Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 2013 Elantra GLS. Never really noticed any issues during rain or antyhing, but today I took it to a high pressure car wash. When I got out, my dead pedal (the foot rest one on the left side) had a few drips of water. When I reached in around where the big harness comes into the cabin (beside the white drain tube) I felt some wetness. So something is letting water get by.

Any ideas? Next time there's a heavy rain I'll take it for a drive and check again.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Do you have a sunroof?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Never really noticed any issues during rain or antyhing, but today I took it to a high pressure car wash.
Anything that happens ONLY in a high-pressure car wash should probably be ignored. There are a zillion cracks, crevices and seams through which water can be forced under pressure. About the only common problem you can actualy fix is to flush out your sunroof drain tubes, as Andrew was intimating by his question. Beyond that, if the leak doesn't occur under normal conditions (ie: driving in the rain), then it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a sunroof, and I did check for water ingression by opening it. There was a limited amount of water (we're talking drops) under where the gasket seats.

I pulled up part of the carpet, and nice and dry. Also felt around the headliner and areas that have come up while searching and all appear/feel dry. So Don, like you say, I also suspect the pressure just managed to push some water through a door gasket or something.

We're talking serious pressure coming from all angles. It's actually a pretty crazy car wash, lol. The nozzles spray at very high pressure and move side to side, and up and down to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers.

·
22,793 Posts
We're talking serious pressure coming from all angles. It's actually a pretty crazy car wash, lol. The nozzles spray at very high pressure and move side to side, and up and down to get into all the nooks and crannies.
I've been in a couple of these with other vehicles. And you're right. It gets "insane" inside there with the force those nozzles use to shoot the suds and rinse.

I do recall a video of Hyundai's "water seal test." They were attempting to emulate the normal water conditions that the car endures in bad weather. Not sure they had one of these car nozzles in mind when they set the test up.

Like Don said: normal conditions, it doesn't exist. I'd consider trying another car wash..."by hand!" Nothing beats a great hand wash. If you don't have a driveway, use the local wash bay. Fill up a bucket with water and soap. Use the remainder of the spray time to rinse the car. Suds it up, then toss in a few more quarters and rinse. Done. And it looks great. Throw the shampoo and sponges into the bucket. The bucket into the trunk for the next trip. Air dry while you drive. This is all nice and good in Spring/Summer/Fall, but winter time does make it tougher. ;)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've been in a couple of these with other vehicles. And you're right. It gets "insane" inside there with the force those nozzles use to shoot the suds and rinse.

I do recall a video of Hyundai's "water seal test." They were attempting to emulate the normal water conditions that the car endures in bad weather. Not sure they had one of these car nozzles in mind when they set the test up.

Like Don said: normal conditions, it doesn't exist. I'd consider trying another car wash..."by hand!" Nothing beats a great hand wash. If you don't have a driveway, use the local wash bay. Fill up a bucket with water and soap. Use the remainder of the spray time to rinse the car. Suds it up, then toss in a few more quarters and rinse. Done. And it looks great. Throw the shampoo and sponges into the bucket. The bucket into the trunk for the next trip. Air dry while you drive. This is all nice and good in Spring/Summer/Fall, but winter time does make it tougher. ;)
Wow Rich, didn't know anyone else used that trick. I hand wash my Elantra in the driveway now, but back when I had a Passat and lived in an apartment I used that car wash trick. I'd actually take the bucket and fill it with water from a rinse-bowl faucet that didn't cost anything, so I wouldn't even pay until it was actually time to rinse. So never used the crappy wash brush they provided, just my own soft mitt.

·
22,793 Posts
Wow Rich, didn't know anyone else used that trick.
Son, when it comes to providing for Ingrid, I'd walk 20 miles uphill, in the snow, both ways, bare-footed, to make sure she got the best. I had to do that as a kid when we were in grade school. :wink2:

Seriously, if she's noticeably dirty, I WILL find a way to get her all beautified, again. Even in 35-40 degree weather and if it only lasts a day. Rubber surgical gloves on my hands for protection from the cold water.

Ingrid and I are having a secret love affair. Shh, don't tell Ms. OkieRich there's a younger woman in my life. And she's HOT, too...thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Son, when it comes to providing for Ingrid, I'd walk 20 miles uphill, in the snow, both ways, bare-footed, to make sure she got the best. I had to do that as a kid when we were in grade school. :wink2:

Seriously, if she's noticeably dirty, I WILL find a way to get her all beautified, again. Even in 35-40 degree weather and if it only lasts a day. Rubber surgical gloves on my hands for protection from the cold water.

Ingrid and I are having a secret love affair. Shh, don't tell Ms. OkieRich there's a younger woman in my life. And she's HOT, too...thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread!
I'm with you, Rich. I hate to see even a thin layer of dust on mine - if there was some kind of electrostatic anti-dust and dirt shield thing I'd be the first on the block to buy one. One thing in my favor here is I can still give her a wash practically all year 'round since we're favored with milder winters down here :D.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Car Wash...

I have to start washing the Sonata like this. I even asked the guy who owns the car wash if he would mind if I did the hand wash routine. He replied with a "no problem, just do it when it is not busy" Great guy and a nice wash facility. I purchased all the AutoGlym stuff so I am ready! I even got me a clay bar kit! I just need OkieR to come show me how it's done… :D

I washed her yesterday… took it to the dealer for Brake Switch recall today and they washed her again. I forgot to tell them not to put the tire shine on it. Dang! It is the sticky really shiny kind.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm all for hand washing, I actually enjoy it. However, when it's just about freezing outside, I prefer the car wash, lol. Especially in the winter time. You wash it, drive for 2 mins and car is already coated in salt. Petro Canada has a car was season pass that's good for 90 days. You can use it once a day. And It's $169. Considering the super wash is $12 or something like that, after 15 washes in 90 days you are saving money. And I go almost daily, lol.

·
22,793 Posts
I purchased all the AutoGlym stuff so I am ready! I even got me a clay bar kit! I just need OkieR to come show me how it's done… :D
Well, let me say this, youngster: "2 outta 3 ain't bad." That'll get you into most professional sport Halls of Fame, but it ain't gonna get me over there to do that!

If anything gets clay barred and AutoGlymed by yours truly, it's going to be Ingrid! :wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts