Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: Click here to see how I relocated the Ipod to the storage area under the arm rest.

I can honestly say I am not a big fan of the ipod/usb port location on our cars. My brother has a 2010 and its located in the center console. In my opinion i think that's the best place for for a few reasons.

I was considering buying another ipod/usb port from the dealer and actually install a second one in the glove box. After looking at the hookups and realizing i was not in the mood to spend a few hours splitting all the wires I decided not to do this. All i really wanted to do was remove the clutter.

It got annoying to me to constantly have to plug and unplug the thing every time. It also resets the play count when you plug it back in as well which i hated, if you leave it plugged in and when you start the car, the deck starts back where it left off. It also got cluttered when i wanted to use my phone charge and leave the phone in small spot for the phone. My original location for the i pod was the small map pocket located on the passenger side of the car. Its still located there, but now there is no more wire clutter.

This mod took all of 5 minutes for me to do.

Here is a step by step with pics!

1. Remove plastic trim.

2. Take ipod cable and snake it through the opening, then run the cable as seen in the picture. you need to run the slack cable stright back then have it go under the storage compartment so when you put the plastic bezel piece back on it wont pinch it.

3. Before reinstalling the plastic piece removed in step 1, confirm the setup works, also confirm the storage compartment door moves free and clear, if it sticks a bit you just need to move the wire around a bit.
Then reinstall the plastic piece.

It makes defiantly makes it cleaner and remove clutter from the area.

Figured id share!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Clever and definately cleans up the center area.

Worth a +1 from me.

:thumbsup:

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
Not super custom yet easy and solves a problem, awesome!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a quick and simple fix is exactly what I was shooting for! :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks Really clean now! I will have to do this because I hated how the Ipod had to just "Lay Around" I will add that if you are leaving the car anywhere public I would still remove the Ipod from the cubby so that it cant be seen by a possible theif.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Oct 31 2010, 04:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367765
Looks Really clean now! I will have to do this because I hated how the Ipod had to just "Lay Around" I will add that if you are leaving the car anywhere public I would still remove the Ipod from the cubby so that it cant be seen by a possible theif.

I agree and say that you should never leave an ipod out but then again, i got 20% tints on my car and that ipod is black as well, if you peaked through the window you cant even really see it. The cubby is deep enough to hide the whole ipod.

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Oct 31 2010, 02:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367734
2. Take ipod cable and snake it through the opening, then run the cable as seen in the picture. you need to run the slack cable stright back then have it go under the storage compartment so when you put the plastic bezel piece back on it wont pinch it.

I appreciate the tutorial and pictures but can you explain how you got under the storage box? I got the side piece off and I shoved the wire under the storage back and it hits a wall. I was going to PM you but I figured other people might run into this as well?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (kicks @ Oct 31 2010, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367773
I appreciate the tutorial and pictures but can you explain how you got under the storage box? I got the side piece off and I shoved the wire under the storage back and it hits a wall. I was going to PM you but I figured other people might run into this as well?

Thank you
You actually do not need to get under the storage box, you just need to take the slack wire you have and just stick it under the storage box.

step#2 pic 4 shows the wire running straight back, that's because it needs to go all the way back in order to clear the piece of plastic that goes there.

I did a quicky in PAINT for you lol. hopefully this gives you an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice work, I am going to figure out how to rig it up into the small storage compartment above the iPod jack. I haven't taken anything apart yet.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (armycop @ Oct 31 2010, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367790
Nice work, I am going to figure out how to rig it up into the small storage compartment above the iPod jack. I haven't taken anything apart yet.

I was also contemplating that as well, From what i saw, i would recommend removing the container, then in the upper right hand corner in the back of the container cut a slit big enough to fit the plug. the hole would have to be far in the back because you would have interference issues with the door it self. When you open the door it almost completely covers the sides of the box. Its defiantly do-able. I was actually thinking about doing this as well, but as most people in the northeast know, its getting cooooooold out side lol.

If you do it take pics!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Oct 31 2010, 06:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367777
You actually do not need to get under the storage box, you just need to take the slack wire you have and just stick it under the storage box.

step#2 pic 4 shows the wire running straight back, that's because it needs to go all the way back in order to clear the piece of plastic that goes there.

I did a quicky in PAINT for you lol. hopefully this gives you an idea.
I understand you have to clear the plastic piece that goes there but I can't for the life of me snake it back there. I got frustrated and gave up lol. Thank you for the drawing though. If anyone else does this and has any advice/technique to do this, please share!

·
Registered
2 Posts
maybe I'm an idiot but what did you use to pry that first piece off? I tried using a screwdriver but i was afraid to mar the plastic

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (dococt @ Oct 31 2010, 07:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367798
maybe I'm an idiot but what did you use to pry that first piece off? I tried using a screwdriver but i was afraid to mar the plastic
I took that piece off in my car by just pulling it upwards. You might need to get a fingernail under there a bit, but it can be done. I would not recommend using a screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (dococt @ Oct 31 2010, 07:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367798
I actually have a 40 piece interior trim tool kit, so its a snap, I actually was able to get the piece off with a credit card using it the long way. Also If you have a spackle knife that would work as well. Larger the surface area you apply force to, the less chance you will damage the plastics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was just looking at the dash today trying to figure out how to get it all apart. Has anyone taken the entire stock radio out? They make it impossible to upgrade to a different head unit. Any chance of running subs off the stock unit???

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (Cortana @ Nov 1 2010, 04:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368044
Was just looking at the dash today trying to figure out how to get it all apart. Has anyone taken the entire stock radio out? They make it impossible to upgrade to a different head unit. Any chance of running subs off the stock unit???

welcome to the forums! first thing you should learn is how to use the search function!

This topic has already been discussed in other threads

·
Registered
733 Posts
Great idea and super nice mod, Thanks for the pics they help everyone for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Nov 1 2010, 05:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368047
welcome to the forums! first thing you should learn is how to use the search function!

This topic has already been discussed in other threads
Thanks for the tip, and that would have been helpful if I hadn't already searched before posting. You're really helpful.

Didn't come up when I searched stock head unit, stock radio, or subs with stock radio. Also not listed as part of the SuperThread on Double Din installation. Mind showing me a link? Because unfortunately I find a lot of info on OTHER Hyundai vehicles, but can't seem to find where anyone said they had tried (successfully or unsuccessfully) to use subs with the stock head unit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts