Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying a Hyundai Equus Ultimate 2011 to 2013 model.

Questions:

a) What's the difference between the 2011, 2012 and 2013 model? Is there a year that's better than others in terms of quality of materials and reliability?

b) How reliable is the car? What are the things that tend to break down and how much do they cost? Also, is there a way to prevent said break down?

Finally, if there is anything that I should be aware of before this purchase, please let me know.

Thank you to all in advance. Truly is appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Equus 2011-13...before model refresh...look at this forum and you will see someone with "livery"(limo use) with minimal problems. Most chassis problems are with air suspension-worn/punctured air struts-failed pump, or the Dreaded VSM off error(brake switch easy, adaptive Cruise radar module expensive). Ultimate has multiple interior luxury items which may fail...

My wife's 2011 Standard Equus had the memory buttons for drivers seat replaced, the power seat motor/track assembly as well, and the rear reclining seat motor assembly replaced, and a few operator errors (coin in cigarette lighter pop fuse after a carwash). Annoying trim issues (exterior b and c pillar trim very hazy, non-polish able- buy add on trim or vinyl wrap), common headlight clouding at the top 1/5th, car super prone to door dings from others(Panel thickness). Tires get used up fairly quickly(20-25K max on Hankook Ventus v12 evo2).

Glaring obvious omissions-Side collision avoidance detectors in exterior mirrors, oil change warning in display, 6 way only seat on passenger front....things you expect from a similar vintage luxo sedan of equivalent cost and trim.

IMO...2014-16 the better choice if in your price range...11-13 superb value but costly to repair if you dont DIY or have trustworthy mechanic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Differences, quoted info from Edmonds.com:

"For 2012, the Hyundai Equus gets a new 5.0-liter V8 engine and an eight-speed automatic transmission. Power rear side-window shades now come standard on the Ultimate."

The 4.8L in the 2011 has the advantage of being designed to run on regular gas, the 5.0 suggests use of higher octane. But as many have said, the 5.0 runs fine on regular, you just will not get top horse-power. Either gets "enough" power. I rarely need to push the accelerator very far unless I am just playing around. (5.0L=429 hp, 4.8L=385 hp; 2011 has a 6-speed transmission)

"The Hyundai Equus is unchanged for 2013."

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
$40-50,0000 Hyundai,,, buy LEXUS

·
Registered
18 Posts
sbr: So is carbon an issue with GDI Equus 2012-16? You repair these type of cars, yes?

And yes, LEXUS makes great cars, which you pay for in high resale value...guessing most rational folks lease these depreciation monsters...(I bought used) and maintain them as they can afford(super expensive electronics)...My choice in 2015 was a 2011 Equus with 46K, or a 2009 ES 350 with 75K for the same price...the Equus was 40% less than a same model year LS460, the comparable model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don’t buy any Equus. I have a 2014; engine failed with only 32k mikes and Hyundai refused to warranty the issue and I had to pay $15k out of pocket to replace. I own 2 other Hyundai’s and will NEVER buy another under any circumstances. Hyundai is not a reputable company.

Questions:

a) What's the difference between the 2011, 2012 and 2013 model? Is there a year that's better than others in terms of quality of materials and reliability?

b) How reliable is the car? What are the things that tend to break down and how much do they cost? Also, is there a way to prevent said break down?

Finally, if there is anything that I should be aware of before this purchase, please let me know.

Thank you to all in advance. Truly is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Equus 2011-13...before model refresh...look at this forum and you will see someone with "livery"(limo use) with minimal problems. Most chassis problems are with air suspension-worn/punctured air struts-failed pump, or the Dreaded VSM off error(brake switch easy, adaptive Cruise radar module expensive). Ultimate has multiple interior luxury items which may fail...

My wife's 2011 Standard Equus had the memory buttons for drivers seat replaced, the power seat motor/track assembly as well, and the rear reclining seat motor assembly replaced, and a few operator errors (coin in cigarette lighter pop fuse after a carwash). Annoying trim issues (exterior b and c pillar trim very hazy, non-polish able- buy add on trim or vinyl wrap), common headlight clouding at the top 1/5th, car super prone to door dings from others(Panel thickness). Tires get used up fairly quickly(20-25K max on Hankook Ventus v12 evo2).

Glaring obvious omissions-Side collision avoidance detectors in exterior mirrors, oil change warning in display, 6 way only seat on passenger front....things you expect from a similar vintage luxo sedan of equivalent cost and trim.

IMO...2014-16 the better choice if in your price range...11-13 superb value but costly to repair if you dont DIY or have trustworthy mechanic.
I bought this accident-free 40,000-mile car 9 months ago, relying on my research and the good reviews. However, it appears that the Hyundai Equus model has yet to master the finesse that is required in high-end vehicles. Now at 48000 miles, the leather covering of the dashboard has lifted from its base (see pics). I took it to Rick Case Hyundai service department (and to many other experts in the upholstering business) and was told that the leather covering of the dashboard has shrunk and may continue to shrink further (see attached pictures). The dealer claims that several similar issues had come up and if this car is over 5 years old, it is no longer under warranty and may be fixed at a cost of $4,500.00. The high cost is due to the front windshield and the dashboard that must be removed. I was also advised that the Equus and the now G90 models are warranted for 10 years or 100,000 miles for power train (engine, transmission, and differential) only. The electronics or any other component is warranted for 5 years or 60,000 miles. In addition to the above issue, when cruising (with cruise control activated) on the expressway at 75MPH, the car would suddenly shut off, slowing down considerably, and would self-power-up a few seconds later. At other times, the brakes would self apply when passing or being passed by vehicles on the adjacent lanes almost causing me to be rear-ended at high speed. I was advised that one of the taillights showed condensation inside of it, a fissure on the taillight assembly that allowed water to get in thereby shorting the entire electronics. Dealer cost for the repair, $1,800.00. I called Hyundai and was flatly told that it was my problem to have it fixed, not theirs as the car, just recently being over 5 years, was out of warranty. I ended up fixing the tail light at a cost of $1350.00. I still have the tail light assembly, it had about one-half gallon of water inside, however, the technician was baffled as to how the water was able to get inside of it as the unit appeared well-sealed, without any cracks and unbroken. Although the vehicle is a performer, it appears that Hyundai is lacking in the area of quality control that is required in high-end vehicles. The above-mentioned issues, if not properly addressed by the vehicle manufacturer, will eventually result in fatalities. Also, small and annoying defects in these vehicles are proven to be super expensive to repair. Hyundai/Kia is going to have to do a lot of work to regain my loyalty. Hello BMW, CADILLAC and MERCEDES...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't see your photos...your description (and an internet search-Ohio/Georgia/Florida Car dealer) made me think accident damage incorrectly repaired (and hidden from Car fax, et al) or some flood damage. I almost forgot the slight lifting the dash leather has around the defroster vent...I live in the west(dry climate), and look for decent eBay parts for plastic things like headlamp/tail lamp that burn up in the sun....An Acura/Lexus it is not...stealer-ship issues are yet something else. I bought a 3 year comprehensive warranty from a Hyundai dealer, to cover the electronics/chassis components...

The adaptive cruise control (on the 2011 anyway) is not very smart, and has issues when being overtaken by other cars, especially when in center lane with truck on right and faster car in left lane....I don't notice this...I'm usually the one in the left lane ;)...you can turn the adaptive function off...and this tendency was described here...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts