Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, does anybody know what is the nominal wiper blade refill width (not the length!) for Sonata 2016 original blades?
I see different refills offered with 4.x, 6, 7, and 8 mm width.

Second, what is a better material for the wiper in the hot climate (extremely hot summers)? My understanding that silicone should survive longer in heat, as it doesn't harden unlike the rubber. Am I missing any "cons" for silicone?

I've found a few threads related to wiper blades, refills, etc. I've noticed that most of the suggestions were made explicitly or implicitly about the wiper blades that do well with ice/winter condition (e.g. Icons). In the South, my concern is the longevity of the material as affected by long term exposure to 100+ F. (38+ C).

Just in case someone is interested or has had some experience with these, I've been considering this very inexpensive silicon refills:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017NQFVSY/[/ame]

Also, how does teflon coating (as found e.g. in NeoForms) do in heat?

·
Registered
258 Posts
might be better off buying whole new blades tbh lol. i recommend Bosch Evolution and Rain-X Latitude. both have done fine in heat and rain (Florida) and cold and snow (Connecticut), so long as you keep your windshield clean.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
i'd be wary. in the info it calls them rubber. check out sam's club tire department. they have peak(which they're probably trico or pylon)in hybrid or beam style 10.88 all sizes. that's the way i'm going next time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used 8mm on mine. PIAA 94065 - silicone and works great for me.
Bought 2x 26 inch and just cut it to fit on the smaller side.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't bother with refills any more as I just pick up new ones at Costco. A few times a year they go on sale for $5 a pop. They last me 4-6 months so I pick up a couple sets each time and at the first sign of streaking I just install a new set. Even full price they are still half the price that they want you to pay at the auto parts stores.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I've seen those references to Lexus refills. The problem is that the nearest Lexus dealership is almost 100 miles away. I can buy those from Amazon as well (there were some available when I looked). But, I couldn't find their width either.

In any case, I am specifically curious about the silicone ones, hence the questions.

PS. Looking at several other responses in this (and some other) threads, I couldn't help noticing how many people in this forum tend to respond to the questions that weren't asked.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't bother with refills any more as I just pick up new ones at Costco. A few times a year they go on sale for $5 a pop. They last me 4-6 months so I pick up a couple sets each time and at the first sign of streaking I just install a new set. Even full price they are still half the price that they want you to pay at the auto parts stores.
Could you link what you get at Costco?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes, StR, we are off subject, however what the guys said must be said. That being said, here are the brands I use.

Hyundai part number;
U889000026 and
U889000018.

The other brand is Motorcraft, from any Ford dealer. Part numbers;
WW-2601-PF and
WW-1801-PF.
These Motorcraft look different and the connection is different, but they are a perfect fit.

All part numbers could be superseded but that is what they were last time I bought them.

The cost is anywhere from $12.99 to $16.99. Sometimes I even find them on sale for less. Whenever I wash the car, I always wash and lube (RainX) the blades. Although I always carry spare blades, both my 2015 and 2018 are still on the original blades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts