Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's,

I searched the forum and the web however I am unable to find a general complete list so maybe somebody can help me. Today was the first but of real snow Elena saw and it was fun trying to get the snow off of her. I just picked up a snowboom/ice scraper.

I'm trying to build a good kit to keep in the car and was just wondering what are some necessary items to keep in the car? I live in NYC so most of my driving is local. However there are times I go upstate/long island and roadtrips where it can be several miles between towns so I'm just looking to make sure if something happens I will be ready.

·
Registered
547 Posts
In my car I always have a first aid kit, jacket, pair of gloves, jumper cables, tire repair kit(since the E doesn't come with a spare tire), small knife, small tool box with basic tools, ice scraper/snow brush and flash light. I think these are some good items that can be used not only for emergencies but for any day issues. I always have them in my trunk so I'm always ready.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to get out my tool box at a friend's house because they don't have proper tools lol

I was right there with you this weekend and today with cleaning the snow off my E. First of the year!

·
22,788 Posts
Hyundai Roadside Assistance #: 800-243-7766. Keep it in your phone, just in case.

There's a lot of qualified people that live up in your region and further North. I'll let them list the important items. We don't get the crazy weather down here that you guys do. We have our days of course, or a week or two, but mostly it's just cold.

I'm anticipating you will see listed items like an extra blanket, small shovel, extra set of wiper blades, insulated gloves, windshield washer fluid, flashlight, etc. There's probably a ton of stuff that would come in handy. Maybe a spare tire and a jack. It's good insurance to protect yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm anticipating you will see listed items like an extra blanket, small shovel, extra set of wiper blades, insulated gloves, windshield washer fluid, flashlight, etc. There's probably a ton of stuff that would come in handy. Maybe a spare tire and a jack. It's good insurance to protect yourself.

Funny that you mention extra windshield wipers. I actually replaced the stock ones with the rainx weatherbeaters and on the way home the other day it was pouring and they were doing a great job at cleaning but the wiping noise drove me nuts so I pulled over and put back the stock ones. I order a 28in rainx Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade to replace the stock one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We don't get that much tools in our cars here in Canada or maybe I'm just not getting that much crazy about it.

I only carry in my car during winter a snow brush/ice scraper, a good set of glove, a flashlight and a set of winter floor mats to protect my baby from the calcium.

This is the usual stuff you should carry. Here in Canada or maybe just in Quebec, a spare tire and a jack come with the car when you buy it.

Funny that you mention extra windshield wipers. I actually replaced the stock ones with the rainx weatherbeaters and on the way home the other day it was pouring and they were doing a great job at cleaning but the wiping noise drove me nuts so I pulled over and put back the stock ones. I order a 28in rainx Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade to replace the stock one.
Srsly I've tryed a bunch of windshield wipper and the best ones I've had are the stock one and the Bosch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Srsly I've tryed a bunch of windshield wipper and the best ones I've had are the stock one and the Bosch.

I havent tried the Bosch yet are they really that good?

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Yeah we're the ones with the real winters and our trunks are probably the most empty LOL in my trunk there's only a blanket, I won it at work, it has the company logo on it. I have a gallon of -40°C windshield fluid, jumper cables, my snow broom and that's it. I know I should have an emergency kit, a shovel and bla bla bla but I just don't bother, in more than 20 years of driving I never needed them.

·
22,788 Posts
Confession is good for the soul, huh? Due to my locale, all I have is a good old ice scraper...recently moved from the trunk to the passenger door pocket. My idea of "emergency tools": Rain-X window cleaner, spare wipers, wash bucket with shampoo and microfiber sponges, chamois, a couple of microfiber towels, a bottle of quick detailer and tire dressing. A dirty car is my idea of an emergency crisis. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Never use a broom or stiff brush to remove snow, it will scratch the finish. Use your gloved hand to move the snow off and if ice you can hit the hood, roof lightly with your hand to crack it then remove it. Brooms brushes on the finish will scratch the paint, especially dark colors.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I lived in Maine for several years and I do know what came in handy was a hair dryer. Half the winter my doors would be frozen shut. So everything you mention putting in your car I couldn't even get to, haha....

·
Registered
33 Posts
here are two items that I use and work really great:
1.Windshield...I use a spray bottle with windshield washer fluid/deicer that is 2 to 3 times the normal concentration...can pick up concentrated deicer/windshield washer fluid @ NAPA,etc and dilute it to the concentration that works in your area....works great and eliminates all the windshield scraping...just spray on windshield to melt the ice..

2.Snow Removal...ordinary sqeegee...about 2ft handle...has rubber blade that will not scratch the paint finish....it works amazingly well on any depth of snow...can be obtained at any auto parts store..

·
Registered
547 Posts
1.Windshield...I use a spray bottle with windshield washer fluid/deicer that is 2 to 3 times the normal concentration...can pick up concentrated deicer/windshield washer fluid @ NAPA,etc and dilute it to the concentration that works in your area....works great and eliminates all the windshield scraping...just spray on windshield to melt the ice..

2.Snow Removal...ordinary sqeegee...about 2ft handle...has rubber blade that will not scratch the paint finish....it works amazingly well on any depth of snow...can be obtained at any auto parts store..
Great idea with windshield washer fluid in spray to melt ice! I will definitely use that trick.

·
22,788 Posts
1.Windshield...I use a spray bottle with windshield washer fluid/deicer that is 2 to 3 times the normal concentration...just spray on windshield to melt the ice...
Smart!

I will definitely use that trick.
:thumbsup: I'm right behind you! Guess I have to add this to my short list of winter items stored in the trunk, yes?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Smart!

:thumbsup: I'm right behind you! Guess I have to add this to my short list of winter items stored in the trunk, yes?
Absolutely! Ice is a common thing here in Maryland. Despite these past couple snow storms, we tend to get a lot of freezing rain and sleet. So deicing our cars happens a lot but never thought of this trick. Brilliant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, when my windshield is frosted I just use my normal windshield washer directly from the inside of the car with the wipers controls arm and then wipe it off with the wipers.

Work 100% of the times. :00000732:

But the remote starter is my number one friend during winter.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Some of these are vehicle requirements from an oceanside State Park where you can drive onto the beach: - Spare tire
- Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
- Tow chain or snatch line
- Shovel
- Flashlight
- Fire extinguisher
- Auto first aid kit;
- Minimum of 1/2 tank of fuel
May I also suggest bottled water, some sealed food, sleeping bag, kitty litter, location of the nearest watering hole?

·
22,788 Posts
Some of these are vehicle requirements from an oceanside State Park where you can drive onto the beach: - Spare tire
- Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
- Tow chain or snatch line
- Shovel
- Flashlight
- Fire extinguisher
- Auto first aid kit;
- Minimum of 1/2 tank of fuel
May I also suggest bottled water, some sealed food, sleeping bag, kitty litter, location of the nearest watering hole?
I think you have just described what could effectively be called "The Perfect Motorist's Emergency Kit."

Only thing missing is a couple of brewski's or wine coolers in the event you and momma have to snuggle under the blanket for warmth until help arrives. Hopefully not before 3 minutes have lapsed. :blush:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

After mentioning the sqeegee i think im gonna go with a Sno Brum Original Snow Removal since every review says it doesnt scratch the paint.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I carry just a regular snow brush/ice scrapper. If it's a highway trip then usually A few extra layers of clothes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
additional info on deicer.....when you spray the windshield and use the windshield wipers immediately afterwards it may remove the deicer and a film of water remaining may freeze again....may have to do a second shot or heat up the windshield..anyway, whatever works for you to drive safely....the spray bottle I picked up @HomeDepot in the garden center...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts