Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive officially had my car 3 weeks yesterday and as of about a week ago.. when there is no ac/heat blower on, obviously there is a small amount of air coming from the vents. its been smelling a little bit like cigarettes. I do not smoke, so its a little weird to be smelling that.. i assume the previous owner was a smoker..

my question is.. will a simple cabin filter change take care of the smell?? i remember in my previous vehicles.. spraying some lysol inside the cowl outside the car to get rid of some smells..

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
First check the filter. If it is dirty, change it yourself.

The do sell some with a kind of air fresh smell. I have never tried them but I don't think they are too expensive.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I think the Fresh Breeze ones have charcoal in them to absorb odors. If that's not enough you may need to have the car ozone treated.

Possible you could have some mold buildup on the condenser too.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
try shampooing the headliner, carpet, and change the cabin filter maybe use a compressor to clear up the lines... then you should be able to get the smell out.

Another possibility would be to take orange peels, leave them in overnight a few nights as orange peels are able to absorb odor.

fortunately the new sonata uses good material so smell doesn't stick too much and it's removable...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's more in the lines then anything else.. If I go in the car it smells nice.. Even with the ac on 1 it doesn't really smell.. Just when the blower is off and there's some air coming through the vents.. Almost like a mildew cigarette smell.. Small but I still notice it..

I just checked the cabin filter and my goodness this thing was filled with all sorts of dirt and bugs and bird remains haha.. I had no choice but to spend 25 bucks at autozone for a new filter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it hasn't been changed when I dropped the glove box and there was about 78 napkins flattened between the cabin filter door and the back of the glove box.. I grabbed a picture ill post in a little of the actual filter

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Cigarette goo sticks to everything it comes in contact with and the stench comes off that goo. I think it's probably coated the inside of the vents. It also would have permeated the fabric in the interior as well. Very tough to get rid of I'm afraid, perhaps an auto detailer might have some experience in ridding a car of ciggy smell. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts