Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I try to drive more aggressive than your average grandma, I end up spinning the tires. Its super hard to take off from a red light and accelerate briskly without at least chirping them. I'm doing anything near flooring it, I'm talking maybe 25-35% throttle. And when pulling out in busy traffic, where you really have to nail it, I'm always flighting to make the car actually go fast instead of just spin the tires. I think this has a lot to do with the lag/delay/disconnect from the gas pedal to the engine, and its rubber-band-like rush of torque. (Also, why doesn't the traction control help this!!! If it can do it in snow perfectly how come it doesn't work on pavement at all?) Anyway, I was wondering if some new tires might help? My car only has 22k on it, the tread still pretty much looks like new, so its not just that they are worn out. But I wondered if the stock tires might just be crappy tires.

I also had a question about tire wear, the sides of my front tires look more worn than the rears do. I will attach some pics. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Your Sonata sounds like it spins much easier than mine, but spin she does. It's somewhat overpowered. Sounds like you have a bad tire? I haven't felt anything like the lag you describe; do you have a bad throttle position sensor? It was a common problem on early Sonatas. Traction control only plays a role when ONE wheel loses traction not both. It uses the ABS to slow down the wheel that slips so power can flow to the wheel that grips. Without it all power goes to the wheel that's already slipping.

Oh, almost forgot. Kuhomo Solis's, nothing special.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is an '09, I imagine the TPS issue was fixed by then? Mine has a lot of lag though, if you tap the gas pedal while in Neutral and watch the tach you can see it. There's at least a half second delay. I drove a I4 as a loaner once and it seemed to have much better throttle response. Thanks for the info on the traction control.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (zirconx @ Nov 22 2010, 01:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373897
I also had a question about tire wear, the sides of my front tires look more worn than the rears do. I will attach some pics. Is this normal?

Have you ever rotated your tires or ever had an alignment? It looks like the front tires have either never been rotated, that your front alignment is out of adjustement, or both.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Nov 22 2010, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373930
Have you ever rotated your tires or ever had an alignment? It looks like the front tires have either never been rotated, that your front alignment is out of adjustement, or both.
I have them rotate the tires every other oil change or so. Never had an alignment, car only has 22k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (zirconx @ Nov 22 2010, 04:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373932
I have them rotate the tires every other oil change or so. Never had an alignment, car only has 22k miles on it.
Since you have rotated the tires and the back tires don't show the same outside wear as the front tires, I would suspect that something has caused this unusual wear since the last rotation. I would at least get the alignment checked to make sure that it is not the cause of this wear. The alignment can go out anytime regardless of the mileage on your vehicle. All you need to do is hit a pothole, or some other obstacle, hard enough. I get an alignment done everytime I get the oil/filter changed, every 5K miles, and usually there is some sort of adjustment required. Of course you need to trust the shop that performs the alignment and it helps that I get free alignments since I purchased lifetime alignments for my vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts