Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here, and I need advise.

I've juz gone shopping for a new economic car. I am currently driving a Nissan Sunny 1.6 Supersaloon, and I want to downgrade to a smaller CC car, for myself and my family of 2 kids. Question : is the Getz a fuel economical car? The general complain is that it drinks like a horse. Pls advise. Thanks

Richard
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi Rich.....welcome to the Forums!.

You don`t say which engine you are looking at, but the official U.K. figures for the combined cycle of the smaller-engined Getz models are as follows (all expressed in miles per Imperial gallon = about 4.5 litres) :-

1.1 = 49
1.3 = 45
1.5 CRTD (diesel) = 59

I would say these are very good figures indeed!.
Nick. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have had a 1300 CDX Automatic for 4 months and the best F.C I can get is way under what Hyundai says!!! at the moment, even after fitting a K&N filter, the F.C is not good, 22-24 urban, 38-44 motorway, which is the F.C of a much, much larger car, a few years ago I got that sort of F.C from a 2 litre Ford Capri and at that time I was driving like a "Boy Racer". But having said that what you get for your money with the Getz is a bonus, here in the UK the CDX comes with so many features I can't list them all, but here are a few, power steering, ABS&EBD (braking), air-con, multi air-bags, electic sun-roof, electric heated mirrors, remote control central locking with alarm, adjustable steering, seating with so many adjustments its not true! 60-40 split rear seats, height-adjustable headlights and lots lots more, like I said to many to list, but it comes down to the old saying, horses for courses !!!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
As a general rule.

Nothing that carries the weight of a new car will be fuel efficient using a 1300cc.

Even morris got the idea and went fro a 1275 to a 1600 when the body weight went up!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Rich@Nov 19 2004, 12:54 AM
Hi,

I'm new here, and I need advise.

I've juz gone shopping for a new economic car. I am currently driving a Nissan Sunny 1.6 Supersaloon, and I want to downgrade to a smaller CC car, for myself and my family of 2 kids. Question : is the Getz a fuel economical car? The general complain is that it drinks like a horse. Pls advise. Thanks

Richard
:rolleyes:
[snapback]2871[/snapback]​

hi bro,

i can tell u that, the hyundai getz 1.3L engine is not as good as Honda Jazz/Fit engine that can give u really good Fuel economics or fuel savings...

i can say that, if u r driving a nissan sunny 1.5/1.6 Manual, it is no much dirrerent if u compare to 1.3GL(A).

FYI, the Hyundai getz 1.3A is about 8.8L/100km for combine city and highway use lah.

i think the Fuel consumption is almost the same with your nissan right?
anyway, i can say that the price of aroung SGD53000 is good buy in your country, and do remember SG have a very good car clubs community as a background,
and u supposed to join them at www.getzclub.com to get into the huge community in SG.

happy shopping.
cheers....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by Rich@Nov 19 2004, 12:54 AM
Question : is the Getz a fuel economical car? The general complain is that it drinks like a horse.

[snapback]2871[/snapback]​

my first question would be what kind of drivers said this? :w00t:
in any car, if your foot is heavy on the gas, it wont drink like a horse. think drink like a fish!!!

the getz 1.1 would be the most fuel efficient but you do sacrifice some of the power. a 1.3 or 1.5 would be okay...the 1.6 i think is a waste on a getz...defeats the purpose of an econo car since it will guzzle gaz like a normal sedan.

proper driving and avoiding sudden accelerating & downshifting helps fuel efficiency too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi :banana:

All Hyundais drink more than most. Agreed Getz 1.1>1.4 best buy of the range.
Except FC every thing else so far so good... Happy...right move.
Power of my 1.4 auto top speed done 164 km/hr and amazingly steady for a car
of this size. Only tried it once, just to see how if feels.

Driving Habit is a key to FC agreed. To compare with Honda Jazz/Fit
The different is about Sin $8,000 at one time. Getz is still value for money.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Now I am not into top speeds, but I think that 164km/hr is poor for a 1.4, I have got 174km/hr (109 mph) from my Getz, which is a 1.3 Automatic, which I thought was poor, from all the praises I have read about the 1.4 engine I expected more, my one and only criticism is and always will be the fuel consumption, but as we all know if you go by the computer, is terrible, but when you learn that the computer on the pre-2005 Getz was for the US market, it makes it a little of a body blow (on average the on board computer is 4/5 mpg out). I have been on to trading standards (here in the UK) and I still waiting for a reply.

My argument is that the computers on the pre-2005 Getz's should be replaced, as a recall, Hyundai have said "NO WAY", but like I have said I am still waiting for a reply from trading standards, may be if all pre-2005 Getz owners complained enough we may get a result, but little me on my little own, I don't think so. :460: :460: :460:

·
Registered
6 Posts
After 15000 km, my 1.1Li GETZ is now making 13km/liter of petrol. I used to hate this car during the first 5000km - FC ~ 9km/liter. Must have loosen up... acceleration improved, too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, i have more than 44.000 Km in my 1.3l manual Getz, and i'm very pleased with it.
Even when i'm driving ''petal to the metal'' i hardly have more than 9,5lt/100km in FC. And about the top speed it can go ... faster than you think.

( This is ''petal to the metal''... )

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think you should all read this official reply from Hyundai explaining how they calculate the FC:

Got this reply from Hyundai, with regards to FC and recalls:
Dear

I am writing with reference to your recent enquiries regarding your
Hyundai Getz, registration Further to the concerns that you
raised in your emails, I have investigated these points and have the
following feedback for you.

With reference to the concerns about the fuel consumption figures that you
are getting compared to the figures published in our brochure, I have the
following information.

The published figures for fuel consumption as defined in the Getz brochure
are controlled by a nominated government agency from within the EEC. The
test criteria are determined by the European Union Directive 93/116/EC and
are intended to give new car buyers information to allow comparisons
between other vehicle makes and models.

I can appreciate that these figures play a major part in the decision to
buy a new vehicle, but due to the need to be strictly comparable, the
results should not be considered as fully representative of true-life
driving conditions. The fuel consumption of any model type will vary
depending upon driving circumstances e.g. the number of cold starts,
number of accelerations and journey type will all have a marked effect. As
will weather conditions, tyre pressures, air conditioning switched on or
off, weight carried and so on.

This point is made by the UK Department of Transport in their publication
"New Car Fuel Consumption - The Official Figures". This booklet states
that:

Because of the need to maintain strict comparability of results achieved
by the standard tests they cannot be fully representative of real-life
driving conditions...few motorists drive in towns from a fully warmed-up
start or, outside towns at a constant 56mph or 75mph. There are infinite
variations in driving styles and in road, car and weather conditions, all
of which can have a bearing on the results achieved. For these reasons
the fuel consumption achieved on the road will not necessarily accord with
the official test results.

This booklet is readily available either from the following website, or
from your dealer, should you wish to gain further information on the
tests.

Further to the information that can be found from this publication, I can
provide some information relating to the tests themselves. This source for
this information is the Vehicle Certification Agency website [who is the
UK appointed agency by the Department of Transport to perform such tests].

www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk

The cars tested have to be run in and must have been driven for at least
1,800 miles (3,000 Kilometers) before testing.

The Urban Cycle
The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient
temperature of 20° C to 30° C on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e.
the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series
of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed
is 31mph (50 km/h), average speed 12mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered
is 2.5 miles (4 km).

The Extra-urban Cycle
This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists
of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations,
decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h),
average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7
km).

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure
The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle
together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test,
weighted by the distances covered in each part.

Furthermore, it must be appreciated that the test is conducted with no
driver or passenger within the vehicle, that a different oil type is used
and that air resistance will not play a part whilst in the laboratory
environment. The level of acceleration and deceleration is set on the
test, and may vary considerably to the level given by different drivers in
practical environments.

I understand that the fuel consumption figures you are getting are
concerning you; if you feel that there is something wrong with your
vehicle I would advise that you take the vehicle to your Hyundai
dealership who will be able to investigate your concerns.

Further to your concerns regarding the Getz ABS Recall, I can confirm the
following. I have spoken to our Warranty Department here at Hyundai Motor
UK Ltd who have advised that at present there is no outstanding recall for
your vehicle.

I trust you will find this information useful. If you should have any
further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact a member of our
Customer Services Team on the number below.

Yours sincerely,

Clare Field
Customer Services Team
Hyundai Motor UK Ltd

[email protected]
08705 329980

HYUNDAI: A CAR FIRST. A BADGE SECOND

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a 1.5L petrol getz and i constantly get 14km per liter of fuel 6.9L per 100kms, sometimes 6L per 100kms but i changed the air filter for a k&n and spark plugs to iridium and use synthetic oil 5w-30castrol synthetic with a free flow muffler. i used to get around 8L per 100kms before.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi, i just filled up tonight and i got 495km to 35 litres of fuel that i put back into the car. it works out to be about 7l/100km.

did we chat at repco trentoss?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just got (friday) a 1.6 liter getz and in the catalogue it says it drinks 6liters/100km for combinational driving. Well today was my second tank (507 km total :)) and my average was 8,17liter/100km. And I wasn't "pedal to the metal" at anytime.

Too much! But I hope it will drop, the car is new anyway and fitted with 195/45 R16 tyres. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I owned a Nissan Sunny for about six months, mine was a top of the range, electric this and electric that, but it was very under-powered, big car with a too small engine, so I then went again for a Nissan, a Almera 1.6 SLX, I traded that it in after 5 years of no problems for the Getz (due to marital pressure), big,big mistake I wish I still had the Almera, very economical to run, a lot faster and a good looking motor car, all round, in my opinion a lot better than the Getz, I hate to say this about the Getz, but in MY opinion that's how I feel. My Almera gave me no trouble at all, but for some unknown reason it attracted other cars to run into it, in supermarket car-parks etc: so I ended up with a car that on the outside looked like it had just come back from Iraq, but otherwise (like every Nissan) it could go on for another 100,000 miles without any problems. Sorry to be so negative towards the Getz, but that is my and my opinion alone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, but i don't think you should compare a 1.6 engine with a 1.3 (and with the automatic gearbox).I don't think is fair... And i don't think that you have any other problem with the car, have you? At least from what i have read so far... Of course the Almera is a very good car :thumbsup: but i don't think that you can compare them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Problems! you don't want to know! but I will tell you anyway, ABS stopped working, fixed no problem, sun-roof jammed solid, again fixed, stereo CD player stopped working, fitted new unit, latest back brakes shuddering through the car when braking, again fixed, I am waiting for the next with baited breath, all of these problems do not include the on board computer being programmed for the American market, which leaves you with a computer that is as much good as a chocolate ashtray, because it is in American MPG etc, when I complained about this to Hyundai, that sent me a chart for working out the difference between American and UK Gallons, now that is great "The Customer Is Always Right" adverts when I got my Getz in 2004, I did contact them on the computer thing for about six months, but it that time they never replied once, so now I have given up. I did send Hyundai a email complaining again, about what should be the correct bulbs for the Getz, they told me that H7 was the correct bulb for the front fog-lights, so a purchased a couple, when I came to fit them!!! no way, the ones I was taking out were H27, when I contacted Hyundai about how they had just cost me £17, the reply I got was; "Which person (name required) gave you that advice, then maybe we can get to the bottom of the email". Anyway I have gone on too long now, so have a good day.

P.S: Just a word to "gplata", my last five cars have been automatics!!!!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oops!!! :innocent: You really have a reason to complain, then. From the car and also from Hyundai themselves. Sorry to hear about it. You must have a ''Monday car'' for sure !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts