Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi team:
Some questions, and helpful advice needed:
I'm looking at a Sport with the 2.4 FWD.
-The highway EPA is supposed to be 29, does anyone get that? (at 70 MPH)
-What should I pay for the lowest package with roof rails (gotta have them)
- Why is the Sport $800 more than a Sorrento (MSRP) and there are many discounts available before you start to negotiate? I think they are the same car with different skin.
-How does the sport stack up (pros and cons) with the Sorrento and SUV's that are slightly smaller?
-Forester- AWD, roof rack, sun roof, power seat, back up camera, $24,000 +tax
-CR-V AWD about the same cost without power seat
When you compare dimensions on these 4, they are really similar.
Oh and this is nearly a deal killer- I want a back up camera, if you've ever used one, they're as mandatory as power windows.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi team:
I have the 2.4 FWD. On long trips I have gotten (and exceeded) 29 mpg for an entire tank of gas. Wind direction, amount of hills, and amount of cargo and passengers were all factors.

The EPA's combined number for this vehicle is 26. That's the number I put more stock in, because that's the mileage I get with every tank. I'm getting that and that's with Wisconsin's long winters and winter gas. If I lived in a warmer climate, my combined mpg would likely be closer to 28.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Comparing to the CR-V (I had a 2010 CR-V before I got my SFS - telephone poles and CR-V's don't mix! - so I looked at it before going with the Hyundai) the CR-V, for all the features that the SFS has, was more expensive. Backup camera was not a must for me - but if it is, I would get an aftermarket one. AFAIK with the packages the Santa Fe has if you really want the factory camera you don't get the roof rails - because you get the panoramic sunroof. If you go with a lower package without the Pano roof, you get the rails and add an aftermarket camera from, for example, Canadian Tire (you are not in Canada and I don't know what store you'd go to!) it would be a LOT less than getting the higher package, and not getting the rails you want.

I don't know how it compares to the Sorrento - I tend to like Hyundai more than Kia (yes, I know they are owned by the same company!) and I think Hyundai is a bit "nicer" brand. Having said that, the wife has an '09 Kia Rondo she loves.

Mileage - For the first 5 to 10 thousand, I wouldn't be too worried if your mileage is lower than you expect. Some are getting better than EPA, some worse - but its a nice ride!

Price - no idea what to look for.

Brian

·
2,258 Posts
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/260-dm-2013-santa-fe/148583-fuel-capacity-range-mpg-readings.html

we cant answer that. everyone will pay a little different. we dont know your trade in. we dont know your credit. we dont know how long you will be financing for. we dont know your dealer. summer is ending, so today's prices & incentives will be totally different than the prices 3 months ago. SUV's become more desirable in the winter, and since this SUV is hard to get as it is from the factory - dealers are already starting to stop handing them out like candy for low prices.

- Why is the Sport $800 more than a Sorrento (MSRP) and there are many discounts available before you start to negotiate? I think they are the same car with different skin.
ask your Kia dealer. we dont work for Hyundai/Kia. we can only tell you what we know about our purchases/deals. i would venture to say that the santa fe is taking away a lot of buyers due to its awesome looks.

-How does the sport stack up (pros and cons) with the Sorrento and SUV's that are slightly smaller?
test drive it. do your own homework at the dealer. we dont work for Kia. we cant answer your question since odds are none of us own the 2013 Sorrento.

test drive it. do your own homework at the dealer. we dont work for subaru. we cant answer your question since odds are none of us own the 2013 forester.

test drive it. do your own homework at the dealer. we dont work for honda. we cant answer your question since odds are none of us own the 2013 crv.

Oh and this is nearly a deal killer- I want a back up camera, if you've ever used one, they're as mandatory as power windows.
i agree, thats why we got the fully loaded Santa Fe minus the Navi/Roof. the rear cam is a great feature.

ps:welcome to the forum!! :00000732:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi team:

Thanks for your advice!
I can't chime in too much on the 2.4 FWD, as I have the 2.0T AWD, but versus the Sorrento, I think it's night and day... but that's just an opinion.
I don't think the exterior design ( sporty look, headlight design etc) doesn't compare to the Santa Fe.
The biggest factor for me, as we're all dealing with the interior of the vehicle on a daily basis - is the lighting. I CAN'T STAND red lighting on the interior of a car... the soft blues or greens is the way to go. Sounds like a small thing - but I can't stand it.

I agree with someone else's comments in saying that I believe the Hyundai to be the "higher end" brand to Kia...

·
Registered
55 Posts
It would've been nicer if Hyundai offered the rear view camera as a basic feature or at least as a separate option. On the other hand, I would say the leather option package is nice as a whole and worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi team:

Thanks for your advice!
Test drive them all, here's my take:

The Subaru uses a CVT, a deal breaker for me. It feels and sounds annoying for me. And the interior looks plain, like a car from 2003 not 2013, but that's just my opinion. Otherwise it's good value (seems to have good reliability record).

The CRV's rear end reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek. It is more spacious inside though, the cargo is wider, more square and the floor lower. And the front passenger seat is more comfortable than the Santa Fe's (according to my wife). But I can't see past hollow plastic interior and door panels, it feels cheap. And the wind and road noise takes over the interior when you drive past a certain speed on the highway, and I do a lot of highway road trips, so that's no go for me.

The Sorento looks plain jane compared to the Santa Fe. The 2014 Sorento model looks too much like the 2013, which is NOT pretty. I would suggest you get a quote from a Kia dealership and use that to haggle with your Hyundai dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/260-dm-2013-santa-fe/148583-fuel-capacity-range-mpg-readings.html

we cant answer that. everyone will pay a little different. we dont know your trade in. we dont know your credit. we dont know how long you will be financing for. we dont know your dealer. summer is ending, so today's prices & incentives will be totally different than the prices 3 months ago. SUV's become more desirable in the winter, and since this SUV is hard to get as it is from the factory - dealers are already starting to stop handing them out like candy for low prices.

ask your Kia dealer. we dont work for Hyundai/Kia. we can only tell you what we know about our purchases/deals. i would venture to say that the santa fe is taking away a lot of buyers due to its awesome looks.

test drive it. do your own homework at the dealer. we dont work for Kia. we cant answer your question since odds are none of us own the 2013 Sorrento.

test drive it. do your own homework at the dealer. we dont work for subaru. we cant answer your question since odds are none of us own the 2013 forester.

test drive it. do your own homework at the dealer. we dont work for honda. we cant answer your question since odds are none of us own the 2013 crv.

i agree, thats why we got the fully loaded Santa Fe minus the Navi/Roof. the rear cam is a great feature.

ps:welcome to the forum!! :00000732:
:confused: wow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed on the 'wow :confused:'...all that 'stop asking questions, go test drive it' and then the sweet, sweet irony of 'Welcome to the forum!'. Literally made me laugh out loud.

While I agree most of us probably don't own the other vehicles being asked about, I'm sure many of us *did* cross-shop some of them and might be able to contribute something.

I thought that was a unpleasant and particularly unhelpful response, especially from a moderator.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I owned one for about 9,650 miles. Average was just a hair under 23 mpg overall. I never did get 29 mpg on a tankful. Close but no cigar.

My personal recommendation is to spring for the turbo unless all your driving is done in flat terrain. If you don't like either then I would consider the LWB version as it has the V6 is much higher rated by CU.

The NAV and back-up camera are first rate. Everything is pretty good. The only problem I ever had was the fuel cap issue that was corrected with a software patch.

I would drive all three versions, the 2.4, the 2.0 Turbo and the new LWB with the 3.3 V6. As long as you are going to spend a significant amount of money I would get exactly what you want. Trying to retrofit a model afterwards is simply not worth the hassle and will add no value to the car when you go to trade in.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Agreed on the 'wow :confused:'...all that 'stop asking questions, go test drive it' and then the sweet, sweet irony of 'Welcome to the forum!'. Literally made me laugh out loud.

I thought that was a unpleasant and particularly unhelpful response, especially from a moderator.
That seems to be the 'new norm' here...

I`m going to take a voluntary 'leave of absence' from the Forum for a bit...

Over & Out...

·
2,258 Posts
That seems to be the 'new norm' here...
new norm?? ahuh.

To the OP: the reason i posted what i posted, is because thats the truth. it might have come off as edgy, so i apologize if thats how you took it- but in reality, all i wanted to say was those are all questions you could answer for yourself by test driving the cars and speaking with the specific dealers/salesman regarding any incentives/offers.
car shopping isnt something you can do simply off of a forum. you have to go in, touch, feel, smell, drive, and see for yourself how the specific models you mentioned, compare to the santa fe. furthermore, we cant tell you what you should pay for your new car. everything is different every 6 months/season. so its too hard of a question (we'd have a easier time helping you figure out what to have for lunch. lol/jk)
was that harsh? maybe. but its the truth.

PS: dont let the negative-nancy's steer you to any other forum. this is still the #1 santa fe forum available. enjoy your new car, and your stay here- we have a lot of great members who contribute daily.

·
Registered
163 Posts
new norm?? ahuh.

To the OP: the reason i posted what i posted, is because thats the truth. it might have come off as edgy, so i apologize if thats how you took it- but in reality, all i wanted to say was those are all questions you could answer for yourself by test driving the cars and speaking with the specific dealers/salesman regarding any incentives/offers.
car shopping isnt something you can do simply off of a forum. you have to go in, touch, feel, smell, drive, and see for yourself how the specific models you mentioned, compare to the santa fe. furthermore, we cant tell you what you should pay for your new car. everything is different every 6 months/season. so its too hard of a question (we'd have a easier time helping you figure out what to have for lunch. lol/jk)
was that harsh? maybe. but its the truth.

PS: dont let the negative-nancy's steer you to any other forum. this is still the #1 santa fe forum available. enjoy your new car, and your stay here- we have a lot of great members who contribute daily.
So what you are saying is that someone shouldn't educate themselves before they go car shopping? Sorry, your attitude is going to/has driven people away from the forums....you have no business being a moderator. The forums are for asking questions and becoming informed. You act like it is a personal inconvenience for people to ask questions.

·
2,258 Posts
So what you are saying is that someone shouldn't educate themselves before they go car shopping?
the advice i was giving is that folks should really spend the time car shopping, and really getting to know cars they are interested in - in first person. THEN coming on the forums and seeking opinions/advice. (it works best when an OP can actually give US some insight on the other models and their features; so we can give him the insight we have on our Santa Fe.)

simply coming on a car specific forum, and asking advice about other 4 or 5 other 2013 brands/models wont get the OP very far. i wasnt trying to put anyone down, rather let the OP know that he could better find the answers for his questions by actually visiting each specific dealership.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I thought this was a Hyundai Santa Fe forum. Why would the OP ask about other makes and models here???? When I shop I go to a brand specific forum and ask the guys who actually own the make and model the questions I have.
I think the mod was in line with his comments and was not berating the OP. Tell me again where he told the OP to "stop asking questions". The questions the OP asked about other makes ain't gona' have answers here!!! :mellow:

·
Registered
237 Posts
So what you are saying is that someone shouldn't educate themselves before they go car shopping? Sorry, your attitude is going to/has driven people away from the forums....you have no business being a moderator. The forums are for asking questions and becoming informed. You act like it is a personal inconvenience for people to ask questions.
That's harsh, and in my opinion, unwarranted. This is a pretty tame and easy going forum, and I've been on many.

Ever heard of the term "flame war"? I have. Many times on other forums. You want to see some serious attitude and bickering, head over to almost any weather or computer forum. On this forum, I don't think I've ever seen a serious snark attack. It's just people posting questions, observations, and tips about their vehicles, which is exactly what a car forum should be.

I'm not blowing smoke (no reason to).....I'm just telling you how I feel.

By the way, I don't think the OP was out of line for asking the questions he asked. I agree with you and others that forum members should feel free to ask any question they like. Likewise, I don't think the moderator was out of line for suggesting that the OP test drive the 4 vehicles to make his own valid comparison. Perhaps a bit sarcastic and wordy in his response, but nothing that warrants the drama and threats to leave the forum.

·
2,258 Posts
thats enough of that. yet again, a thread flamed & derailed. closed.

PS: name calling, flaming/inciting will not be tolerated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.