Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 Sonata GLS. My previous vehicle had the same basic kind of pressurized struts on the hood and trunk that the Sonata has, but on that car, the trunk opened on its own once I got it started. On my Sonata, I have to open the trunk entirely by hand; the struts just keep it open.

Just to make sure I shouldn't get these struts replaced under warranty, are they supposed to open the trunk, or simply keep it from closing?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
They keep the trunk open. Since the trunk button can be operated at speed, I believe this is designed to prevent the trunk from opening and blocking the driver's view to the rear while moving.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They don't push it open, they just hold it open. It was a big change for me, my old cars the lid sprung up easily, but on the Sonata you have to lift up pretty hard, relatively. But I've gotten used to it.

I didn't know you could open the trunk at speed, on all my previous cars the trunk pop button is disabled when the car isn't in neutral or park.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's pretty bizarre if you can open the trunk while driving. (I don't feel like testing!) Seems like they should have designed it so you had to be in P or N to open it. (I'm also still not used to having no way to open the trunk other than using the button or having the key!)

·
Registered
445 Posts
It does require getting used to. I originally thought my struts were defective, but that is the way they function. It does take a bit of "elbow grease" to get the trunk lid open.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think one advantage to having struts hold the trunk open instead of the big springs to open it is that there is much more upper trunk room space. There are no large spring hinges that get in the way when you try to close the trunk.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the way my wife's 1999 Mercedes C230 trunk lid works. If you open it (however you open it, even by key remote), it automatically opens all the way up. It's ridiculously convenient. And there are no springs in the way anywhere. (Other than that, and its relatively impressive acceleration, I hate the car.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE (sonatarama @ Dec 11 2010, 01:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378798
I think one advantage to having struts hold the trunk open instead of the big springs to open it is that there is much more upper trunk room space. There are no large spring hinges that get in the way when you try to close the trunk.
Yes, using struts instead of the older style arms save space. But there is no reason the trunk can't open easier even with struts. They just designed it to be a very heavy trunk lid for some reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Trunk lid lifts' adjustment/replacement

QUOTE (sonatarama @ Dec 11 2010, 01:34 PM)

Yes, using struts instead of the older style arms save space. But there is no reason the trunk can't open easier even with struts. They just designed it to be a very heavy trunk lid for some reason.
I feel it is harder to lift the trunk lid in 2006 Sonata now than it was earlier. Spray lubrication of all trunk lid moving parts did not make lid opening easier. Open lid stays open just fine, manual lid lifting feels too heavy. Is there any adjustment or recharging of the trunk lid lifts available or if replacement of lid lifts could help?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just want to check something here to make sure I understand, since I was about to spend about $35 for new gas struts for the trunk of my 2006 Sonata GL Sedan.

You're all saying that, basically, the struts do not work well...by DESIGN! I know that if I do not lift my trunk past the 60° mark, it's very likely to come crashing down on my head or my hand. This is INTENTIONAL? It sounds like everyone has this problem with their trunk, but--and even, perhaps, MORE importantly--swapping the struts for brand new struts won't change the behavior of the trunk AT ALL.

Can someone (or more than one someone) please confirm this? I was hoping to actually FIX this problem (because it really IS a problem); but if there is no actual fix, I can save myself $35, and just increase my reps on bicep curls at the gym.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Just bought new trunk struts off ebay - Yes, around 30 each or so. I think the company is strongarm.

I can guarantee you that still my trunk does not open like my 06 Azera. I can lift the Azera lid with one finger and it continues to slide up smoothly. I cannot see the mechanism for the Azera because it is hiden under the plastic sleep, but I can tell you that the bran new struts didn't really do anything as far as making the lid seem lighter on my -06 Sonata

I am leaning towards the idea that it is just the way this trunk lid was designed.

It opens easily (as far as going up and down being that the strut is bran new), but still heavy.

You may want to try new hyundai struts - 80 a piece I think which is ridiculous in my opinion for that, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Old Russain saying: Perfection is the enemy of good enough. Ya gotta admire the ingenuity of this guy or maybe he never heard that saying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (sonatarama @ Dec 11 2010, 01:34 PM)

That is an understatement. It's as if they designed the lid to be very difficult to open--I'm doing a bicep curl just to get the lid up, which is ridiculous IMO.

My Buick was spring loaded so clicking the remote allow the lid to open automatically, which makes much more sense, especially if you have your hands full of stuff. OTOH, the Sonata trunk lid struts not only work against the lid opening but actually pull it closed. Makes no sense whatsoever. It's as if the struts are installed upside down.

It's one of 2 things I don't like about the used Sonata I just bought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
My 06 Sonata trunk stays open, but if I pull it slightly towards myself, it will come down with little to no resistance. Trunk slams pretty dang loud. If anyone had their fingers in there, they would be broken or severed.
I want to assume this is not normal, but from reading this thread, I cant be sure.

Should the struts provide resistance on the way down?

Thanks for your time and insight.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Trunk struts...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
My 06 Sonata trunk stays open, but if I pull it slightly towards myself, it will come down with little to no resistance. Trunk slams pretty dang loud. If anyone had their fingers in there, they would be broken or severed.
I want to assume this is not normal, but from reading this thread, I cant be sure.

Should the struts provide resistance on the way down?

Thanks for your time and insight.
Greetings, With my 2009 Sonata the struts hold the trunk up and give resistance when closing. It will hold itself even when partially closed. Although it would be nice if it opened itself when the switch pressed it is not really inconvenient.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts