Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Item in question: Shark Racing's standard strut bar ($92.00)

Shark Racing offers a total of 3 different strut bars for the 2011 sonata. And in my opinion the only two strut bars you should consider buying would be the standard strut bar (cheapest), or the solid strut bar (most expensive). The reason why I would leave out the deluxe bar is because of the construction of the bar. It has 2 points at the tower joint where the bar could shift during operation compared to the one joint on the standard bar.

I received my package in a timely manor, took about two weeks.
The package was in tact, there were no signs of damage. The strut bar was decently packed.

Just a standard Cardboard box..

Once again, nothing extremely fancy, just some packing foam wrap.

The bar exposed! To save space they fold over the black brackets over the aluminum bar. One thing I would like to suggest to shark racing during packaging they wrap up the bar unfolded, then fold it over to prevent scratching.

The aluminum welds were of great quality, and very clean. The brace plates are painted black and seemed to be stamped steel.

The only thing that does not sit well with me is small connection between the plates and the actual bar, it is kind of on the thin side as I am concerned if its strong enough for long term use.

The install was not all that difficult. I installed this strut bar with the car on the ground in its natural state. I don't see how its beneficial to lift the car up and install the strut bar, it actually goes against everything I have learned in automotive theory. Ill leave that for another post.

Install process:
Remove all 6 nuts on top of the strut towers.

Place strut bar correctly over the strut mount bolts, it can really only go on one way.

Snug up all 6 nuts, then go around again and tighten all 6 nuts.

Tighten the nuts located on each side that pinch the bracket holding the strut bar firmly in place.

Go around and double check that you fastened all nuts. (Double check your work!)

Install the Shark racing sticker at a location of your choice. (I left mine off)

Conclusion:

I was hesitant to get this item for my car, I have always been skeptical of strut bars actually providing a noticeable difference. It was only till I went though eight pages on another thread about how much of an improvement it provided for the ride quality of the car. Most posts on the other thread were from SE drivers, I have a limited (17" wheels with 215/55/17 tires @ 33PSI) This strut bar helped out with making the car feel more aggressive and agile while driving, at low or high speeds.

Improvements I have picked up on:

Less body roll.
Faster response and less "body dip" from the steering system under "quick maneuvers"
I am able to take on and off ramps at a Higher speed without having an uneasy feeling.
Just overall "stiffness" in the front suspension.

Things that bother me now:

After coming out of a sharp turn you can feel the rear of the car being "slouchy". I would assume doing a brace for the rear or a really nice think sway bar would resolve this. (shark racing - TAKE NOTE!)

I am very happy with the purchase I made, and can easily recommend this product to anyone with this car. For people wanting the best and have money to burn, I would say the next step would be to purchase the SOLID strut bar from Shark racing. Either way you cant lose...

EDIT: I was able to test out a solid bar for a week as a friend of mine owns the same car and has the solid bar. We swapped bars. Both of us were not able to tell the difference between the two, they both performed equally.

www.sharkracing.com

Note: I am not affiliated with Sharkracing.com in any way... except that I am a happy customer. :thumbsup:

Questions?, please ask!

Next Post: How I took the horn mod a step further than everyone else. In video format!

P.S. Sorry for the blurry photos, Only working with my camera phone!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just installed the same strut bar and I discerned no noticeable improvement in body roll. However ESC kicks in less (only on the really hairy maneuvers) which is nice. The bolt feels really half assed and looks like it's going to break at any time. Also like you said, re-doing rear sway is a must.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (dsx724 @ Nov 1 2010, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368164
I just installed the same strut bar and I discerned no noticeable improvement in body roll. However ESC kicks in less (only on the really hairy maneuvers) which is nice. The bolt feels really half assed and looks like it's going to break at any time. Also like you said, re-doing rear sway is a must.
The bolt is really there just to "pinch" the actual strut bar, but I agree, They could of included some nice grade 8 stuff.
I noticed an improvement in body roll, its slight, but its there. (i posted the perks in no actual order).

Hopefully they can release something that better than the stock SE rear sway bar that we can put on our cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts