the job correctly!

Somewhere in the South, there's a couple of good ol' boys shaking their heads in disbelief! :wink2:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Careful, Curtis. Your inner "shade tree" mechanical skills are beginning to show thru your professional exterior. I just appalled that you don't think that bailing wire is sufficient enough to do the job correctly!

Somewhere in the South, there's a couple of good ol' boys shaking their heads in disbelief! :wink2:
Rich, There's such a fine line between cheap and inventive. Mothers of invention amazes me, so I must be cheap.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Heh! Hello! This is your resident Raccoon Killer here! Seems we have something in common. While 'Baby' is now at the shop getting her front replaced, I have noticed your damage is pretty much the same as mine, as far as the fog light itself. The part you show in your pics (the 90* bracket) broke in the same way mine did. The screw holder on the far right mount on mine broke half way and I was able to use the other half to reset the screw. As for the two other brackets ( upper and left side), your gonna need some kind of adhesive similar to aviation fuel tank sealer. Body shops may have this, as well as some auto parts stores. I am not sure if JB weld would stick to the poly bumper portion. Also watch the drilling, mine looked as though if I used a drill it would just go right out the front of the bumper cover.

You can gain quite a bit of access to the fog light area by removing two of those plastic screw thingy's, then just pulling the flap down and back.

Seems you got lucky that your raccoons are not the corn-fed Jethro Bodine-looking ones we have here in Arkansastan. Good luck with the fix and please keep us advised on how it goes.

Tim

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Replace the fog with a GoPro and watch the YouTube views grow.

·
22,793 Posts
^^^^^ ROFLMAO!!!! Glad I had just swallowed my sip of coffee prior to reading this. Post of the Day! :trophy:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heh! Hello! This is your resident Raccoon Killer here! Seems we have something in common. While 'Baby' is now at the shop getting her front replaced, I have noticed your damage is pretty much the same as mine, as far as the fog light itself. The part you show in your pics (the 90* bracket) broke in the same way mine did. The screw holder on the far right mount on mine broke half way and I was able to use the other half to reset the screw. As for the two other brackets ( upper and left side), your gonna need some kind of adhesive similar to aviation fuel tank sealer. Body shops may have this, as well as some auto parts stores. I am not sure if JB weld would stick to the poly bumper portion. Also watch the drilling, mine looked as though if I used a drill it would just go right out the front of the bumper cover.

You can gain quite a bit of access to the fog light area by removing two of those plastic screw thingy's, then just pulling the flap down and back.

Seems you got lucky that your raccoons are not the corn-fed Jethro Bodine-looking ones we have here in Arkansastan. Good luck with the fix and please keep us advised on how it goes.

Tim
Sorry about the delay responding (work murdered me with overtime).

Ah, good to meet a fellow raccoon killer. I must say I was lucky with this one. The last one went right through the bumper and cracked the rad right open (this was going at 70 km/h or 44 mp/h). I was lucky it was -20 and the dead of winter because the car was bleeding coolant bad and wouldn't have made it the 200 km I had to go otherwise (at least according to Hyundai).

JB weld I was hoping was going to be my savior with this repair but aviation fuel tank sealer eh? So it's definitely a part of the bumper and not some separate bracket? I haven't taken the bumper off (and diagrams are strangely no where to be found online) so I have no clue what to expect once I get it off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A distant Canadian cousin from the U.S. raccoon family that took out PropFlux01's front end in Arkansas last month? It's a nocturnal conspiracy!

Glad you're okay. The damage, although heart-breaking, doesn't really look too terrible. If the pics aren't fooling my eyes, it appears that the mounting tabs are broken away from the fog's housing?

I've never looked up under there, don't know how much access you have in "working space." It could be reattached using (as SpeedRacer said) J-B Weld. Again, it would require access inside there to remove the mounting brackets in order to connect them back to the housing. That would be the "least expensive" fix. Time consuming, but economical.

I'd try the least $$$ route, first. And if works? So much the better. And if it eventually breaks off? Well, I'd go with the replacement scenario.

Not to make light of the seriousness of this problem, but I have several Virginia cousins that would be reaching for the duct tape. Tough as it is, we still claim 'em as kin. :rolleyes:
Exactly what I was thinking. If I can get this done without paying a repair shop fantastic...if not I can't imagine it would cost...too much...to do this kind of repair. Wouldn't go to Hyundai though because at least down here in Canada they charge an arm and a leg to do anything.

·
22,793 Posts
Guess what, Bender? Hyundai shops charge the same arm and leg here in the States, too. Common border, various cultures, same limbs.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Like those Kill markings found on jet fighters, Roadkill count decals might impress and intimidate.

·
22,793 Posts
Like those Kill markings found on jet fighters, Roadkill count decals might impress and intimidate.
Where on earth do you come up with this stuff? LMAO :laughing:

If I ever get back over to the islands, we are going to have to meet and throw a luau!

·
22,793 Posts
:) Could be worse. Imagine driving into this - Shot because it was eating too many cattle.
Might be able to make some great shoes out of that hide... ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts