Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have been using my paddle shiftrs for a while but am still unsure about a few things. When i accelerate hard in first or second i get engine braking. Is this bad? Does this mean its time for me to shift up? Also, can i downshift while accelerating? If you can provide a detailed answer it'd be appreciated. I still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do you get engine braking after letting off the gas while in the low gear? If so, yes this is normal and means it's time to shift up. Usually you would downshift IN ORDER to accelerate after you're already at a cruise speed. This allows the engine to spool up and make the car accelerate. This is generally what you do to pass. With an automatic transmission, you simply press the gas down and the transmission downshifts automatically. When accelerating from a stop, shift up and up only.

When driving normally in a standard(with a clutch pedal and stick), I usually shift around 3000 RPMs. If you want to drive more aggressively you can bring the RPMs up more to say 5000-6000 RPM and apply throttle more rapidly.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi guys. I have been using my paddle shiftrs for a while but am still unsure about a few things. When i accelerate hard in first or second i get engine braking. Is this bad? Does this mean its time for me to shift up? Also, can i downshift while accelerating? If you can provide a detailed answer it'd be appreciated. I still have a lot to learn.
In manual mode it automatically shifts from 1st to 2nd at 5600RPM, and all the rest at 6500RPM I think... I only use them to downshift and let the car do the rest cause it wont let you redline it...

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you are in manual mode and go full throttle accelerate in first/second gear, the car will hit the rev limiter (sudden loss of power). You can downshift all you want, the car will not downshift unless it deems it safe to do so. In fact, I was going down the road at 30 mph and my dog jumped from the back to the front and hit the shift lever to reverse and nothing bad happened...car just went to neutral so they got protections in place.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you are in manual mode and go full throttle accelerate in first/second gear, the car will hit the rev limiter (sudden loss of power). You can downshift all you want, the car will not downshift unless it deems it safe to do so. In fact, I was going down the road at 30 mph and my dog jumped from the back to the front and hit the shift lever to reverse and nothing bad happened...car just went to neutral so they got protections in place.
Ummm I have no idea what car you have but unless you have a manual the car will not let you hit the revlimiter in any gear... Also the dog only put the car in nuetral, you have to pull the lever to put it in R...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts